IGNORED

WHY IS Yorgle scared of the yellow key?

liquid_sky

Well this game seems to be full of bugs that the game manual attributes to "magic" (and which today would be called "features"). But I always thought this one was on purpose.

My favorite "magic" in the game is the doorway to nowhere in the white castle (Homer says "mmmm... White Castle") and which also affects the doorway in the easter egg room. You can see where it leads (and what a surprise) but you can't go through!

I think the best part of this game is getting eaten by a dragon and leaving the game on until the bat picks up the dragon you're in... it is a real challenge to the 3-dimensional brain to comprehend the layout of the bizarre world of Adventure.

I think this is mainly a psychological problem. Yorgle realizes that he's not the only yellow thing in this Adventure world. He's not special, he realizes; his hue does not inspire awe in the other characters, since a measly little key shares the one aspect of his likeness that makes him an individual who's different from the other dragons. The gold castle is too big to make an impression on him; it's a place, an abstract state of mind. But the gold key can be picked up and moved around, causing the player no harm at all; this directly speaks to Yorgle's self-esteem complex regarding being the weakest of the three dragons. What he's actually fleeing is not the key's smallness and squarely angular nature, but his OWN insignificance and duck-shape.

-- Dr. Chris

The best way to get rid of the bat is to lock it into a castle. I remember that this trick used to work. Here is how I did it:

I would enter a castle with the key, drop it into a corner, return to the castle with another item (say the sword after I killed all the dragons), get the bat to trade for the item I was holding at the time and then get the key that locks the castle and lock him in there.

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

I know what it says in the manual, but do you really think atari would admit bugs in a game? That could jjust be a way to cover it up.

Yeah... it's kind of like the "magic" that happens when you have more than 4 objects on screen at once. That is, the system has to start "flickering" the objects, which causes the glitch... I mean "magic"... that lets you pass through solid objects.

This "magic" stranded me within the gate of the white castle in a game a few weeks ago. Argh! I was just about to open the gate, when the bat flew onscreen carrying something. That caused me to pass into the gate instead of opening it, and then as soon as the bat was gone, I was trapped! Stupid bat!

Hey now, it's that flicker that allowed me to find the invisible dot back in the day.

I was trying to figure out why the room was flickering when there was only one object in it (the object I was carrying). The manual actually tells you that the room flickers when there is more than one object in the room (hint! hint!) and I thought "by God, I'm gonna find that 2nd object!" and I did! (eventually). But the kid down the street had to tell me what to DO with that invisible dot. That blew my mind. Ah to be young and so easily amused again...

quote:

Originally posted by Green Goblin:

Hey now, it's that flicker that allowed me to find the invisible dot back in the day.

I am still sure that the secret dot was not the reason for the flicker, but it was a nice way to use it for something special other than just revealing the limitations of the system!

Speaking of the flicker with the dot.... I find it interesting that flicker occurs if there's even ONE other object in the room with the dot... usually you need 4 objects in the room at the same time, right? Is the dot multiple objects (both missiles, perhaps)? How exactly does this work?

quote:

Originally posted by room34:

Speaking of the flicker with the dot.... I find it interesting that flicker occurs if there's even ONE other object in the room with the dot... usually you need 4 objects in the room at the same time, right? Is the dot multiple objects (both missiles, perhaps)? How exactly does this work?

I don't think the dot counts as multiple objects, because don't you need two other objects to pass through the barrier into the signature room? I'd have to play it to be sure.

I think Adventure is a great game, in part, because of the way it turns minor flaws into features, as room34 mentioned. The flickering "magic", the doorway to nowhere, and the bat-ride are all good examples.

By the way, the username room34 sounds like a possible Adventure reference. Yes?

I don't think the bat can recognize the dot.

And as for room 34, maybe but unlikely as there are only 30 screens in Game 3 of Adventure. (give or take a screen, I'm doing this off the top of my head, I can look it up if you like)

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: StanJr ]

My materials engineering professor taught us that Yorgle feared the yellow key because they are forged from the same material. Just like Superman and Kryptonite, it may be that Yorgle loses his power when faced with the key, and runs because he knows he will be powerless against you. And the castle? It is merely painted yellow in an effort to fool the dragon into running away. But he is not fooled!