IGNORED

Intellivision vs. Colecovision: Which 1 you like?

Hi there!

I tend to play my intellivision more, due to the ton of unique titles.

Uhm... so how do you manage to use the controler for longer than 10 minutes?

Greetings,

Manuel

973435[/snapback]

EXACTLY. I would love to play mine more, but it literally HURTS to press the fire button over and over. At least a couple of games have auto fire (Demon Attack comes to mind). There has got to be a way to mod those buttons...

Depends. Certainly, the CV is prettier and plays Arcade games VASTLY better. If I want to play Spy Hunter, Donkey Kong or Mr Do!, it's the CV all the way. Action games are (almost) always better and faster on the CV.

INTV has more 'thinking man' games, even if they are uglier. Games like the 2 AD&D games, Utopia, Sea Battle, Sub Hunt, Swords and Serpents and the like. A lot of good two player stuff too, as well as gads of fantastic original titles that you can play nowhere else like Diner, Thunder Castle, White Water and Tower of Doom. The Imagic selection on this system is fantastic. In fairness, the CV does have a couple of great RPG/Strategy games like Gateway to Apshai (best game on the CV actually).

I guess it kind of depends what mood I'm in. Arcade/Action and it is the Coleco. RPG/Strategy and it's the INTV. BOTH systems require that you have a decent sized colection of their respective libraries to give a fair estimate.

I tend to play my intellivision more, due to the ton of unique titles. Arcade stuff tends to get split between the 5200/NES/CV.

I never get caught up in the 'which system has better graphics' debate. I mean, come on, if you're going that route go play your xbox. Good games are good games. I base my likes /dislikes on the quality of the titles, and in my book, the systems are about equal in this regard, depending on your tastes.

Which is what it comes down to anyway.

973250[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. I actually find myself playing my Intellivision far more than my Colecovision. I actually got my Intellivision and my first games as a throw in on an ebay purchase I made last year. I never really wanted one and thought I'd hate it. Now I play it all the time. As far as the controllers go, I don't get all the negativity for them. I mean everyone acts like the ColecoVision controllers are great, they aren't by a long shot. It might be just me but I don't mind the intellivision controllers that much at all. They're part of what gives the system it's unique flavor.

Hi there!

I tend to play my intellivision more, due to the ton of unique titles.

They aren't THAT bad.

Granted, an alternative would be much appreciated, but relative to some other monstrosities...

They aren't THAT bad.

Granted, an alternative would be much appreciated, but relative to some other monstrosities...

973544[/snapback]

... such as the Fairchild Channel F controllers ... :(

I actually get used to the Intellivision controllers after a while (and I have an Intellivision II, and those controllers are worse than most). I only play it in short bursts, so I've never had any hand cramp problems. An alternative controller would be nice, though.

Hi there!

They aren't THAT bad.

They are. I have no problem with Shark Shark! or Happy Trails or any other game that doesn't use the fire buttons at all or at least rarely, but how someone really manages to play Defender, Commando or Atlantis with them is beyond my imagination.

Greetings,

Manuel

It's really a shame too because the INTV Atlantis not only looks great but is much more interesting than the VCS counterpart. I can't play it for more than 10 minutes without really bad hand cramping though.

I've been considering adding good fire buttons to the controllers like I did for the 5200 sticks I have but since they are hardwired, I'm a little wary of making the whole system unusable if I screw something up.

Edited by joeybastard

I like the Intellivision better. A couple of the titles for the Coleco stand out a bit further than the greatest of the Inty library, but the Inty library is better overall.

In fact, Venture, which used to be a big draw to the Coleco for me, is better on the Inty than on the Colecovision.

As for controllers, the Colecovision had about the worst ever made. They cramped the hell out of my hands and were unresponsive pieces of shit to boot. The Inty disc and pez buttons, while bad in their own right, are heaven in comparison.

As for controllers, the Colecovision had about the worst ever made.  They cramped the hell out of my hands and were unresponsive pieces of shit to boot.  The Inty disc and pez buttons, while bad in their own right, are heaven in comparison.

974186[/snapback]

But the kicker is you can always use another controller on the CV while you're stuck with the INTV crap all of the time. That seems to solve any controller comparisons for me.

Besides even standard CV sticks are more comfortable than the INTV discs.

Definetly the Colecovision. My biggest gripe with the Intellivision (other than the controllers) is that pretty much every game used the internal character set. This means that all the games have the same general look to them (like the running man). The graphics also have a 'tiled' look to them which bugs me as well (the NES had a similar problem).

