IGNORED

Using Atari800Win with Fraps

Foebane

I've tried recording video from Atari800Win with Fraps, but nothing happens. Fraps doesn't seem to recognise the emulator.

I've tried the various codecs on the standard Save Video menu item, but some slow the system to a crawl and others produce files far too big for me. Trouble is, none of them work (at least sound-wise) on the Tsunami MPEG Encoder.

There is a Fraps compressor as one of the codecs, but I can't get it to work. What should I do?

Yes, you're right, they do get integrated into Windows.

The MPEG4 encoder worked fairly well, but I've tried almost all of them, even "full frames uncompressed" (EEK! HD space full!) and received varying results.

The only trouble is, none of the AVI files produced will work with TMPGEnc - the sound always cuts out in the first millisecond of each file.

One MPEG encoder does work - it's the one integrated into Blaze Media Pro - but if you change the resolution from Atari800Win standard to Video CD standard (for maximum compatibility for all DVD players), it doesn't do it smoothly - I end up with these ugly jagged edges.

What could be causing these problems with Atari800Win's Save Video? When I try to use some of the codecs, I get the message "Could not run video streaming for selected driver."

Yes, Sheddy, I had GDI ticked.

I've found a solution of sorts, anyway.

Thanks to Rybags, the MPEG4 encoder works very well, doesn't cause too much slowdown and produces a small file.

Normally, if I then went to TMPGEnc to convert it to an MPEG1 (for Video CD, understand?) I got sound problems.

But just now I used VirtualDub to convert it to a DivX file first, and I got satisfactory results this time.

In fact, I've just now played a short little Blue Max video on my DVD player, which doesn't look perfect, but good enough for me.

If you're all wondering why I'm doing this, it's because I'd like to record the top Atari Demos like Numen and others onto Video CD, so I don't need a computer or an emulator to watch them.

Ta for all your assistance, A8 Peeps!

Hmm, on second thoughts, I've decided A8 Demos aren't good enough to be put on Video CD; and anyway, the results I've had with Numen as a test have been poor: there was masses of artifacting, one image broke up entirely, and for some reason my DVD player ignored the MPG file I created from it.

I've recently created a DVD of Video CD files from PC Windows demos, since they're the only types of demos that are worth putting on disc, but the trouble I've had creating the A8 Demo MPGs outweighs the advantages.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm abandoning the project. Same goes for the Amiga demos, too.