IGNORED

How to fix broken sound in a Lynx

karri

To my surprise several Lynxes are very silent. Some reverse engineering detected the mechanism how they break.

If you insert your AC power socket into the earphone connector while there is 9 V coming out from the AC adaptor you will fry the speaker itself. It may still work but the sound is very very weak. You can also test this by pluggin in earphones. The earphones work perfectly even when the speaker is fried.

Fix: buy a new 40 mm in diameter speaker. To get a very loud one get an 8 ohm version or to get a more silent one get a 16 ohm version.

The rest of the Lynx is undamaged.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

Hi i just bought another Lynx 2 & it had the sound problem, i've replaced the made in TAIWAN junk speaker & all works well again.

Any one have a spare lynx 1 complete or damaged or circuit board ? as the one i have has the power jack broken & its eating batteries :twisted:

:D Collection now consists of

Lynx 1 box tatty (damaged p.c.b & screen cover missing) working

Lynx 2 boxed (fixed sound) battery cover missing

Lynx 2 no box fully working complete

Lynx 2 no speaker/pcb. (spares unit)

Lynx battery pack

Games are:

batman returns

slime world

robotron

hydra

california games

s.t.u.n. runner

chekered flag

blue lightning

xybots

Could we not have a section dedicated to how to repair these systems - have it on fixed topic.

Also if it is ok with Mathias Domin could we have this page added to it ?

http://www.domin-connect.de/Atari/Lynx/lyn...description.htm

p.s i do not know a lot about electronics - but enjoy trying to fix the old lynx consoles, so would like to see more pictures/diagrams on how to fix common problems, i've managed to fix the sega gamegear sound problem & am now trying to improve my soldering skills - so please get a fixed repair topic on the Lynx :!:

for the record i prefer the mark 1 Lynx

Edited by lynx.repairs.page

The rest of the Lynx is undamaged.

Hi, Karri, are you saying one of the Lynxes I sent worked except for the speaker? That's surprising, because I couldn't get a good screen display on any unit I sent you (or so I thought). If that is true, then good for you, you've got a nice backup Lynx now. :)

1013140[/snapback]

Not quite. What I meant is that inserting the AC plug into the wrong socket damages only the speaker. All your Lynxes have several flaws. The major problem is power. None of your Lynxes can produce 5V. But with an external supply two of them produce sensible signals and one also starts executing code and this unit looks as if I will get it to work.

--

Karri

Could we not have a section dedicated to how to repair these systems - have it on fixed topic.

Also if it is ok with Mathias Domin could we have this page added to it ?

http://www.domin-connect.de/Atari/Lynx/lyn...description.htm

p.s i do not know a lot about electronics - but enjoy trying to fix the old lynx consoles, so would like to see more pictures/diagrams on how to fix common problems, i've managed to fix the sega gamegear sound problem & am now trying to improve my soldering skills - so please get a fixed repair topic on the Lynx :!:

1012795[/snapback]

I agree, it would be great to have a forum on fixing old systems, even better if it were for all old systems, not just the Lynx units.

I have been searching for how to fix the Game Gear sound problem as I have a unit with no speaker sound and really weak headphone output. Are you able to help out with how you did it?