IGNORED

Meltdown

shadow460

Well, there are only two light gun games I've liked better than the ones I've got on the 7800. They are both arcade versions. The best, IMO is the original Time Crisis, followed closely by The Lost World.

I've owned Time Crisis (PSX), Area 51, Rebel Assault II, Virtua Cop, and Duck Hunt. I still own Virtua Cop 2, Crossbow, and Meltdown.

Yes, these games are far better than any other home light gun game I've ever played, and most arcade ones, too.

I get Alien Brigade and Barnyard Blaster next week. I have to work on Alien Brigade (the cart case and labels are already made), and I don't expect much from Barnyard Blaster.

Sometime soon I will order PAL Sentinel from 4Jays. It should play fine on my Commodore 1701 (It's got a V hold adjustment).

Now who's gonna hack Crack'ed for light gun use and sell it to me?

Sometime soon I will order PAL Sentinel from 4Jays.  It should play fine on my Commodore 1701 (It's got a V hold adjustment).

968990[/snapback]

Actually it won't play at all. You're better off picking up an NTSC version from Lee.

http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/7800_carts.htm

Mitch

How does 7800 Sentinel rate in comparison to 2600 Sentinel gameplay wise?

969040[/snapback]

The game play is pretty much the same but has WAY better graphics.

969110[/snapback]

Not to mention the higher difficulty.

Mitch

Thanks for the tip, Mitch.  I also know now where to get Klax.

I thought PAL games caused an NTSC screen to roll, which could be corrected by adjusting the vertical hold.

If NTSC is out there, though, I'd rather have that anyway.

969187[/snapback]

That's true of 2600 games but the NTSC 7800s have an authentication scheme which was not included on the PAL 7800 carts. You can install an alternate BIOS to get around it but it's really not worth it.

Mitch

I thought PAL games caused an NTSC screen to roll, which could be corrected by adjusting the vertical hold.

If NTSC is out there, though, I'd rather have that anyway.

969187[/snapback]

That's true of 2600 games but the NTSC 7800s have an authentication scheme which was not included on the PAL 7800 carts. You can install an alternate BIOS to get around it but it's really not worth it.

969212[/snapback]

Unlike the 2600 where the number of lines per frame is under software control, the 7800 generates a set number of lines per frame depending on whether it's PAL or NTSC. Although a PAL 7800 will try to execute a NTSC game, it may have problems because it expects to handle 50 additional lines so it will run off the end of the DLL data. This might cause garbage to be displayed at the bottom, or it could cause the game to lock up. (Probably because a DLI was invoked.)

The lack of a digital signature will prevent an unmodified NTSC 7800 from executing a PAL game. (Which has a better chance of working, depending on what those 50 missing lines contain.)

Edited by EricBall

I forgot about the digital signature.

I'd have paid $35 for Sentinel shipped and then shelved it, realizing too late I needed an NTSC.

:dunce:

969789[/snapback]

Don't you dare put that game on a shelf. When you get it you plug that bad boy in and enjoy it!! It's one of the best for the 7800 IMO, and 2nd best for the lightgun on the 7800 for sure. (2nd to alien brigade). And if it's sealed oh well, it's only plastic, rip it off and gewt that cart in action!!

I love Meltdown its a seriously under-rated game. I agree though it does come second to Alien Brigade, though its close. Sentinal is a nice game too, quite tough but probaly the 3rd best gun game. It would be cool if that Shooting Gallery game ever came out, i'd really love another gun game.

I forgot about the digital signature.

I'd have paid $35 for Sentinel shipped and then shelved it, realizing too late I needed an NTSC.

:dunce:

969789[/snapback]

Don't you dare put that game on a shelf. When you get it you plug that bad boy in and enjoy it!! It's one of the best for the 7800 IMO, and 2nd best for the lightgun on the 7800 for sure. (2nd to alien brigade). And if it's sealed oh well, it's only plastic, rip it off and gewt that cart in action!!

969829[/snapback]

Mitch is right, tho', about the PAL version not working. Although I will change the BIOS in my 7800 someday, it's NTSC right now.

I'll go after a NTSC version after the holidays, probably. I like the idea of defending stuff in a gun game.

Seems that three of them have you defending stuff instead of just killing.