IGNORED

Where are the masters ?

Allas

There are plenty of excelent Classic Atari games, I know we remember many of the great programmers. Today the world running in internet, and this forum is the best english Atari forum.

Where are all those great programmers? I thinked an Atarian always is an Atarian, and should be writing here at least a couple of messages. I remember Russ Wetmore 2 months ago here, Gilbertson too, and could send direct questions and enjoy his answers.

Maybe Im too new in this forum,... well, people die and there are a lot of things that someone want to register in the wrote history,... the details.

In Giant List of Proggrammers there are plenty of great Atarian programmers. Could you imagine a inteview per programmer?

There are plenty of excelent Classic Atari games, I know we remember many of the great programmers. Today the world running in internet, and this forum is the best english Atari forum.

Where are all those great programmers? I thinked an Atarian always is an Atarian, and should be writing here at least a couple of messages. I remember Russ Wetmore 2 months ago here, Gilbertson too, and could send direct questions and enjoy his answers.

Maybe Im too new in this forum,... well, people die and there are a lot of things that someone want to register in the wrote history,... the details.

In Giant List of Proggrammers there are plenty of great Atarian programmers. Could you imagine a inteview per programmer?

990688[/snapback]

Well i am not on this list you gave a link to but i am around and post things now and again :-)

Jetbootjack also is around from time to time too and there have been others

http://www.jetbootjack.com/JBJ_plastron.html

The first time I saw JetBootJack web, I notice good games like plastron and menace. But one of my favorite classic is PACLAND, its a pity unfinished , but there are files to download, never can open correctly to see what is inside.

I always think Pacland is a game with too much sprites and colors for an Atari machine. Its interesting to know some ideas about.

I'm a fan of Plastron, but I never heard of Menace that I recall. What's it all about? Any links to pics or an image for this game? Can I buy it somewhere?

991203[/snapback]

The Atari version wasn't completed, Plastron and JBJ were part of the team doing the A8 conversion. Menace was the Amiga game that pretty much started Psygnosis and really did start developers DMA Design, who went on to write the sequel Blood Money and the phenomenally successful Lemmings, amongst others. Menace is a horizontally scrolling multi-weapon shoot 'em up straight out of the traditional mold; fast moving, colourful and lots of stuff to hit that wants you dead. Whilst it's a bit hard to tell from previews, what was released a while back of the A8 version looked like it would have been a better port than the abysmal C64 one.

The DMA Design story is a fascinating read, although they didn't develop for the Atari it's one of those few insights into the "minds" of software developers that isn't post marked from an insane asylum. =-)

Hi,

Just to clear one thing up i was not working on Menace i just happened to have a copy of the source code from Steve to show what else was being done by Harlequin. I think we would have done some nice stuff but our timing was wrong the Atari 8 bit was on its last legs when we did Plastron. The next project was to be a scrolling shooter and with Richard doing the graphics and Music and Andy Mills and i doing the coding i think we would have made a good job. We would have studied the sprite routines in Menace and so thats why i had the source which is now posted on JBJ site.

http://www.jetbootjack.com/JBJ_menace.html

Bryan?

Not me Bryan (my name is Bryan too!!) but Bryan (membername is Bryan too)

991677[/snapback]

Who me? :) If I had written this stuff back in the days of half-hour assemblers and reams of fanfold paper, then that would be something. I wish I had more time and $$ to do this stuff 'cause right now I'm working 60 hours weeks as an electronics tech. I've got sooo many unfinished projects...

-Bry

Mr Fish (or a moderator),

Please remove the zip file you have posted to this thread, and use this link to the menace page on my website:

Please refer to the disclaimer (at the bottom of this page) from my site for information on the redistrubution of any material:

http://www.jetbootjack.com/JBJ_oldgamesindex.html

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Mr Fish (or a moderator),

Please remove the zip file you have posted to this thread, and use this link to the menace page on my website:

Please refer to the disclaimer (at the bottom of this page) from my site for information on the redistrubution of any material:

http://www.jetbootjack.com/JBJ_oldgamesindex.html

sTeVE

992240[/snapback]

Sorry Steve, no harm intended.