IGNORED

Color Palettes - For Emulation

MrFish

I'm curious what color palettes are being used by other folks out there to get the "truest" Atari 8-bit colors in emulation.

I use the Xformer palette with a slight luminance adjustment. This seems to mimic the color values of the 130xe well, to the best of my recallection (haven't used one in years).

I recall hearing that different a8's display different colors for the same game. If this is true, then it would be good to have palettes which reflect these differences.

Any thoughts?

The main difference is PAL vs NTSC. Colour 4 on PAL has much less of a red tint and Colour 15 on PAL is the same as Colour 15 on PAL.

There are slight differences in the overall palette on different machines, the 130XE tends to look slightly washed out compared to older models.

There can also be differences between the same machine depending on if it has had a video mod "fix" applied to it, and which type of video output is in use (e.g. TV, composite, S-Video).

Here is a thread where myself and some others have posted screen captures from different Atari 8-bit models:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...=78402&hl=video

Edited by Rybags

I had made a palette long time ago (like 6 years or even more) using a TV capture card. It's in the official release of Atari800Win PLus, the file is called Real.act (RealGray.act is a greyscaled version of that one). Therefore it's IMHO the most genuine palette. It was captured from a stock Atari 800XE with PAL output. The palette is a little bit too light in the dark tones, but it can be easily adjusted in the emulator (btw. there seems to be a bug in the latest release, which prevents the emulator from adjusting the palette settings on start so you have to go into the palette dialog box to reactivate the adjustments).