IGNORED

What DOS can let me use more than 1 RAMDRIVE?

walter_J64bit

Ok I've got SuperDOS v5.0 but I can only use one RAMDISK with it. Is there a DOS can I use more than 1 RAMDISK? I do have an 800XL with 256k.   :?

1019855[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure SpartaDOS and MyDOS allow you to choose the SIZE of your ramdisk, so you'll at least use all your memory, they MAY let you have more than one too, but I've never tried. I remember using SuperDOS 5.0 about 15 years ago as an alternative to SpartaDos, with my US Doubler for the 1050, before I took the time to learn SpartaDOS (I didn't know MS-DOS at the time either, and actually learned MS-DOS quite quickly and easily after having learned&used SpartaDOS for years). Anyway, SuperDOS was fantastic as far as I was concerned, and quite inclusive, are you SURE it can't let you choose the size or use another Ramdisk? I can only assume you know it well enough to use the extended menu, it is an option on the main menu screen, after all...are there no ramdisk options there? I admit it's been about 15 years, so I don't remember a LOT about it. I do know I prefered it to MyDOS, though now I think they all suck compared to SpartaDOS. :D

Edited by Gunstar

SuperDOS was fantastic as far as I was concerned, and quite inclusive, are you SURE it can't let you choose the size

I can choose the size of the ramdisk but I can only use one ramdisk you think multiple ramdisks would had been part of all DOS's back in the day.

Edited by walter_J64bit

Well,

afaik a patched version of DOs 2.5 (called DOS 2.75) and/or a patched RD-driver (Ramdisk.COM) can handle two Ramdisks (D7: and D8:) with 128k each for a 256k system. you know - 128k thats Medium/Enhanced density and since DOS 2.5 cannot handle DD it uses two Ramdisks (or two drive specifiers) for 256k extended RAM...

older versions of Super-DOS behave much the same way, they use 2 ramdisks with 128k each... -Andreas Magenheimer.