IGNORED

how to make .atr, .bin, com, .xex bootable disks

calfranklin

How do I go about making bootable disk (on XL or XE) with downloaded game images such as .atr, .com, .bin and .xex? I have a friend helping me modify my old ST Xformer cable to work with PCXformer (which I believe will allow me to read 8-bit drives on the PC), but with this cable and Xformer software, can I convert these disk images back into bootable disks that with work like the original game disks on the XL/XE computers? Thanks, Cal

How do I go about making bootable disk (on XL or XE) with downloaded game images such as .atr, .com, .bin and .xex?  I have a friend helping me modify my old ST Xformer cable to work with PCXformer (which I believe will allow me to read 8-bit drives on the PC), but with this cable and Xformer software, can I convert these disk images back into bootable disks that with work like the original game disks on the XL/XE computers?  Thanks, Cal

1004589[/snapback]

The .ATR file should be bootable. If you have a SIO2PC interface and the APE software on the PC you would use that image as D1:. As for the others they are probably executable from DOS.

How do I go about making bootable disk (on XL or XE) with downloaded game images such as .atr, .com, .bin and .xex?  I have a friend helping me modify my old ST Xformer cable to work with PCXformer (which I believe will allow me to read 8-bit drives on the PC), but with this cable and Xformer software, can I convert these disk images back into bootable disks that with work like the original game disks on the XL/XE computers?  Thanks, Cal

1004589[/snapback]

The .ATR file should be bootable. If you have a SIO2PC interface and the APE software on the PC you would use that image as D1:. As for the others they are probably executable from DOS.

1004715[/snapback]

But am I able to use the PCXformer software and cable to actually create bootable disks from dowloaded disk images that will run on the 8-bit (XL/XE using 1050 disk drives)? Does the SIO2PC interface and APE software do this also?

Use this tool:

http://www.oxyron.de/html/arc64.zip

Drop a copy of a DOS 2.0 ATR to it, and then drop any kind of files and they will be added to the disk. To store the new disk, just drag the header line out to a windows directory.

1005909[/snapback]

I'll check this out. I'm still trying to find my ST Xformer cable so I can modify it to work with PCXformer, but I do have my 800XL up and running.