IGNORED

Venus Express on 800-Cart?

Heaven/TQA

Can't be done. Cartridges only have enough address lines to allow 16K of addresses.

Aside from that, bank selecting would be the only option. And even then, as a minimum you have to use $B000-BFFF for ROM. I imagine their might be some way to have RAM there, but don't know if a method exists.

Early bank select schemes used the address range $D500-D5FF, and output a signal on a line called CARTCTL (I think) which bank-select hardware can use to employ bank-switching on the cartridge.

I've heard of systems which allow a small ROM at $5000, but don't know if they existed on production 800s.

Can't be done.  Cartridges only have enough address lines to allow 16K of addresses.

Aside from that, bank selecting would be the only option.  And even then, as a minimum you have to use $B000-BFFF for ROM.  I imagine their might be some way to have RAM there, but don't know if a method exists.

Early bank select schemes used the address range $D500-D5FF, and output a signal on a line called CARTCTL (I think) which bank-select hardware can use to employ bank-switching on the cartridge.

I've heard of systems which allow a small ROM at $5000, but don't know if they existed on production 800s.

1000686[/snapback]

You can disable the ROM by dropping RD4 and RD5 on the cart slot. Grounding RD4 would show the ram from $8000-$9FFF and RD5 would be $A000-$BFFF. Some bank switched cartridges latch them through /CCTL so you can turn off the ROM.

The XL/XE has the self-test ROM from $5000-$57FF selectable via PB7.