IGNORED

PcXformer doesn't recognize 1050 drive

calfranklin

The STXformer cable was soooooooooo picky about the parallel port used - You can almost NOT use it under Windows. When I got one I was lucky enough to get it to work under plain Dos 6 - It was so frustrating that I gave up - Get a SIO2PC and APE cable. Works like a charm

And I'll also say that every XFormer product I've ever used is complete and utter sh*t.

1014730[/snapback]

I'm afraid I must agree. The DOS version of XFormer was my first A8 emulator and remained my favorite for years, even though I wasn't happy with the clunky UI, but I abandoned it in favor of XL-It (in DOS) and eventually Atari800WinPLus (in Windows) and haven't looked back since. I remember that sound emulation was especially pitiful and compatibility wasn't too great, which is puzzling considering that Darek is a gifted programmer who was part of the A8 scene for years.

But, on a more positive note, APE has been the single most amazing piece of software I've ever bought. My compliments to Steve for such a versatile and high-quality product. I still use the DOS version more than any other, but I've been a happy customer for about six years now.

Edited by jaybird3rd

I 2nd the SIO2PC cable.  It makes life easy.

1014729[/snapback]

I'll third that. And APE rules.

And I'll also say that every XFormer product I've ever used is complete and utter sh*t.

1014730[/snapback]

Yup - agreed - Darek got alot of my money and I got little in return :(

Atari800win+ has been great!

Yup - agreed - Darek got alot of my money and I got little in return :(

1014819[/snapback]

BINGO!

I'm usually not that harsh on people - and I certainly wouldn't have been that critical of his stuff it was free - but I PAID money for CRAP.

And then to add insult to injury - I got basically "well thats the way it is" annoyed responses when I asked why the features that were printed right on the products manual as advertising - didn't work. Grrr. :x

And I'm being kind and holding back on really blasting out at Darek and his stuff...

Anyhow - I highly recommend Steve's stuff from Atarimax - and APE is a shining example. Steve is a smart AND friendly guy :thumbsup:

I never liked Darek products very much myself. And his attitude wasn’t the friendliest one, I agree. Certainly a big contrast with Steve who has great products and it’s a great person.

Nevertheless, Darek has some merits in being a pioneer in A8 emulation. Plus, thanks to him we can distribute the A8 ROMs (at least some of them) fully legally. Btw, it would be nice if Atari/Infogrames would give an explicit permission. But I suspect they won’t.

• 2 weeks later...
I just hooked up my modified ST Xfomer cable to the PC printer port and to the 1050 drive, opened Xformer2000 emulator, but it failed to recognize my 1050 drive.  What am I doing wrong?  I know this worked years ago on my ST.

1014208[/snapback]

I got one the ony time it works is when I've got hooked in to the ST but when it comes the PC it don't work at all, and think it killed my XF551, 1050 and a 810 using that ST Xfomer cable! :x