IGNORED

Easiest SIO2PC to make?

kevin242

I have found tons of different plans for SIO2PC, I want one for my 65xe so I can

use a PC as a virtual hard drive. What is the easiest one to make? Can someone

please direct to me a link to easiest plans, so I can go out and buy the parts this

weekend?

thanks

Kevin

Why not just buy one? I got mine from Atarimax for a good price -- his supports all current protocols and it works very well -- very solid, professional construction. About the only thing you'd have to do is maybe build a little casing for it, since it shows up bare like the one pictured in the above link.

(No, I'm not his pitchman, I was just happy with the service and the device)

The 1 chip version (1489 IC). Only a dozen or so solder connections, and it fits easily into a small project box + breadboard.

I did it that way, and using a section of ribbon cable for the DB9 plug speeds things up a bit. I only have wires which are pushed into the SIO plug holes though.

My next one will be a built-in job for the 130XE though. I'm going to use an old circuit board from an ancient serial mouse. It has the holes required for the IC, and even has the 10uF capacitor already soldered in, as well as a diode! Plus it has a little header plug (like a PC floppy power connector) which I am going to use to interface to the DB9, which will allow the motherboard to be easily removed from the XE. Only thing left to do is sever most of the tracers and trim the board down to size.

I would suggest: 1. use an IC socket. 2. get yourself a cheap hot glue-gun.

Hmm, I built a few 2 chip ones, though I'll be damned if I can find the schematics. It was easy and I piggybacked the chips onto one another. The whole assembly fit nicely in a shielded DB25 housing.

Though as Mindfield said, getting one from Steve at Atarimax is a nice easy way to go. I have one of his and built a little housing for it, I like the LEDs :)