IGNORED

7800 Games NEED Endings!

Shawn

Hey All,

I really think there are some two 7800 games that could use endings RAMPAGE & Ms.Pacman,Rampage could have something even as simple as "Congrats ! Your Rampage Has Distroyed The World!" and a delay on the screen for 2 or 3 seconds then reset to the title screen would be fine and a heck of alot better than just looping over and over. And Ms. Pacman could have the TENGEN Nintendo "end scene" added to it also. I figure after Bannana x2 (I think thats the last original fruit) would be the best spot for the end scene. I always thought that was the only thing the NES version had over the ATARI 7800 version was the end scene as it gives you so much more of a sense of acomplishment with a true finish to the game. Well that and you can have 2 player co-op play at the same time, but thats another can of worms all together. So ya Anyone else think these 2 could use end screens? Any up to the task? (Hey PacManPlus???!!!)

Shawn Sr.

Well 255 boards is too much anyhow. The nes version got to about 20 boards abd then you ge the end screen. 20 levels is good and an end screen is even better. after bannana x2 if there was a couple more orignal fruits that would be fine even if it was as simple of a change of the fruit graphic and not a different board but otherwise an end screen after bannana x2 would be fine IMO.

And on to Rampage, I won't even play that game anymore after myself and a friend spent 4 hours playing it trying to "finish" the game. Ya we finshed it all right, about 5 times over without even knowing it cause the damn thing loops!! I sold the cart the next day...lol.. and I bought it CIB too, what a let down that game was. Great graphics, good game play (although very repatative), and 2 player co-op (best part), All it's missing is a an end screen and NO MORE LOOPING. Like I said somethign as simple as "You Win" text or alike agenst a black screen would be fine, have it hang for like 2 or 3 seconds and reset to the start screen. The game would be a million times better.

Hey Guys:

Actually, Ms. Pac-Man (in the arcade) dies much earlier; around board 143. As Dav pointed out, strange things start to happen around that time; the board turns upside-down, or disappears completely (including dots) so you can't even finish the level...

I don't know about putting an ending on that game - I mean the arcade version didn't really have an 'ending' other than the program having bugs...

That being said - I did think it was odd that the NES version had an ending... I'm wondering what the real reason for that was :-/

Bob

Hey Guys:

Actually, Ms. Pac-Man (in the arcade) dies much earlier; around board 143.  As Dav pointed out, strange things start to happen around that time; the board turns upside-down, or disappears completely (including dots) so you can't even finish the level...

I don't know about putting an ending on that game - I mean the arcade version didn't really have an 'ending' other than the program having bugs...

That being said - I did think it was odd that the NES version had an ending...  I'm wondering what the real reason for that was :-/

Bob

983489[/snapback]

I don't care why it had the ending cause I like it. Maybe it was as simple as saving space or memory for the NES? That would not make much sense but its just a shot. I'm not looking for "Arcade" perfect with adding an ending cause as you said there was no ending in the arcade. More looking for a "Tengen" perfect version (well at least an ending) as personally the Tengen version of Ms Pac is my favorite hands down.

i agree that endings make the work of playing seem worth it. when i game loops your get disappointed. like me and 3 friends played gauntlet for 155 levels when i realized that it had no ending. everyone was really pissed. i really think that rampage needs an ending that another game me and my girl payed for endless hours to no end. i hate turning game off when i cant die!

Lack of, or disappointing endings is par for the course for 8-bit games.

Just 2 that spring to mind on the 800:

Spelunker: simple text message with cycling colours. All of about 30 bytes of program code in that one.

Rainbow Walker: I can't remember the ending, but it was anti-climactic.

Lack of, or disappointing endings is par for the course for 8-bit games.

Just 2 that spring to mind on the 800:

Spelunker:  simple text message with cycling colours.  All of about 30 bytes of program code in that one.

Rainbow Walker:  I can't remember the ending, but it was anti-climactic.

984303[/snapback]

But something CAN be done about it. To hell with par for the course, I'm talking hole in one business here :)

• 3 months later...

All a matter of perspective. The arcade Pacs had no "real" endings (other than eventual kill screens), and back in the day we loved'em for it. Gave an almost legendary quality to what you had to shoot for (and some of the "legends" heard kept things interesting...like the Pac screwdrivers and Ms.Pac 5th screens).

I also disagree about short winning messages...at least when they are applied to short games. Consider the 8-bit Choplifter...once you manage to save all hostages, the game just rewards you with the word "magnificent!". IMO it summed up the achivement pretty well. It's true that with much longer games, it's almost expected to have a long or complex ending tho (unfortunately, some games take endings to the extreme, and force you to watch 'em with no way to exit).

In short, it all depends on the game. I don't think that most classic games would benefit from having a proper ending. Donkey Kong's "How High Can You Get?" is better when coupled with "...Before We Cheat?", because you earn the bragging rights of having been there.

Hi everyone, new here! I must say I've been reading AtariAge for a bit now and have enjoyed it immensely, so I am glad to have an account of my own now.

Anyway, NES Ms. Pac had an ending? Couldn't find it on VG Museum, can anyone describe it to me? Is it the "Junior" intermission, or something else?

Love seeing the hacks you guys have come up with. Where can I DL a 7800 emulator now?

James

• 3 weeks later...

There are two NES versions of Ms. Pac-Man, the Namco one and the Tengen one. The Namco one seems to be using the engine of the NES Pac-Man and only has the four arcade levels. The Tengen one looks more like the arcade, has the option of different sets of new levels, and has modes like turbo and two players competitive and co-op. As far as I know, the Namco one doesn't have an ending.

Edited by BrianC

• 3 months later...