IGNORED

couple of quick/dumb questions.....

MaDDuck

hey!

I'm on the fence about gettign an 8B system and have a few questions:

1. Is there a rarity guide/complete list availible like AA does for other atari systems?

2. Does the XEgs have monitor output, or just RF?

3. I have a SVHS custom video cable for my C-64, will it work on a 65 or 130XE?

4. Is there a current FAQ anywhere?? I can only find old/crusty ones! :roll:

5. Which of the many floppy drives is best?

Thanks all!!

Edited by MaDDuck

1. Is there a rarity guide/complete list availible like AA does for other atari systems

Yes, check Atarimania.

2. Does the XEgs have monitor output, or just RF?

Composite video, no monitor, anyway any modern tv looks superb with the XEGS, all the other A8 have monitor outputs.

3. I have a SVHS custom video cable for my C-64, will it work on a 65 or 130XE?

There's a mod for Super video somewhere on the web.

4. Is there a current FAQ anywhere?? I can only find old/crusty ones!

Atari 8-bit Faq. Michel Current updates the faq every month.

In my personal opinion a 1050 with happy installed is the best option.

Hope it helps.

javier.

S-Video mod among others is covered here:

http://www.geocities.com/atarimods/index.html

The C64 monitor output is slightly different. I'm fairly sure that the audio output is on a different pin and that the C64 doesn't have chroma output.

The easiest option is to build a cable yourself, with a 3.5 mm audio plug and an RCA plug for composite video.

I did that initially, then built an internal S-Video plug into my 130XE.

An APE interface is a must-have as well. It's covered on the site in the link.

S-Video mod among others is covered here:

http://www.geocities.com/atarimods/index.html

The C64 monitor output is slightly different.  I'm fairly sure that the audio output is on a different pin and that the C64 doesn't have chroma output.

The easiest option is to build a cable yourself, with a 3.5 mm audio plug and an RCA plug for composite video.

I did that initially, then built an internal S-Video plug into my 130XE.

An APE interface is a must-have as well.  It's covered on the site in the link.

974231[/snapback]

actually it does have a chroma, here's the pinout:

post-7472-1133376878_thumb.jpg

Edited by MaDDuck

In my personal opinion a 1050 with happy installed is the best option.

If you have a 1050 drive, which is not upgraded, have a look at the following link: ABBUC Forum: 1050 TDS Upgrade

It´s a German thread, but you can send a message to megahz and ask him for this great upgrade. He engineered the whole CompyShop Speedy new and has done very well work. This is actually the best speeder for the 1050 - both stability and speed.

PPS, Although i havent seen the URL link you posted... The compyshop 1050 upgrade that you make mention of is the speedy or super/turbo speedy 1050

Both versions of the speedy 1050 compyshop upgrades are slightly newer european versions of the famous British 1050 happy clone, but slightly faster data transmission rates called Lazer/warp lazer 1050 or Hyperdrive 1050 (which is lazer 1050 under another name)

Edited by carmel_andrews

I have Wolframs upgrade here as well, I'll try and post some photos of it.

Its well built and even though its more expensive than a Happy, its well worth the cost.

Edit: Found the photo.

Steve

post-934-1133435468_thumb.jpg

Edited by classics

So.....

Where can a guy go to actually buy those upgrades here in the US?

I noticed that www.myatari.com has the Happy upgrades, but that's it. Sheesh, and I thought JiffyDOS was expensive!

and WTF is the deal with the SIO to PC connectivity, sounds neet, but I just don't 'get it'???

Well, i have the Atarimax happy 1050 and it works great, no problem in my drive, i think the price is right, Let's support the few developers for 8-bit stuff, ok?. Don't let them go.

Now, the sio2pc, let's you use any Microsoft based computer as an slave for the A8-bit. Great isn't it, you can configure it as a hard drive and handle your disks virtually on the PC, you can build it yourself or you can buy one out.

Javier.

Now, the sio2pc, let's you use any Microsoft based computer as an slave for the A8-bit. Great isn't it, you can configure it as a hard drive and handle your disks virtually on the PC, you can build it yourself or you can buy one out.

Don´t forget to mention that the sio2pc also works with ATARI ST & Apple Computers...

For the ST you´ll need an adaptor to connect it to its 25pin "modem" connector, but it works fine.

Don´t forget to mention that the sio2pc also works with ATARI ST & Apple Computers...

For the ST you´ll need an adaptor to connect it to its 25pin "modem" connector, but it works fine.

975302[/snapback]

SIO2PC works with an Apple? Please explain? I was given an Apple II+ with a disk drive but very few floppies - Id like to use this more but cant find software anywhere - utilizing my SIO2PC would be great!

SIO2PC works with an Apple?  Please explain?  I was given an Apple II+ with a disk drive but very few floppies - Id like to use this more but cant find software anywhere - utilizing my SIO2PC would be great!

Hmm, I meant the macintosh series. Not the 8 bit ones. You´ll have to use MacOS 8 to X to get sio2pc work.

If the apple II had a (fast) RS232-Port, it could be somehow realized to have connection via sio2pc - don´t know.