IGNORED

Multiplayer emulation?

WimW

Hello guys,

I don't play much anymore... but there's just one thing I would LOVE to be able to do... play slimeworld's level 5 with 3 or 4 people sitting around one big PC screen. Everyone could get one quarter of the screen.

(Sorry to say but I get a headache looking at the lynx screen.)

As far as I know, Handy can't do it, since there's a problem with the networking code. And even if there wasn't, you can't run multiple instances, since they all want to get the same port number.

And if one could get them to connect to different port numbers, I wouldn't know how to get all traffic mirrored to the other ports, although I do have a linux box right next to me, which I could probably set up to do the mirroring relatively easily.

Any ideas? Well, it's not like I have any time for this sort of thing anyway, but I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

Cheers,

Wim

• Like 1

As far as I know, Handy can't do it, since there's a problem with the networking code. And even if there wasn't, you can't run multiple instances, since they all want to get the same port number.

And if one could get them to connect to different port numbers, I wouldn't know how to get all traffic mirrored to the other ports, although I do have a linux box right next to me, which I could probably set up to do the mirroring relatively easily.

Any ideas? Well, it's not like I have any time for this sort of thing anyway, but I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

Cheers,

Wim

1018381[/snapback]

I have been thinking about this as well. What I would like to do is to have Handy define one port it listens to and have one IP/port client to connect to.

Then you could chain Handy's to form a loop. Every transmitted UDP packet would pass around the loop and get discarded when it reaches the sender.

Example:

Handy 1 listens at 127.0.0.1/4001 sends to 127.0.0.1/4002

Handy 2 listens at 127.0.0.1/4002 sends to 127.0.0.1/4003

Handy 3 listens at 127.0.0.1/4003 sends to 127.0.0.1/4004

Handy 4 listens at 127.0.0.1/4004 sends to 127.0.0.1/4001

The socket code to do this is really quite trivial. To insert this so that the hardware emulation reads/writes the stuff to the ComLynx hardware may be more difficult.

To run 4 local Handy's you also need some kind of joypad-selector in every Handy instance and enough hardware to make multiplaying possible.

It would also be possible to create a ComLynx - USB - UDP gateway for people who can stand the Lynx screen without getting headache.

--

karri

• Like 1

Yes you can. A point-to-point communication is more generic as it can leave the subnet in case you want to play over internet. And there is some very interesting hardware around with WiFi connectivity that run Handy at full speed (Sony PSP).

--

Karri

• Like 1

it would be so cool to have multiplayer modes, but when you think about it, you need to have the community know where the connection is and be able to secure system so that nobody abuses it.

If you wanted to take it further, you can setup a database structure with user login and a server setup with maybe IRC connection or create our own lobby for all the players to know.

Another idea to take it even further, you could have a highscore submit option in handy.

These are just some ideas I'm throwing in.

wouldn't it be more easy to design a server which would accept connexions always on the same port, you launch a server, give the ip to those willing to play

no need to configure handy for different ports.

1018757[/snapback]

I don't like the idea of dedicated servers. I rather write the code so that the Lynx can act as a server itself.

The way I would like to see a turn-based game like HeroQuest on the Lynx is like:

4 persons, single Lynx:

Pass the Lynx around.

4 persons, 2-4 Lynxes:

One Lynx has the game cart others have downloader carts. Some players may share a Lynx. Netplay over ComLynx.

Lynxes and PC:s:

Add a ComLynx-UDP gateway on one PC and emulate HeroQuest on an UDP-aware Handy. Netplay over internet using the IP/port connection loop and ComLynx.

PC:s only:

Just drop the Lynxes and the gateway from previous setup.

It would be nice to see how well Handy works with games requiring low lag times for ComLynx.

--

Karri

• Like 1