IGNORED

Hard question about Lynx

Merlee

the Gamegear and Gameboy had better looking games,

985930[/snapback]

The original Gameboy had better looking games? :rolling: :lolblue:

985954[/snapback]

yep, show me a game on the lynx that looks better than Kirby, or Metroid II, as for the GameGear, any Sonic game looks better than Lynx games.

Mr.Dumbass, you can't explain it because your fanboyism has taken over your commen sense logic. Just sit down and play the SNES or Mega Drive, pop in Chrono trigger, or Sonic 1,2,3 and play for 5 mins, then pop in Super Mario World, or Rocket Knight Adventures and come back and tell me the Lynx is better than those 2 systems. It's just common sense man nobody but a true dillusioned fanboy is going to say the Lynx was capable of anything better or even stuff on par of the SNES or Megadrive. IT is completely false and you cannot show me one game to prove it.

It's also funny how the mods haven't locked this thread yet, maybe they're even waiting for you to show something to prove us all wrong.

Edited by JagFan422

the Gamegear and Gameboy had better looking games,

985930[/snapback]

The original Gameboy had better looking games? :rolling: :lolblue:

985954[/snapback]

yep, show me a game on the lynx that looks better than Kirby, or Metroid II, as for the GameGear, any Sonic game looks better than Lynx games.

Mr.Dumbass, you can't explain it because your fanboyism has taken over your commen sense logic. Just sit down and play the SNES or Mega Drive, pop in Chrono trigger, or Sonic 1,2,3 and play for 5 mins, then pop in Super Mario World, or Rocket Knight Adventures and come back and tell me the Lynx is better than those 2 systems. It's just common sense man nobody but a true dillusioned fanboy is going to say the Lynx was capable of anything better or even stuff on par of the SNES or Megadrive. IT is completely false and you cannot show me one game to prove it.

It's also funny how the mods haven't locked this thread yet, maybe they're even waiting for you to show something to prove us all wrong.

989792[/snapback]

My god you are stupid! :rolling: :rolling:

5 Points:

1. That wasn't even my quote.

2. I NEVER said the Lynx was better than the Megadrive or SNES (read the post properly!) only said it was comparable. The original quote was taken from a magazine.

3. You are the only person on the entire planet that thinks any Gamegear game, sonic or not, looks better than any Lynx game. The GG only has an 8-bit graphics engine, Lynx = 16-bit.

4. They havn't locked this thread because we ALL love laughing at what an idiot you are! (notice how the others have agreed with me!)

5. When you have programmed any game on any machine come back to me, or when you've found your brain.

3. You are the only person on the entire planet that thinks any Gamegear game, sonic or not, looks better than any Lynx game. The GG only has an 8-bit graphics engine, Lynx = 16-bit.

4. They havn't locked this thread because we ALL love laughing at what an idiot you are! (notice how the others have agreed with me!)

989856[/snapback]

I actually think that most GG games do look better than the lynx's library. Scaling or not, the environments were much more colorful and nice, mostly attributed to better game design as opposed to more poewrful hardware mind you.

I still don't agree with you :P

And I think a few other people don't either

And again, ENOUGH OF THIS, this topic has had enough stay.

Edited by TailChao

I actually think that most GG games do look better than the lynx's library. Scaling or not, the environments were much more colorful and nice.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Colourful and nice!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I can't believe a programmer made a statement like that!

Edited by mr.kizza

I'm sorry, but I assumed art was a major part of game design, or am I incorrect at that?

989869[/snapback]

I actully have an art qualification and have never heard the statement colourful and nice used. The GG has exactly the same number of colours as the Lynx but can display more but the Lynx does have a better screen so I think its even there. It depends what you term as "nice", I think Lynx games look "nice" and many GG games too but I personally think Lynx games look nicer. Some agree, others don't. I own most consoles, and computers for that matter, and I admit I am a bit of an Atari fanboy but, I might be mistaken though, I thought thats what this forum was about, a love for Atari. I have spent most of my day playing on my Saturn and love that very much. This topic might rest if people stop misquoting me (or others) and just be happy in the knowledge that they own the best handheld ever (personal opinion) and in my favourite machine in my vast collection.

Edited by mr.kizza

I'm sorry, but I assumed art was a major part of game design, or am I incorrect at that?

989869[/snapback]

This topic might rest if people stop misquoting me (or others) and just be happy in the knowledge that they own the best handheld ever (personal opinion) and in my favourite machine in my vast collection.

