IGNORED

Games that work with 1-button controllers

NightSprinter

Yeah, I've been fiddling around with some games on my 7800 to see what their functionality is with single-button controllers from the 2600 are. Here are the results for the nine games I own so far.

Pole Position II: No brakes (lack of second button).

Galaga: No problems.

Dig Dug: No roblems.

Joust: No problems.

Desert Falcon: Power-ups activate while button is held or pressed.

Ballblazer: No problems.

Scrapyard Dog: UNPLAYABLE (cannot jump or throw cans).

Winter Games: No problems.

Super Huey UH-IX: UNPLAYABLE (unable to do anything but move in Arcade Mode)

I would love to hear from other 7800 owners with their input on the playability of other 7800 games with single-button controls. It's about time we got an official list made (especially for the FAQ on the 7800 pages on the main site).

Dark Chambers: Can't use stored bombs.

Asteroids: Will not always work with third party 2600 controllers.

My list of fully playable

Anything Pac Man

Joust

Centipede

Galaga

Anything with Mario

Food Fight

My unplayable list:

Mean 18 Golf

Both Activision titles

Both Froggo titles

One on One

Choplifter!

Karateka

Jinks

This may be sort of off the thread, but is this list driven by the fact that the Pro Line controllers are so bad?

We may have been spoiled here in Australia as the 7800 (and for that matter the last of the "Rainbow" 2600s) were supplied with the two button joy pad (very similar to the NES unit) and therefore great for most games apart from Winter and Summer Games, where it really is nowhere near as much fun as almost breaking a joystick trying to go faster. :D

This may be sort of off the thread, but is this list driven by the fact that the Pro Line controllers are so bad?

We may have been spoiled here in Australia as the 7800 (and for that matter the last of the "Rainbow" 2600s) were supplied with the two button joy pad (very similar to the NES unit) and therefore great for most games apart from Winter and Summer Games, where it really is nowhere near as much fun as almost breaking a joystick trying to go faster.  :D

1018961[/snapback]

Not really so much about the shitty prolines, but more what can a cx-40 be used for on the 7800.

Great job, guys.  Keep it up.

Oesil, the reason why I wanted this is so this can be added to the FAQ at AA's 7800 pages.  While I know that atari7800.org has a list, it's not very readable (seperate colums, the use of colored fonts such as orange against a white background, etc.).

1018849[/snapback]

OK, since that's my site and I'm also one of the 7800 FAQ admins I guess you need to tell me exactly what you want.

Just a straight list of games that are one button only? My main concern is that trying to explain how each game works with a single button controller could make the list too convoluted to be useful. But you guys tell me what works for you.

Mitch

I've actually written a Joystick FAQ which you can find on GameFAQs regarding this very topic. Currently, I'm only allowing it to be hosted there, but I'm more than willing to modify that so it can also be hosted on here.

Also, which difficulty switch do you use to toggle 1 or 2 button modes in Xevious?

Edited by LarcenTyler

One thing that has bewildered me is that the 7800 version of Hat Trick is only a one-button game in the sense that both buttons perform the same function, yet it was programmed in such a way that it requires a two-button joystick. It cannot be played with a 2600-style one-button joystick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phew.. I thought my 7800 was screwing up when solvalou started shooting both at once. Also, I didn't know it had difficulty switches... I'm gonna go look for those now.

Ok... Sneaky buggers. Now is left position expert and right novice, like the 2600? Do these switches even have a function in most games, since many games have a difficulty selectable with the joystick or select button?

Phew.. I thought my 7800 was screwing up when solvalou started shooting both at once. Also, I didn't know it had difficulty switches... I'm gonna go look for those now.

Ok... Sneaky buggers. Now is left position expert and right novice, like the 2600?

Nope, the 7800 swaps the positions, for whatever reason. Left is novice, right is expert, opposite of the 2600.

Edit: Actually, the reason probably has to do with the switches being moved from the back to the front of the console. If you were to turn a 2600 around and look directly at the switches, the novice and expert settings would be in the same as for the 7800.

Do these switches even have a function in most games, since many games have a difficulty selectable with the joystick or select button?

I'd say off-hand, most 7800 games don't use them. I certainly don't remember needing them for any game outside of Xevious (except for Pac-Man, but that's a homebrew).

Edited by skunkworx