IGNORED

Lynx or Lynx 2?

Shawn

Hi,

I'm gona buy a lynx in the near future and I was wondering what one is better the Lynx or the Lynx 2 system? I just want to make sure I get the better of the 2 as I don't want to be buying another system after finding out I bought the lesser.

Thanks,

Shawn Sr.

Hi,

I'm gona buy a lynx in the near future and I was wondering what one is better the Lynx or the Lynx 2 system? I just want to make sure I get the better of the 2 as I don't want to be buying another system after finding out I bought the lesser.

Thanks,

Shawn Sr.

1006378[/snapback]

The Lynx 2 has stereo sound, is not as picky about the software (the screen can sometimes become black in the Lynx 1 with certain software) and the cart slot can take physically much larger carts than the Lynx 1. And the Lynx 2 is a bit smaller. So I would go for the Lynx 2.

--

Karri

Hi,

Thanks,

Shawn Sr.

1006378[/snapback]

The Lynx 2 has stereo sound, is not as picky about the software (the screen can sometimes become black in the Lynx 1 with certain software) and the cart slot can take physically much larger carts than the Lynx 1. And the Lynx 2 is a bit smaller. So I would go for the Lynx 2.

--

Karri

1006426[/snapback]

Thanks, Thats the kinda info I was looking for.

The Lynx II has one great advantage - you can use akkus instead of normal batteries. AA-Akkus (NiCD or NiMH[ 1,2V]) do not work in LYNX I . The Lynx II has also less power consumption than the Model I.

Lars

1006452[/snapback]

Less power consuption? Not from my experience. The Lynx II's I've seen sucked batteries. Also was very picky about the battery level. I can leave batteries in the Lynx one I have for a good while, and play for hours without problem.

And as I said on the vote at the main menu, (Lynx 1 vs. Lynx 2) I really find the Lynx 1 to be more rugged. I have had to clean the Lynx 2 contacts more than I care to mention. The Lynx 2 just feels like a cheaply made unit.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet - but the Lynx II also has the ability to shut off its backlight to save on power - something that I do not believe the Lynx I has the ability to do. Additionally, if the LCD ever breaks/needs replacement on the Lynx II, it is easily replaceable (assuming you have the part on hand) as it is not soldered to the circuit board like the Lynx I.

And, although I have never heard that the Lynx I cannot take NiMH batteries and the like, I would also agree that the Lynx II performs like a pro with NiMH - I think I got somewhere around 6 hours of battery life out of a set of those the last time I tried it out. :)

Plus, IMO, the Lynx II just looks cooler - I like the darker colors of the Lynx II rather than the light gray color of the Lynx I (and it doesn't have 'paint' or whatever that is on the Lynx I that wears off and makes it look all ghetto...)

Edited by atariman

Both my Lynx I and Lynx IIs work fine with NiMH batteries. Though they can be a tight fit inside the Lynx I's battery compartment and therefore hard to remove.

Lynx II should have the better batterylife, IIRC Atari claims five hours for the first and six for the second version.

Apart from the advantages of stereo sound, backlight switch (it also doesn't time out and switch off when you pause a game) and handier cartridge port, I much prefer the IMO awesome design of the Lynx II.

The Built-in speaker of the Lynx-I has a louder volume BTW and the Lynx I has two versions with different d-pads.