IGNORED

"Cloak & Dagger" D.Comstock On RetroGaming Radio

Atariboy2600

This month Shane interview the origanl Atari 5200 programmer David Comstock the one who was making the 5200 game Cloak & Dagger, its a part 1 of 2 interviews and on this months he was talking about how and why the Cloak & Dagger was not done in 84. Man! We all been waiting for ths game to come out for 22 years and now David is going back and finishing where he left off on Cloak & Dagger for the 5200, I cant wait! :D

RetroGaming Radio (Episode 01-27-2006) Download Page.

you just blew my mind :love: cloak&dagger is the one cart game that will put my demons to sleep. ive always dreamed of getting the game. the closest i've come is mame emulator for my xbox. play that bastard all the time. of course the real home version wont be as great but still. it'll be a dream satistfied :D until then i will keep dreaming

This month Shane interview the origanl Atari 5200 programmer David Comstock the one who was making the 5200 game Cloak & Dagger, its a part 1 of 2 interviews and on this months he was talking about how and why the Cloak & Dagger was not done in 84. Man! We all been waiting for ths game to come out for 22 years and now David is going back and finishing where he left off on Cloak & Dagger for the 5200, I cant wait! :D

1009656[/snapback]

Man that sucked when it stopped in the middle. Arggg! Now to wait a whole month. He has a website for it but no updates.

Allan

1009656[/snapback]

Man that sucked when it stopped in the middle. Arggg! Now to wait a whole month. He has a website for it but no updates.

Allan

1009661[/snapback]

Hey its been 22 years that the game never came out but soon to be out, Ill wait one more month. ;)

1009656[/snapback]

Allan

1009661[/snapback]

Hey its been 22 years that the game never came out but soon to be out, Ill wait one more month. ;)

1009698[/snapback]

It's a month away to hear the end of the interview, not to finish the game. No idea when that will happen.

Allan

It's a month away to hear the end of the interview, not to finish the game. No idea when that will happen.

I'm going to go with when hell freezes over with that one kind of like project Airworld and Irata's Quest.

1009771[/snapback]

Damn you! I almost sprayed my monitor with milk from laughing! :)

Can anyone say 5200 Warlords/Castle Crisis?

Looks like Bryan better start Robe & Knife soon.

Allan

I'm going to go with when hell freezes over with that one kind of like project Airworld and Irata's Quest.

1009771[/snapback]

Oh it's going to happen. Trust me... :cool:

Tempest

1009771[/snapback]

Tempest

1009980[/snapback]

No offense, but I've heard that one before. I'll believe it when I actually see it.

1009771[/snapback]

Tempest

1009980[/snapback]

No offense, but I've heard that one before. I'll believe it when I actually see it.

1009982[/snapback]

Well then, you'll just have a be pleasently surprised when it comes out. :) This is no Airworld hoax, trust me.

Tempest

1009771[/snapback]

Tempest

1009980[/snapback]

1009982[/snapback]

Well then, you'll just have a be pleasently surprised when it comes out. :) This is no Airworld hoax, trust me.

Tempest

1009990[/snapback]

Believe me, this is one time I definitely hope I am wrong. This game's literally been on my want list for 22 years.

I'm eagerly anticipating this, too. I'm no 5200 fan, but if this makes it out and is not ported over to the 400/800 computers, it might be enough to make me get a 5200 all by itself.

Between David Comstock working on Cloak & Dagger and Keithen Hayenga reportedly picking up 5200 Tempest again, it's so great to see some of the Atari alumni revisiting their old work. I can't wait to see what they come up with!

Whoa! That was some loooooooooooooooooooooong show, wow! Its been a lot of fun working with Ken and Matt in helping Dave with Cloak & Dagger, it was just so freaky that when I put Matt in touch with him back in 02' that just around that time is when I found Dave's original diskette with C&D on it. I have a bunch of screenshots I can show of where Dave had left off in 84' We actually put together a website for the project - www.ataricloakanddagger.com and I need to finish uploading all of the images and info up there to get it active and current.

Curt

I'm eagerly anticipating this, too.  I'm no 5200 fan, but if this makes it out and is not ported over to the 400/800 computers, it might be enough to make me get a 5200 all by itself.

