IGNORED

Fixing a 7800

bfutrel

Good news - I found my 7800! Woohoo! :D

Bad news - it does not work. :sad:

There seems to be some rust or something on the back of the circuit board near the power connector.

Actually after removing the shielding, there is quite a bit of rust on most of the solder joints. Rats!

Any suggestions besides getting another one? It appears to be a 1984 system based on what is stenciled onto the circuit board.

Found quite a few games with it too...

7800 games

Ikari Warriors, Asteroids, Xevious

Desert Falcon, Centipede, Joust

Tower Toppler (x2), One-on-One, Donkey Kong Jr

Food Fight (my fave!), Galaga, Pole Position 2

Ms. Pac Man, Barnyard Blaster, Choplifter

Robotron: 2084, Summer Games, Jinks

Fatal Run, Karateka, Dig Dug

Ballblazer

2600 games

Atari:

Swordquest Earthworld, Super Breakout, Berzerk,

Missile Command, ET,

Realsports Baseball (case cracked by Dad's boot :ponder: ), Bowling,

Millipede, Star Raiders (no keypad),

Circus Atari, Vanguard, Jr Pac Man,

Solaris, Battlezone, MouseTrap

Sears Tele-Games:

Space Invaders, Stellar Track

M Network:

Super Challenge Football, Super Challenge Baseball, Dark Cavern,

Armor Ambush, Air Raiders, Astroblast,

Tron Deadly Discs, Adventures of Tron

Imagic:

Demon Attack, DragonFire,

Quick Step, Solar Storm,

Cosmic Ark, Riddle of the Sphinx

Coleco:

Carnival

Sega:

Tapper, Star Trek: SOS

Activision:

Starmaster, Grand Prix, Spider Fighter

River Raid (pirate)

US Games:

Commando Raid, M.A.D., Entombed

Parker Brothers:

Tutankham, Q*Bert, Reactor

When you say it's broken, what exactly does it do or not do?

Mitch

975257[/snapback]

It powers up (the red LED is on), but shows no picture at all. The last time I had the system out, it would show green and orange vertical bars on the TV until you tinkered with the cartridge a few times.

Most likely it does work okay. Needs a cleaning no doubt. Search a bit and you'll see some good ways to clean out the cart slot of your 7800. If it had issues before you stored it away...they won't have gone away over time and will have worsened. When I finally pulled my 7800 and games out of 10 year storage, I had to clean all the cartridges and the cart slot on the 7800 as well before I could even get 1 game to work. Haven't had to clean it since...and that was about 6 years ago now...

I've got to agree with Cro§Bow, try cleaning the carts as well as the cart slot and see if that takes care of it. When they don't get used for a while the corrosion builds up to the point where nothing plays.

Good luck!

Mitch

Well, you can cut down one from another system or improvise. A thin cloth dipped in Isopropyl alcohol wrapped around an old credit card should work.

Mitch

975793[/snapback]

I've got that readily available. I'll give it a try, then, and see if it'll register the memory card a little easier.

Very High Grit sand paper? I think you meant a Very FINE grit sand paper. If you use a high grit paper..then the contacts will just be scratched up and not really corrosion cleaned or resurfaced as I would like to call it. If you use a fine grit paper like that used to get mirror polish on heatsink faces and to smooth down CPUs...then that would do a much better job of cleaning/polishing the contacts.

To be honest, the Saturn has such small pins that it really is a bear to clean that cart slot. Mine also doesn't seem to see the memory cart well. But these problems went away when I finally got my 4-1 action replay plus cart. It appears to have a slightly thicker PCB and makes better contact in my Saturn's cart slot.

usually yes...the Action Replay is made by Interact. And it is a Memory Card Plus that I also have trouble with on my Saturn. However, this action replay plus 4-1 is only Action replay code compatible. It isn't made by Interact. I don't know who makes it...but it is considered hands down, to be about the best add on card you can get for the Saturn. The best memory card in general is the actual Saturn Backup cart from Sega. But those tend to get even more expensive than the 4-1 carts do like I have. You can't save to the 4-1 directly from within game like you can to the Sega memory card, or sometimes to the memory card plus (When it works...). But you can store a ton of saves in the cart by backing up what you have in the Saturn's internal save.

Funny how you also mention the same memory cart as I with regards to the problems. As I understand it, the Interact Memory Card plus is one of the worst for the Saturn in general.

Yep it is, and that's why some of the local stores smash them when they come in.

The more Memory Card Plusses that get smashed, the merrier.

I also had a gob of problems with both Gamesharks. I'm going to go out of my way to avoid and to warn everyone I see to avoid all InterAct products that aren't controllers of some type.

My Saturn GameShark died, and my N64 one is gonna corrupt some game saves if I keep using it.

Now I have seen an Action Replay on ebay that looked like it was in a white Backup RAM cartridge case. I wonder if that's the InterAct product or the other one.

I saw a Backup RAM cart on ebay also. I was gonna bid on it, but I know someone on this forum needs one, and I didn't want to outbid them when I have a Backup RAM already. I'd like to get a second one to assist me in writing a FAQ.

That one sold for $20 plus shipping.

I paid $65 for mine when it was brand spanking new. So really, they are selling cheap, as $60 plus tax was the suggested retail price when they were produced.

That is the best $60 a Saturn owner can spend.