Tempest

I like the Intellivision better.  A couple of the titles for the Coleco stand out a bit further than the greatest of the Inty library, but the Inty library is better overall. 

In fact, Venture, which used to be a big draw to the Coleco for me, is better on the Inty than on the Colecovision.

As for controllers, the Colecovision had about the worst ever made.  They cramped the hell out of my hands and were unresponsive pieces of shit to boot.  The Inty disc and pez buttons, while bad in their own right, are heaven in comparison.

974186[/snapback]

I agree 100% Between the 2 I'd go Intellivision

supercolecorear1nq.jpg

No more questions! :x

From a gamer's stand point I'd say that the ColecoVision is a ton better, not to mention a far superior list of 3rd party controllers available for it for all of those who complain about the standard controller.

From a modder's stand point I'd say that the ColecoVision is a ton better, a lot more options and upgrades are available. (see above picture)

I'm partial to the Intellivision myself. Every time I play Astrosmash, I end up playing for about an hour. Never had [physical] problems with the controller.

Only played Colecovision once, and its games were pretty, but somehow I've never felt compelled to get one. The controller didn't really do it for me either.

I have played Intellivision before, but I've never played the Colecovision, but have seen it at a pawn shop (the same one where I bought my Atari 5200 and 7800).  I was thinking of getting it.  Would you recommend going for it or wait until an INTV comes around? :?:  :?:  :?:

972584[/snapback]

hands down colecovision :D

supercolecorear1nq.jpg

No more questions!  :x

From a gamer's stand point I'd say that the ColecoVision is a ton better, not to mention a far superior list of 3rd party controllers available for it for all of those who complain about the standard controller. 

From a modder's stand point I'd say that the ColecoVision is a ton better, a lot more options and upgrades are available.  (see above picture)

974383[/snapback]

holy crap!!!! i never saw those rca's on the back of any colecovision i owned! where did you get one with those rcas on the back!?!?!?!?!?!

supercolecorear1nq.jpg

No more questions!  :x

From a modder's stand point I'd say that the ColecoVision is a ton better, a lot more options and upgrades are available.  (see above picture)

974383[/snapback]

holy crap!!!! i never saw those rca's on the back of any colecovision i owned! where did you get one with those rcas on the back!?!?!?!?!?!

976504[/snapback]

It's a very rare prototype of the Colecovision 2, which was going to add a 256-bit color pallete, scaling and rotation, advanced polygon effects, and 8-channel DTS-ES sound. Scheduled for release in 1989, it would've made the PS2 look like a primitive toy.

Sadly, the cost of ROM prevented the development of anything more than a few demos that looked only marginally better than StarFox. As the CD hadn't been invented yet, Coleco wiselychose to shelve the project.

976504[/snapback]

It's a very rare prototype of the Colecovision 2, which was going to add a 256-bit color pallete, scaling and rotation, advanced polygon effects, and 8-channel DTS-ES sound. Scheduled for release in 1989, it would've made the PS2 look like a primitive toy.

Sadly, the cost of ROM prevented the development of anything more than a few demos that looked only marginally better than StarFox. As the CD hadn't been invented yet, Coleco wiselychose to shelve the project.

976513[/snapback]

Aww...be nice now.

Thats actually a custom modded CV. Doubledown is like the wizard of the CV with that stuff. He modded my on/off switch and it's worked great ever since. ;)

Colecovision 2 :roll:

Edited by jetset

It's a very rare prototype of the Colecovision 2, which was going to add a 256-bit color pallete, scaling and rotation, advanced polygon effects, and 8-channel DTS-ES sound.  Scheduled for release in 1989, it would've made the PS2 look like a primitive toy.

976513[/snapback]

Thank god they shelved it before release. All those 1989 people would have just hated it because it offered "nothing new just lot's more power and better graphics!".

:P :D

It's a very rare prototype of the Colecovision 2, which was going to add a 256-bit color pallete, scaling and rotation, advanced polygon effects, and 8-channel DTS-ES sound.  Scheduled for release in 1989, it would've made the PS2 look like a primitive toy.

976513[/snapback]

Thank god they shelved it before release. All those 1989 people would have just hated it because it offered "nothing new just lot's more power and better graphics!".

:P :D

976556[/snapback]

Well, if he had a complete CV2 instead of just the console you'd also see the 3D headset and motion-tracking SuperAction controller that were going to come bundled with the system.