IGNORED

Coleco

Inky

quote:

Originally posted by NE146:

But Inky.. it was in the AtariAge's "Did you know" section on the frontpage that Coleco intentionally crippled their 2600 games... so it MUST be true.

Whoops, does it still say that? I need to change that.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

Mouse Trap -- This was an extrememly well-done game, and the way they got around the 4 button control sceme in the arcade was pure genius. This is IMHO the best Pac-Man type game on the 2600

Mouse Trap was one of the five Coleco games I bought yesterday. Unfortunately it was the NTSC version and I can state here, that the NTSC Mouse Trap is 100% unplayable on a PAL console. (Maybe this info could be added to the AA database?)

The reason why it is not playable (unlike many many others), is that on a PAL console you get a black grid on a black background

Hm... since the NTSC version is only '2' rare, I think I'll just throw it away...

Ok, now I've to try my soldering iron on those 4 non-working (*grmblfx*) Activision cartridges. (That once worked for Pressure Cooker )

Is it just me or is it always Activision cartridges, where the contacts are dead?

Greetings,

Manuel

Mouse Trap -- This was an extrememly well-done game, and the way they got around the 4 button control sceme in the arcade was pure genius. This is IMHO the best Pac-Man type game on the 2600

Agree that it is a great game. Disagree it is the best. Ms Pac-man is better, IMHO. Jr Pac-man is the best (IMHO).

Venture -- What can I say about Venture that hasn't already been said? Good graphis and great gameplay. An all around winner.

Ditto. Very impressive title.

Carnival -- Say what you will about this game, it looked almost arcade perfect. I loved the gameplay as well. Should be a classic

Don't let nostalgia clog your preception. Carnival was done well on the 2600. Not even close to arcade perfect. Try it on MAME and you'll see. Fact is ColecoVision has as near Arcade-perfect port. On its own merit it was again a great port for the 2600.

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle -- This is one of the better platformers relesaed for the 2600. Never understood why it didn't use the fire button though.

This game is okay. Much better on the ColecoVision. BTW, ColecoVision doesn't use the button either :-)

Time Pilot -- Another decent 2600 arcade translation. I almost prefer this one to the ColecoVision version in many ways.

Agree it is a decent port. Though I'm not crazy about it on either the ColecoVision or 2600.

Donkey Kong -- Has a bad rep, but it is not as bad as people call it. My only real gripe is the repetitveness and the lack of difficulty.

Compared to the arcade version, yes, you can say it's terrible. However, I agree wholehearted, it really isn't that bad. I enjoyed it.

Zaxxon -- Take off the zaxxon name, and it is a thoroughly enjoyable space shooter.

See DK comment - Minus the enjoying it :-(

Donkey Kong Jr. -- I kinda liked this one because it had 3 of the 4 arcade screens, but the gfx weren't that good, and it has some bad programming bugs.

See DK Comment (again)

quote:

Mr. Do. -- I liked Mr. Do in the arcade, but I cannot stand this one. I may get crucified for this, but I really feel that way. The CV version is much much better.

This is bad. The ColeoVision version was much better, and the ColecoVision could have been great if it was sped-up. Big thumbs down for the 2600 version...Sorry, guys.

I don't think ColecoVision was the worst company. However, IMHO, they could've done better, and I believe Atari did a much better job with their 'Atarisoft' line on the ColecoVision.

-Trebor

Even though I still like the Coleco games for the 2600 system I will still say that the same games that Coleco made for there Colecovision were better made. My friend Mike has a very nice Colecovision system and all the game he has look far better than the 2600 coleco games, now I don't know if thats because Colecovision was a stronger system or what.

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

Mouse Trap was one of the five Coleco games I bought yesterday. Unfortunately it was the NTSC version and I can state here, that the NTSC Mouse Trap is 100% unplayable on a PAL console. (Maybe this info could be added to the AA database?)

The reason why it is not playable (unlike many many others), is that on a PAL console you get a black grid on a black background

Change the settings of the B/W switch to color before you power on. The game will probably be grey on white, but that's at least better than black on black.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Coleco intentionally crippled their
Intellivision
ports. I've never heard anything regarding the 2600 titles, but Donkey Kong makes me wonder....

