IGNORED

1010 recorder power switch?!?

Gunstar

I got a 1010 recorder a little bit ago, it's the first I've ever owned; back in the day I had a third-party recorder and later a 410. But I'm curious as to why there is no on/off switch on this thing?!? It's a real pain in the arse to have to keep plugging and unplugging the power cord! :roll: What the HELL was Atari thinking?!? I know the 410 doesn't have a power switch either, but it doesn't sit there with a glowing LED sapping power all the time like the 1010 does.

Edited by Gunstar

Lots of computer peripherals and electrical appliances have no on/off switch.

Best solution: get a powerboard with individual switches (and preferably surge protection) and run stuff off it.

Lots of "wall warts" use power even if nothings plugged into them anyway.

Best solution:  get a powerboard with individual switches (and preferably surge protection) and run stuff off it.

1005072[/snapback]

I suppose I will have to look for a power strip like you say, but it's not much of a help from my perspective anyway; I guess my "power drain" excuse really wasn't to the point. It's not so much that the device is always on draining power as it is me worrying about "burning out" the 1010 becuase it has power connected all the time. I know that the vast majority of electronics these days have the "stand-by" mode anyway, like my PS2, and amplifier, and DVD player all have them, something I DO NOT like at all by the way, it's just wasting my power. It's not like they turn on any faster having them on "stand-by" with the little red LED always on anyway. It seems totally pointless to me. But as far as a power strip goes, it's not any better as far as convenience is concerned anyway: either I'm crawling under the desk to plug in/out the 1010's adapter, or crawling under the desk to turn on/off the power strip or I'm crawling under the desk to fetch the power cable that slipped down ther after I unplugged it from the 1010. In each case, I have to crawl under my desk! A simple on/off switch would have cost another whole $.25 worth of components and would have made the 1010 much more convenient to use. Or, do it like the 410 where the drive is off, using no power, but as soon as 'play' or another button is pressed, they act as the power switch too, but the 410 is really off otherwise. I guess I'll just have to splice in a power switch to the adapter cord up near where it plugs into the 1010 so I have a power swithc for it, :roll:

Thank's for your reply though. ;)

Best solution:  get a powerboard with individual switches (and preferably surge protection) and run stuff off it.

1005072[/snapback]

I suppose I will have to look for a power strip like you say, but it's not much of a help from my perspective anyway; I guess my "power drain" excuse really wasn't to the point. It's not so much that the device is always on draining power as it is me worrying about "burning out" the 1010 becuase it has power connected all the time. I know that the vast majority of electronics these days have the "stand-by" mode anyway, like my PS2, and amplifier, and DVD player all have them, something I DO NOT like at all by the way, it's just wasting my power. It's not like they turn on any faster having them on "stand-by" with the little red LED always on anyway. It seems totally pointless to me. But as far as a power strip goes, it's not any better as far as convenience is concerned anyway: either I'm crawling under the desk to plug in/out the 1010's adapter, or crawling under the desk to turn on/off the power strip or I'm crawling under the desk to fetch the power cable that slipped down ther after I unplugged it from the 1010. In each case, I have to crawl under my desk! A simple on/off switch would have cost another whole $.25 worth of components and would have made the 1010 much more convenient to use. Or, do it like the 410 where the drive is off, using no power, but as soon as 'play' or another button is pressed, they act as the power switch too, but the 410 is really off otherwise. I guess I'll just have to splice in a power switch to the adapter cord up near where it plugs into the 1010 so I have a power swithc for it, :roll:

1005332[/snapback]

Technically, even though there is no power switch, there is no power applied to the 1010 unless you press one of the buttons. Just like the old portable cassette tape recorders, power is applied when the play/ff/rew keys are pressed.

1005072[/snapback]

1005332[/snapback]

Technically, even though there is no power switch, there is no power applied to the 1010 unless you press one of the buttons. Just like the old portable cassette tape recorders, power is applied when the play/ff/rew keys are pressed.

1005336[/snapback]

There's power being used by the LED at least, but I'm not totally sure that's it as my 1010 gets warm after being plugged for a while, my 410 does not.

1005072[/snapback]

1005332[/snapback]

1005336[/snapback]

There's power being used by the LED at least, but I'm not totally sure that's it as my 1010 gets warm after being plugged for a while, my 410 does not.

1005339[/snapback]

Gunstar there is a 1010 that the LED cuts on when in use and cut out when not in use, I think I have it If I do I'll post a photo of it.