IGNORED

Donkey Kong Arcade Version

ILA2600

There's not much you can you with Donkey Kong with the limited squares for sprites!!! :?

996681[/snapback]

Sure there is, if you go to a bank-switched cart. Since Kong and Pauline don't share scan lines with anything else, it should be possible to improve their appearance considerably. Use a slightly-adapted 48-pixel sprite kernel, but don't "populate" all the sprites and use the freed-up "store opportunities" to control sprite colors. I would think a 24-pixel Kong and a better-looking Pauline could both be accomplished pretty easily.

BTW, the big improvement I'd like to see on Donkey Kong which might fit within Mr Kitchen's kernel design (not sure) would be to give each firedude a two-level freedom of vertical motion and flicker them at 30Hz. If he's sharing kernel code between level 1 and level 2 (don't know if he is or not) allowing vertical motion of the fireballs wouldn't be too bad if they could never overlap each other. Throwing 30Hz flicker on them could assure that.

Edited by supercat

• 3 weeks later...
Are you modifying the assembly and re-compiling, or are you using a bit-hacker to modify the binary directly?

I do the latter for the hacks I've done, and there's a limit to what can be done with that method

1012524[/snapback]

I use Bit Hacker, or Hack O Matic for the Graphic editing, and for changing stuff like color ( wich is all I can do for now!) I use a Hex Editor ( Cygnus Hex Editor ) that's pretty much it!! :)

• 2 years later...

I'm very new here so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong. I have always wanted to see a better version of DK for Atari 2600. I do not know how to program yet, but I thought about what limitations the 2600 might have and what could have been done better. I drew out these ideas based on the games.

I changed the ladder color to blue like the arcade

I took the Intellivision Gorilla and made it brown not green

I added Help to the top

I figured if I could program I would remove the way the gorilla moves when you go up the ladder that seems useless and probably takes up memory.

I would love to add the jingle at the beginning that starts the game.

If someone thinks this can be done I would love to see it.

post-20062-1213638222_thumb.jpg

post-20062-1213638235_thumb.jpg

If you are going to base mockups on the existing kernal, you can only have 8 pixels for the sprites (and there's no provision for adding an additional sprite i.e. the "help" balloon and fire in the barrel). A modified/expanded kernal can be much more detailed. How much more is arguable...because I don't think that anybody's figured out how much RAM can be salvaged from the existing game (a Superchip hack version makes scrounging a non-issue).

I figured if I could program I would remove the way the gorilla moves when you go up the ladder that seems useless and probably takes up memory.

A total of 2 ROM bytes leading into the DK sprite, and 2 ROM bytes exiting. Sprite flipping is done via the hardware reflect register...so all that needed to be done is to store the vertical location value of the Mario sprite to the register, and reset it after the DK sprite has been drawn.

Edited by Nukey Shay

That looks like the 2600 hundred version of Donkey Kong. The Arcade version ( at least the one I remember ) have much bigger and well built sprites that is well animated and looks realistic. Unless that is a alternative version.

I forget but did Paulina have Brown and violet dres or Blonde and pink dress hair?

Edited by Red_Queen

• 2 weeks later...
I'm very new here so I hope I'm not doing anything wrong. I have always wanted to see a better version of DK for Atari 2600. I do not know how to program yet, but I thought about what limitations the 2600 might have and what could have been done better. I drew out these ideas based on the games.

If someone thinks this can be done I would love to see it.

I like what you've done with the images. It does make the game look better. I wonder if anyone wants to hack this into an 8K game, so there is room to do more...

• 13 years later...