Maybe this is the wrongest of places to say that, but I really don't think it was necessary to cripple the 2600 versions just to show people that the Coleco was the way superior hardware

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Maybe this is the wrongest of places to say that, but I really don't think it was necessary to cripple the 2600 versions just to show people that the Coleco was the way superior hardware

Actually, I totally agree. If the crippling truly occurred, you really have to wonder about the judgement of the exec who gave the order. "Look, if you fellas don't lowball these Atari ports, the 2600 is gonna make our console look bad!"

This thread has actually made me feel a lot better. After reading some of the commentaries on 2600 Coleco carts, I started treating those games like guilty pleasures. I've clocked a lot of happy hours with Mouse Trap, Venture, Time Pilot, Smurf, and even Donkey Kong! I'm glad other folks have found the merit in these games too.

I'll take that NTSC Mouse Trap!!!!!

I gotta stick up for Mr. Do! I love this game, its one of my fav Coleco games (but I like Zaxxon so there is no accounting for taste). Its fun to play, its true to the arcade in its essence. Its way better than DK or the like.

Venture is good, but its not all that either.

Coleco is by no means the worst company for Atari. They were one of my favs as a kid cause they had the cool games I wanted to play.

Nobody mentioned Roc n' Rope!!!

. . .you really have to wonder about the judgement of the exec who gave the order. "Look, if you fellas don't lowball these Atari ports, the 2600 is gonna make our console look bad!"  

I guess you haven't worked with many executives? That quote would be beyond the mental capabilities of a few of the executives I've had to deal with.

It is my contention that Coleco wasn't the worst 2600 company out there, nor do I buy the rumor that they purposely cripple the games or make them worse on purpose. Examples:

Venture -- What can I say about Venture that hasn't already been said? Good graphis and great gameplay. An all around winner.

Carnival -- Say what you will about this game, it looked almost arcade perfect. I loved the gameplay as well. Should be a classic

Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle -- This is one of the better platformers relesaed for the 2600. Never understood why it didn't use the fire button though.

Time Pilot -- Another decent 2600 arcade translation. I almost prefer this one to the ColecoVision version in many ways.

And some underrated games:

Donkey Kong -- Has a bad rep, but it is not as bad as people call it. My only real gripe is the repetitveness and the lack of difficulty.

Zaxxon -- Take off the zaxxon name, and it is a thoroughly enjoyable space shooter.

And a few 'while not as bad as people say they are, they still aren't very good games':

Donkey Kong Jr. -- I kinda liked this one because it had 3 of the 4 arcade screens, but the gfx weren't that good, and it has some bad programming bugs.

Mr. Do. -- I liked Mr. Do in the arcade, but I cannot stand this one. I may get crucified for this, but I really feel that way. The CV version is much much better.

So, there you have it. Coleco wasn't the pile of crap gaming house that many people make it out to be.

Just my $2.00 (because my wife says I don't have any cents... )

trebor said that the 2600 Smurf is "ok, but the CV-version is much better".

I totally disagree.

The gameplay of the 2600 Smurf is much more fun than on the CV. The CV version never

gets harder! When you start at Skill 1,2,3 or 4 you always play the game at the same

skill level! This fact kills the fun totally! The graphics is great for the 2600, with some

extras (the heart at the end, the animated spider). It is one of the classics for the VCS.

Mr. Do is a totally fun game, better than Dig Dug.

Mister VCS

hmmm.. I've never thought I'd hear that 2600 Smurf Rescue is better than the Colecovision version. Maybe it's because I was in such AWE at the Colecovision Smurf graphics since day one, the 2600 version just didn't raise any interest.. But now that you've given it that endorsement I'm going to have to give the 2600 version a try!

quote:

Hey, it's playable that way, just damned difficult, right? :-)

PS - if you're talking arcade, I agree with Mister VCS that Mr Do is better than Dig Dug; if you mean 2600, I haven't played either one recently enough to judge.

• 1 year later...