IGNORED

Reaxion A8 release

TMR

Very nice Jason :thumbsup:

does get difficult very quickly for me - more practice I guess!

goochman - every block just around the cursor gets flipped on or off - it's tucked away in the scroller. the 1st level needs to put the cursor right in the middle of the 3x3 blocks to flip them all to off and clear the level. after that, well..that's where it gets interesting!

.......oops....I got to the last level  :cool:

994769[/snapback]

You're wasting too much time for gaming :ponder:

994797[/snapback]

Nope :) ....but all of a sudden I discovered the trick to solve all levels (I don't want to be a spoiler, but there is a very simple trick)....

Normally I do not spend my time gaming at all, but this one i really liked.

.......oops....I got to the last level  :cool:

994769[/snapback]

You're wasting too much time for gaming :ponder:

994797[/snapback]

Nope :) ....but all of a sudden I discovered the trick to solve all levels (I don't want to be a spoiler, but there is a very simple trick)....

Normally I do not spend my time gaming at all, but this one i really liked.

995795[/snapback]

Indeed... very likable :)

And, yes, there is a trick... ;)

@TMR is the score OK?

As I see the Highscoretable cheating ;) :ponder:

Next time I will see, how fast it can be solved :D

Edited by emkay

@TMR is the score OK?

As I see the Highscoretable cheating ;)  :ponder:

Actually, it's a bug... one i thought i'd bleedin' got since it used to mangle the table if the player got the lowest score but i must have missed something; i've had a hack around and i think the new download should sort. [Crosses fingers and looks worried]

There's something about me and highscore routines, i've yet to write one that doesn't do something odd... i'll have to write a new one.

jason... you mentioned "Rastersplit" somewhere in Reaxion... where did you use that?

996982[/snapback]

i think i'm going senile today; i don't remember mentioning raster splits and i've just checked the scrolltext and it doesn't use the word "raster" at all - where'd i mention it?

i think i'm going senile today; i don't remember mentioning raster splits and i've just checked the scrolltext and it doesn't use the word "raster" at all - where'd i mention it?

997191[/snapback]

"It's actually a lot easier to do than the raster fest on the A8 titles page (three splits per scanline)"

In your reply to Emkay defending the Atari version vs. the C64.

I also wondered, and looked at the Title screen myself, but didn't see any evidence of raster splits (I guess this would mean a kernel type DLI that makes mid-line changes?)

Nice looking game, now that I see how to play it from Sheddy's comment, I'm going to give it another try!

"It's actually a lot easier to do than the raster fest on the A8 titles page (three splits per scanline)"

In your reply to Emkay defending the Atari version vs. the C64.

Ah... that. Sorry, i've always used the term "raster split" to mean splits that happen once a raster line, regardless of the hardware. =-)

I also wondered, and looked at the Title screen myself, but didn't see any evidence of raster splits (I guess this would mean a kernel type DLI that makes mid-line changes?)

No, i meant it's writing to three colour registers per scanline; on the C64 that can be done (the intro to the latest issue of Game Over(View) on the C64 does four) but requires a lot more programming work because there's no WSYNC to neatly synchronise the start of each line. Basically, it takes four or five scanlines to get a stable raster routine and then a series of routines for the various scanlines where the effect runs to split the colour registers, wait for the start of the next line and so on.

Even a simple screen and border split is a minor feat of timing and some of the stuff done for demos like Cycle are incredibly difficult to get right. The effect on the titles page of Reaxion Extended is, in comparison, a piece of piddle to do since it's just the hardware sprites behind inversed character graphics!

Even a simple screen and border split is a minor feat of timing and some of the stuff done for demos like Cycle are incredibly difficult to get right. The effect on the titles page of Reaxion Extended is, in comparison, a piece of piddle to do since it's just the hardware sprites behind inversed character graphics!

Why do you even bother with underlay sprites? That effect can be easily done by drawing the different columns of the hiscore table with different characters of different colours. Then you just change the colour registers from sprites to playfield...

The effect on the titles page of Reaxion Extended is, in comparison, a piece of piddle to do since it's just the hardware sprites behind inversed character graphics!

Why do you even bother with underlay sprites? That effect can be easily done by drawing the different columns of the hiscore table with different characters of different colours. Then you just change the colour registers from sprites to playfield...

A couple of reasons; firstly the C64 only has three colours in multicolour character mode and that effect has four colours, secondly because the character colour is limited to only half of the available palette so any cycling would have to always use only that part of the palette and thirdly because the text is 320x200 res so i'm not actually in multicolour mode.

Just to clarify, Reaxion Extended is the C64 version of the game.

Just to clarify, Reaxion Extended is the C64 version of the game.

998591[/snapback]

Oh, sorry, my bad, I thought you were talking about the Atari version..

999850[/snapback]

It gets a bit confusing but i had to compile a timeline the other day so i sort of have it straight in my head at the moment; Reaxion was released with 30 levels on the C64 in 1994, then the Amiga in 1995 with 99 levels and then a new C64 version done from scratch called Reaxion Extended was put out in 2001 with all the extra levels in the Amiga. The A8, Plus/4 and ongoing NES, Spectrum and other format conversions are all simply called Reaxion (as is Extended in it's Cronosoft form, just to confuse things) but no other version apart from the C64 one was ever referred to as "extended" because it was the only one to come in those two forms.

Now i'm going for a lie down, i feel all dizzy...!

so jason...to speak in my business words "you are a multiplatform developer and publisher"... ;)

1000199[/snapback]

producer, quality assurance, even legal support when the need arises :)

Lets really not go there until i get the all clear...! [Wince]