989873[/snapback]

I agree with this, lets end at this point :)

(You too JagFan, I think we've all had enough of this topic)

Edited by TailChao

I don't want to continue this into a flame war or anything, but I thought some interesting points and comparisons were made. As we all know it isn't the system that makes the games appealing, it's the games that make the system appealing. And in that department GB and GG had the Lynx beat ten-fold. However, the Lynx does have it's shining moments, probably more so than any of Atari's other modern efforts in my opinion. I enjoy my Lynx and think it was truly a marvel at the time. Yes, with some flaws in the scheme but I still think it's damn fun. :)

Find me a game on the Lynx, from the era of when the Lynx was not a dead system, that looks as good or better than Super Mario Land 2, Metroid II, Battle Unit Zeoth, Sonic Drift or Sonic Chaos (gamegear). Very few look 8-bit?? So what are they 6-bit? Very few look better than Gameboy or Gamegear games.

982385[/snapback]

I know this was posted a few weeks back, and I don't want to build up into a flame war, but to answer the question I'd point to a lot of the Epyx games as being graphically proficient from both a technical and artistic perspective. In my opinion, the four launch titles (California Games, Blue Lightning, Electrocop, and Gates of Zendocon) truly do look better than just about anything on GB or GG. I'd even go as far as to say those games would measure up by GBA standards, and they came out over 16 years ago! Slime World and Zarlor Mercenary are also attractive games that Epyx released a little later.

I could rattle off a lot more names of games that I feel look good, particularly the arcade conversions. I'll just say that in general, when a conversion of the same game was released on the Lynx as on GB and/or GG, the Lynx version almost always looked noticeably superior to the GB/GG versions.

Gee, if i was to guess, i'd say the Lynx could barely pump out graphics better than the NES let alone the SNES. 

982385[/snapback]

I've played RoadBlasters on the Lynx and the NES. Believe me when I say that there is absolutely no contest here--the Lynx version looks way better, especially when you see it in motion. It might not be instantly evident from the screens you posted (particularly where the Lynx screens are enlarged to almost double their natural resolution), but play them both on the actual hardware, and the difference is quite apparent.

this is turning into a flame war pretty quickly :D

992751[/snapback]

Flame war, blah. This calls for a real console shootout war! Now we need to port a first person shooter to all the platforms mentioned above and make some magic communications hardware. Then we can all go out to shoot some UDP packets over the net at all these inferior platforms and show the world that the Lynx is the winner.

--

Cheers,

Karri

And while we are on the subject has anybody used Handy's TCP/IP connectivity for multiplayer games? Some kind of ComLynx <-> UDP client/server would be cool. Even at just 9600 bauds it could be used for turn based games.

I do own Gates Of Zendecon and though it is a good looking game, you cannot say it measures up to GBA at all. Just play Iridion II or Gradius Galaxies and you will instantly retract your thought. And any shooter on the TG-16 looks better. But the TG-16 in my opinion was the best system for space shooters, even the SNES or Genny couldn't match some of the games in that dept. again, in my opinion.

I do own Gates Of Zendecon and though it is a good looking game, you cannot say it measures up to GBA at all.  Just play Iridion II or Gradius Galaxies and you will instantly retract your thought.

993173[/snapback]

Well, I haven't played Gradius Galaxies, but I have played Iridion II (and have a fairly high ranking on the official online scoreboards), and I do agree that it is surely beyond the Lynx's capabilities. But, it's also one of the finest games on the system, and one of the few games that really pushes the GBA hardware to its limits. You'll get no argument from me that the GBA's most graphically intense games can easily outperform those of the Lynx--but that's to be expected when GBA hardware is more than 11 years newer.

When I said that Gates of Zendocon would "measure up" to GBA, I didn't necessarily mean that it would exceed the best that GBA has to offer, but rather that it would look perfectly acceptable alongside the typical GBA game. You were talking about accounting for artistic qualities--well, I think that Gates of Zendocon looks good enough that it could stand toe-to-toe with the average GBA game released today, and not seem hopelessly outdated like it came from a decade and a half ago.

Or, to put it this way: If Gates of Zendocon were released now (in the year 2006) on GBA, with no changes in graphics, sound, or gameplay...it would still be considered a great game, and better than most of the shoot-em-up games that currently exist for the system.