Between David Comstock working on Cloak & Dagger and Keithen Hayenga reportedly picking up 5200 Tempest again, it's so great to see some of the Atari alumni revisiting their old work.  I can't wait to see what they come up with!

1010010[/snapback]

It wasn't the long part that got me, it was the short stop. :) Shane, like him or not, does a great job with the show.

As far as finding the C & D source at that time, Divine Intervention? :)

Looking forward to seeing screen shots of where he got to before stopping.

You need to clone yourself Curt, so you can have enough time to do everything. :)

Allan

Whoa!  That was some loooooooooooooooooooooong show, wow!    Its been a lot of fun working with Ken and Matt in helping Dave with Cloak & Dagger, it was just so freaky that when I put Matt in touch with him back in 02' that just around that time is when I found Dave's original diskette with C&D on it.    I have a bunch of screenshots I can show of where Dave had left off in 84'    We actually put together a website for the project - www.ataricloakanddagger.com and I need to finish uploading all of the images and info up there to get it active and current.

Curt

I'm eagerly anticipating this, too.  I'm no 5200 fan, but if this makes it out and is not ported over to the 400/800 computers, it might be enough to make me get a 5200 all by itself.

Between David Comstock working on Cloak & Dagger and Keithen Hayenga reportedly picking up 5200 Tempest again, it's so great to see some of the Atari alumni revisiting their old work.  I can't wait to see what they come up with!

1010010[/snapback]

1010095[/snapback]

I have never listened to this show before, but I'm experiencing a slow day at work so I gave it a try. The interview is great, but I thought the rest of the show dragged a little bit. I'm not sure I'd say that "don't like" the host, but if I weren't at work, I would have fallen asleep about 56 minutes ago.

The interview, though, conveys a real sense of excitement and was very very cool.

It wasn't the long part that got me, it was the short stop. :)  Shane, like him or not, does a great job with the show.

Well, its working closely with friends like Dutchman and Tempest that helps get so much done, it takes a team effort to keep up with all that is going on, so onto the pics:

Thanks to Matt for screen captures of these from my Disk...

Lets see:

post-23-1138728344_thumb.jpg

post-23-1138728356_thumb.jpg

post-23-1138728367_thumb.jpg

post-23-1138728391_thumb.jpg

post-23-1138728408_thumb.jpg

post-23-1138728427_thumb.jpg

1010154[/snapback]

22 years and finaly we get to see the game in action, thanks for the screenshots! :lust:

I have photo of the disk I found, it was in one of Leonard Tramiels old boxes I bought from Hans Martin Krober many years back, at the bottom of the box half wedge to the side and bottom I find this disk bend in an L shape and I read the writing Cloak & Dagger, I freaked...

However I had a similar incident back around 95-96 where I found a cart labelled Airworld on it which just turned out to be Fireworld...

So I put the disk under some massive books and let it sit under there for quite a few days to help flatten it back out.... Put it into my disk drive, listened as its scratched its way around and I winched each time and there it was on the screen Cloak & Dagger running!

I IMMEDIATELY made an ATR of the disk before it possibly failed and now its safe and sound, I am really hoping that Dave finished soon, its been quite a few years, but just the very fact that he wants to finish the project is amazing, he's a very cool guy to talk with and as you heard from the interview, he has some great stories to tell.

Curt

Wait a minute........

You mean to tell me that the movie was a promo for a game that never made it to market?!?!??!?!?

:?  :?  :?  :o

1011774[/snapback]

Well kinda. The game used in the movie was originally going to Donkey Kong, but they changed it to Cloak & Dagger when they discovered Atari was creating a spy game. Actually the original name of the arcade game was Agent X, but it was changed to Cloak & Dagger for the movie.

Tempest

Iggy*SJB,Thu Feb 2, 2006 10:37 PM]Wait a minute........

You mean to tell me that the movie was a promo for a game that never made it to market?!?!??!?!?

:?  :?  :?  :o

1011774[/snapback]

What soo good about it is that once you see it its like a flashback in time as you see many old origanl video games and system in the backdrop :D

post-5587-1138945141.jpg

post-5587-1138945148.jpg

post-5587-1138945157.jpg

post-5587-1138945171.jpg

post-5587-1138945179.jpg

post-5587-1138945185.jpg

post-5587-1138945194.jpg

post-5587-1138945200.jpg

post-5587-1138945206.jpg

Edited by Atariboy2600