IGNORED

Transfer files to PC with 850 interface?

calfranklin

Can I transfer files from my 8-bit to the PC serial/parallel port using the 850 interface?

1016624[/snapback]

Easily. Do it all the time.

Works something like this...

PC serial - serial cable - null modem adaptor - Cable for 850 - 850 port #1

Set both term programs on the PC and Atari to 9600 baud since that is the best transfer rate. Bobterm is suggested on the Atari for file transfers.

Simply get them both connected, and when you can type characters on one computer and it show up on the other computer's screen, you're in business. From there start up I would suggest a Y modem transfer, and boom! The other term program should automatically pick up the name of the file you're sending.

It might take some practice but easily do able.

More important parts in this setup is the null modem adaptor (available at any radio shack type place) and a cable that converts standard serial to the pin arrangement on port #1 on the 850.

I could babble for hours on the 850, modems, etc... love that part of the Atari, and BBS's especially, but I'll stop my advise here and not bore you further. ;)

Can I transfer files from my 8-bit to the PC serial/parallel port using the 850 interface?

1016624[/snapback]

Easily. Do it all the time.

Works something like this...

PC serial - serial cable - null modem adaptor - Cable for 850 - 850 port #1

Set both term programs on the PC and Atari to 9600 baud since that is the best transfer rate. Bobterm is suggested on the Atari for file transfers.

Simply get them both connected, and when you can type characters on one computer and it show up on the other computer's screen, you're in business. From there start up I would suggest a Y modem transfer, and boom! The other term program should automatically pick up the name of the file you're sending.

It might take some practice but easily do able.

More important parts in this setup is the null modem adaptor (available at any radio shack type place) and a cable that converts standard serial to the pin arrangement on port #1 on the 850.

I could babble for hours on the 850, modems, etc... love that part of the Atari, and BBS's especially, but I'll stop my advise here and not bore you further. ;)

1016741[/snapback]

Thanks for advice on using the 850 interface. I've never tried the file transfer, but I used to use it constantly for printer connection. Which Atari power supply works best with the 850?

Thanks for advice on using the 850 interface.  I've never tried the file transfer, but I used to use it constantly for printer connection.  Which Atari power supply works best with the 850?

1017793[/snapback]

The 850 uses the same power supply as the 1050 disk drive and 1010 program recorder (and the Atari 800 computer, for that matter).

Speaking of printers ... I've been thinking about connecting a parallel printer to my Atari computer, and I'm wondering whether I should use the 850's parallel port with an adapter cable or a MicroPrint interface (I have both). Does anyone have an opinion on which option is better, or are they both the same? Also, can both be used at the same time?

Thanks for advice on using the 850 interface.  I've never tried the file transfer, but I used to use it constantly for printer connection.  Which Atari power supply works best with the 850?

1017793[/snapback]

The 850 uses the same power supply as the 1050 disk drive and 1010 program recorder (and the Atari 800 computer, for that matter).

Speaking of printers ... I've been thinking about connecting a parallel printer to my Atari computer, and I'm wondering whether I should use the 850's parallel port with an adapter cable or a MicroPrint interface (I have both). Does anyone have an opinion on which option is better, or are they both the same? Also, can both be used at the same time?

1017812[/snapback]

Hmmm I'd say if you are already using the 850, go ahead and use that parallel port. I know that some of the printer add ons added a bit more functionality (buffers, centronix connects, etc) and there are more drivers for some than others, but bottom line, the 850 parallel port worked alright in the cases where I used it.

As for multiple parallel devices, good question. I would imagine that you could have a parallel off of the 850 and another device hooked by by the Microprint. Just another device on the SIO dairy chain.

1017793[/snapback]

1017812[/snapback]

Hmmm I'd say if you are already using the 850, go ahead and use that parallel port. I know that some of the printer add ons added a bit more functionality (buffers, centronix connects, etc) and there are more drivers for some than others, but bottom line, the 850 parallel port worked alright in the cases where I used it.

As for multiple parallel devices, good question. I would imagine that you could have a parallel off of the 850 and another device hooked by by the Microprint. Just another device on the SIO dairy chain.

1019869[/snapback]

Interesting. I have a P:R: Connection and a Supra Microprint cable. I never thought about hooking up two printers with them both. For that matter I never had more than one Atari printer/plotter hooked up to my system before. Is it possible to have P1:, P2:, P3:, etc. on the Atari's like with disk drives? How about Modems?

If so, how would the Atari detect if it's a 1st or 2nd, etc. printer? Or could you only do it by using them one at a time (one shut off) or will ALL printer print out at the same time? :? If it can detect multiple printers, how? Does it just print on the first one it detects if P1: is used, and if P2: or higher is used, it ignores the first printer in the chain and looks for the next?

Edited by Gunstar

If so, how would the Atari detect if it's a 1st or 2nd, etc. printer? Or could you only do it by using them one at a time (one shut off) or will ALL printer print out at the same time? :? If it can detect multiple printers, how? Does it just print on the first one it detects if P1: is used, and if P2: or higher is used, it ignores the first printer in the chain and looks for the next?

The computer doesn't "detect" the number of devices attached to SIO. If you request an I/O operation, the computer simply tries to send commands and data to the device specified. All devices in the SIO chain receive the commands, just only one reacts, namely the one which recognizes own device code and device number sent along with the command.

And so if you attach two printers to the SIO, and try to print something, most probably both printers will react. But SIO protocol allows the computer to talk with only one device at a time, so if two printers react on a command and both send acknowledges back to the computer, the computer will probably get very confused.

Edited by drac030

The computer doesn't "detect" the number of devices attached to SIO. If you request an I/O operation, the computer simply tries to send commands and data to the device specified. All devices in the SIO chain receive the commands, just only one reacts, namely the one which recognizes own device code and device number sent along with the command.

And so if you attach two printers to the SIO, and try to print something, most probably both printers will react. But SIO protocol allows the computer to talk with only one device at a time, so if two printers react on a command and both send acknowledges back to the computer, the computer will probably get very confused.

1020318[/snapback]

I know how the disk drives work, thanks. I always though any devices worked the sam as the drives, so without a switch like the drive have (1-4) then you could only have one printer hooked up. So you are not telling me anything I didn't already know, but I thought, since multiple printers was mentioned, that maybe the P: handler worked differently for some reason, whicis why I asked, but you have confirmed what I had always thought. So, I suppose you can have multiple printers attached to the chain, but you can only have one on at a time. Not that I need more than one printer on at a time anyway, I was just curious to the possibility that there was still something about SIO daisy-chaining that I did not know.

II thought, since multiple printers was mentioned, that maybe the P: handler worked differently for some reason

No, the P: handler goes to SIO calls and so it uses the same low-level I/O protocol as disk drives do.

You of course can (theoretically) avoid the conflict between two printers at the SIO level connecting one to the parallel bus via some interface. :-)