IGNORED

Eproms and Atari 800 carts

tjlazer

OK I have discovered that I have several brown Atari 800 games (Qix, Basic, Star Raiders) that have two socketted chips inside! 24pin. Most are soldered. I assume these are 2732 4kb each? I was thinking of burning some binary game files to eproms and making my own cart. What kind of Eproms can I use? Can I use larger ones and just duplicate the code like on other systems to make it work? What if I want to use a 16k file? I am sure Nir would be the expert to ask...

OK I have discovered that I have several brown Atari 800 games (Qix, Basic, Star Raiders) that have two socketted chips inside!  24pin.  Most are soldered.  I assume these are 2732 4kb each?  I was thinking of burning some binary game files to eproms and making my own cart.  What kind of Eproms can I use?  Can I use larger ones and just duplicate the code like on other systems to make it work?  What if I want to use a 16k file?  I am sure Nir would be the expert to ask...

978895[/snapback]

I've got quite a few carts with soldered ROM chips also. You can't use EPROMs as drop-in replacements for these chips, though, at least not without also adding a hex inverter.

I think that one of the internet vendors would probably sell EPROM boards that you can just put chips into.

979331[/snapback]

Hmmm... in the 80's my dad converted a cartridge or two for Eprom use. I'll have to see if I can find those. He had to jumper a few wires, etc etc...

• 2 weeks later...

ok I bought some PCB from this site and some 27C128 EPROMS, I tried to burn a 16k file, Kangaroo to it and popped it into the PCB and slammed it into my 800 and no joy. Anything I am missing here? What all binary files can I burn to EPROM? Only 16k? I have lots and most are anywhere from 1k to 64k or so, so I assume I can only use 8k or 18k with this? THanks

ok I bought some PCB from this site and some 27C128 EPROMS, I tried to burn a 16k file, Kangaroo to it and popped it into the PCB and slammed it into my 800 and no joy.  Anything I am missing here?  What all binary files can I burn to EPROM?  Only 16k?  I have lots and most are anywhere from 1k to 64k or so, so I assume I can only use 8k or 18k with this?  THanks

984425[/snapback]

Are you burning a raw cartridge dump binary, or a binary load file (like you would load from DOS) ? Only a cartridge dump will work, and those are usually very standard sizes (8k, 16k, 128k, etc..)

ok I bought some PCB from this site and some 27C128 EPROMS, I tried to burn a 16k file, Kangaroo to it and popped it into the PCB and slammed it into my 800 and no joy.  Anything I am missing here?  What all binary files can I burn to EPROM?  Only 16k?  I have lots and most are anywhere from 1k to 64k or so, so I assume I can only use 8k or 18k with this?  THanks

984425[/snapback]

Are you burning a raw cartridge dump binary, or a binary load file (like you would load from DOS) ? Only a cartridge dump will work, and those are usually very standard sizes (8k, 16k, 128k, etc..)

984632[/snapback]

Well a DOS binary! Well I have no idea where to find cart dumps! Do you?