IGNORED

8-bit "Amiga bouncing ball" demo

Gunstar

Lately I've been downloading demos for both the 8-bit and ST computers. Where there are "ports" or "clones" of the same demos (like the ST's 'Shiny Bubbles' vs. 'Shiny Bubbles XE') I've been comparing, and I was comparing the ST&8-bit clones of the famous Amiga bouncing ball demo, you know, the one with the psuedo-3d checkered ball bouncing on the screen. O.k., to the point; I've watched this demo (8-bit version) a hundred times on my XE, a few times on my XL and today I tried it for the first time ever on my 800. Well, when I run the demo on the 800, the bottom third of the ball&shadow are flickering. Is this common among 800's or is it a CTIA/GTIA thing or is my 800 just screwed in some way?

Edited by Gunstar

Lately I've been downloading demos for both the 8-bit and ST computers. Where there are "ports" or "clones" of the same demos (like the ST's 'Shiny Bubbles' vs. 'Shiny Bubbles XE') I've been comparing, and I was comparing the ST&8-bit clones of the famous Amiga bouncing ball demo, you know, the one with the psuedo-3d checkered ball bouncing on the screen. O.k., to the point; I've watched this demo (8-bit version) a hundred times on my XE, a few times on my XL and today I tried it for the first time ever on my 800. Well, when I run the demo on the 800, the bottom third of the ball&shadow are flickering. Is this common among 800's or is it a CTIA/GTIA thing or is my 800 just screwed in some way?

993217[/snapback]

Reminds me of what demo's looked like on my 48k 400 in comparison to my old

130xe, so I would say you prob have a CTIA in your 800.

993217[/snapback]

Reminds me of what demo's looked like on my 48k 400 in comparison to my old

130xe, so I would say you prob have a CTIA in your 800.

993233[/snapback]

Hmm...I'll have to open her up and go back in I guess, I thought I'd changed out a CTIA for a GTIA back when I first got the 800 last spring/summer, it didn't work when I got it and I swapped out several chips, I just don't remember for sure what they all were except for the OS rom chips. But first, what was that little basic POKE/PEEK command to test for which chip one has?

Hmm...I'll have to open her up and go back in I guess, I thought I'd changed out a CTIA for a GTIA back when I first got the 800 last spring/summer, it didn't work when I got it and I swapped out several chips, I just don't remember for sure what they all were except for the OS rom chips. But first, what was that little basic POKE/PEEK command to test for which chip one has?

993241[/snapback]

From Almost Rice on 2005.12.06:

Ok, maybe a reach here - is there any way what's the "easiest" way to tell...

977311[/snapback]

10 GRAPHICS 9

20 GOTO 20

If you get a black screen, you have the newer GTIA chip. If you get a blue screen, you have the older CTIA chip. Of course you would need a BASIC cart.

The original source of this info

977398[/snapback]

Edited by Cybernoid

993241[/snapback]

977311[/snapback]

10 GRAPHICS 9

20 GOTO 20

If you get a black screen, you have the newer GTIA chip. If you get a blue screen, you have the older CTIA chip. Of course you would need a BASIC cart.

977398[/snapback]

993247[/snapback]

Fascinating. Will have to fire up my Atari 800 when I get home and try the demo out.

993241[/snapback]

977311[/snapback]

10 GRAPHICS 9

20 GOTO 20

977398[/snapback]

993247[/snapback]

O.K., I did it and I got a black screen, so I must have changed out the CTIA or it was GTIA to begin with, so this is not the reason for the flickering in the demo. Isn't the original 6502 in the 800 a bit slower than the custom 6502's in the later models by a bit? Could this be why it's flickering a bit? Maybe I downloaded a PAL version of the demo that's running on my NTSC 800? Of course if this is the case, then it should do the same thing on my XE, but work properly on my ANTIC PAL chip conversion I did to the XL. I actually hadn't seen this demo for several years, I don't know what happened to the floppy it was on, so I just downloaded it again yesterday, so this particular ATR image of it has never been tried on my XL/XE, I went straight for the 800.

Edited by Gunstar

993241[/snapback]

977311[/snapback]

10 GRAPHICS 9

20 GOTO 20

977398[/snapback]

993247[/snapback]

O.K., I did it and I got a black screen, so I must have changed out the CTIA or it was GTIA to begin with, so this is not the reason for the flickering in the demo. Isn't the original 6502 in the 800 a bit slower than the custom 6502's in the later models by a bit? Could this be why it's flickering a bit? Maybe I downloaded a PAL version of the demo that's running on my NTSC 800? Of course if this is the case, then it should do the same thing on my XE, but work properly on my ANTIC PAL chip conversion I did to the XL. I actually hadn't seen this demo for several years, I don't know what happened to the floppy it was on, so I just downloaded it again yesterday, so this particular ATR image of it has never been tried on my XL/XE, I went straight for the 800.

993259[/snapback]

Well, I tried out the PAL/NTSC theory, but it flickers on all three computers, so I guessing now that I have a corrupted image. It never did it years back when I had it before...it is a converted version that autoloads and has a "hacker" title screen while it loads, asI recall, the first time I had it, it was a .exe or .com file that was loaded from DOS. Anyone know where I can download a "clean" version, preferably still an .ATR image instead of a straight file, but maybe an .ATR image of a DOS disk with files?

Edited by Gunstar

Isn't the original 6502 in the 800 a bit slower than the custom 6502's in the later models by a bit?

Nope. They're all the same speed. I'm guessing that the demo wasn't written with the 400/800 in mind and has some sort of glitch.

-Bry

Isn't the original 6502 in the 800 a bit slower than the custom 6502's in the later models by a bit?

Nope. They're all the same speed. I'm guessing that the demo wasn't written with the 400/800 in mind and has some sort of glitch.

-Bry

993298[/snapback]

Already covered that in the post above your reply, the "glitch" shows up on my 800, PAL Antic XL and XE, so it's not an 800 thing, or PAL, I'm pretty sure it a bad image or the hackers that messed with it screwed something up. That's why I'm asking for a link to another image.

Already covered that in the post above your reply, the "glitch" shows up on my 800, PAL Antic XL and XE, so it's not an 800 thing, or PAL, I'm pretty sure it a bad image or the hackers that messed with it screwed something up. That's why I'm asking for a link to another image.

993306[/snapback]

Ah, try the one on this disk:

demos013.zip