IGNORED

Mikey and Suzy chip availability?

karri

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a stock of Mikey and Suzy chips somewhere still?

The power distribution inside the Lynx is not well done. If you apply too much voltage from the AC adaptor you fry a Zener diode resulting in too high voltage for the rest of the chips. Mikey seems to work as a fuse in this case. In my opinion it would be better to use a stable 6V power supply instead of 9V as is printed on the unit. The Zener heats up a lot with a stable 9V input and can get damaged in normal use.

Fortunately the Lynx seems to be protected for applying wrong polarity from the power supply.

--

Your daily Lynx technical bit of information.

Karri

If you actually measure what comes out of a US Lynx power adapter, it is closer to 12 Volts than 9. A Lynx I will die out near 5.5 Volts which is just under 1 volt per cell in the battery pack. That's the point where most batteries are fully discharged. A Lynx II will actually run with less than 5 Volts. This contributes a bit more to the battery life.

Hi,

Check best electgronics they are probably the best source of Atari parts that i know of according to their catalog they have both chips

c302284, vc5139 suzy 44pin PLCC $20

c301719 vc5138 mickey hayato 68 pin PLCC $24

their site is www.best-electronics-ca.com

1012267[/snapback]

Thanks.

--

Karri

I'm currently using my 220V adaptor here in canada (110v) the lynx powers just fine and there's no more risk to fry it. :-)

I understand how my friend could burn my lynx I now, I used to have a multipower adapter, he must have used the wrong settings on it (or maybe he swapped the polarities).