IGNORED

5200 Power pack Question?

KoffinKorner

I've come across 2 5200 Power packs, one is the standard(I think?) 9.3v/1.95a and the other is a newer looking 11.5v/1.95a it also say's "use only with model CX-5200" on the face.

Now I've taken a few of my 5200 lids off and they all say CX5200 on the boards in the lower left corner of the motherboards, but none say #CX-5200 on the outside back case? just NO. 5200.

Is it safe to use this newer Power pack? What's the deal here?

Basically, the 4-port and 2-port 5200s came with diffrent power supplies.

Both supplies work equally well on both systems.

If I recall, both actually output the same voltage levels too.

As for the amperage, the 5200 doesn't come near either brick's rated current draw, so we dunno if they're similar there. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... so I had wondered about this, too.

My 2 port power supply has an Atari logo on the top and the info on the bottom, it says

Part # CO18187 for use with Model CX-5200 only

Input 120v, 60Hz, 30w

Output 11.5vdc 1.95a

The 4 port supply has the logo and info on the top and says

Atari AC/DC power adaptor

Part # CO18187

Input 120VAC, 60hz, 38VA

output 9.3VDC at 1.95amp

the difference between 11.5v and 9.3v seems kind of significant to me... but I'm not very handy with electricity.

It sure would be nice to know I have a backup supply that would work with my 2 port... but I'm curious as to why the difference in the output between the two supplies.

Curiousity satisfied. Thank you. :)

Those engineers at Atari were doing all kinds of strange things with the 5200, weren't they.

1006660[/snapback]

That's actually pretty standard. It's impossible to guarantee a precise voltage off of a noisy source(which household AC is) without a LOT of expense, so the system has to be tolerant of fluctuations. The voltage regulator just happens to be able to take a lot mroe than you'd see in the normal course of events.

• 1 month later...

OK,

I got a 5200 today and the guy shipped a dead 8-bit 9VAC supply with it. I have read the faq, and some of the threads here, but nobody has listed if the tip is positive or negative.

I want to use a different 9 or 12 v dc power supply, but what is the tip polarity?

thanks

never mind, I found it. Console powers on (red led) but no output. I hate buying on ebay. I asked the seller if the console works, he replied yes. I don't care if the controllers were bad or not. He's a power seller, so it'll be interesting to see what he does. It only cost me 14 bucks plus 16 shipping. I'll expect at least the 14 bucks back and put it towards repair or another one.

this sucks since I finally found one locally, and two atari agers offered to sell me better ones the day after I bid on this piece of crap.

If you got it off of eBay for 14 plus 16 shipping, you got a hell of a deal, working or not... at least, from an eBay perspective. I see them go there for $45+ plus shipping and handling all the time.

Again... 2600.com repairs for a flat rate of $30... and you can buy a new logic board from Best Electronics for around the same price. Figure by the time you get a new logic board from Best Electronics, you will be out about what you would have paid if you had bought a 5200 at a more typical eBay price. So your great deal becomes a typical one. If you can get him to kick back some of the price, that'll would help offset the cost to repair.

Sorry. That sucks, either way. The 5200 is a great machine.

Did you find a non-standard power supply to replace the dead one? I'd explore more before I decided that there was a problem with the video. You might want to crack the Atari power supply open and check the fuse, if that supply seems dead, and see if fixing that solves your problem.