IGNORED

Ascii Text in ROMs

DanBoris

I am sure someone has done this before, but I haven't seen a complete list anywhere on these boards, so I throught I'd post it.

I thought it would be interesting to scan through all the 2600 ROM images looking for ASCII text. So I wrote a little program to do this automatically. I had it look for runs of 5 or more upper or lower case ascii characters in each ROM file. Even at 5 characters it turned up a lot of false positives, but it also came up with some very interesting things.

Most where just copyrights or credits:

big bird's egg catch (1983) (atari).a26

CHRISTOPHER H

OMARZU

blueprint (1983) (cbs electronics).a26

DIDOMENICO

bmx air master (1989) (tnt games).a26

COPYRIGHT

TNT GAMES

DEVELOPED BY SCULPTURED SOFTWARE

WRITTEN BY ADAM CLAYTON

Bump 'N' Jump (1983) (Mattel) [b1].a26

Copyright

Mattel Dave Akers Jeff Ratcliff Pat Dulong

elk attack (1987) (atari).a26

ELK ATTACK

Mark R

Hahn

gopher (1982) (us games).a26

COPYRIGHT

US GAMES CORP

james bond 007 (1983) (parker bros).a26

PJOE GAUCHER LOUIS MARBEL

tutankham (1983) (parker bros).a26

PARKERBROS

DAVEENGMAN

Word Zapper (1982) (US Games) (PAL) [p1][!].a26

COPYRIGHT

US GAMES CORP

nGAME

ZAPPER

Mattel was a little posessive:

star strike (1982) (mattel).a26

MATTEL MATTEL MATTEL MATTEL MATTEL

These two roms had this same set of text in them. Sorta looks like some compiler commands or parameters:

cosmic corridor (zimag).a26

space tunnel (bitcorp) (pal).a26

LINK 1.6

INIT

TPLEN

XMIN

YMIN

YMAX

XMAX

START

CENT

CC09

CC06

CC07

CC08

This one is very odd, looks like a chunck of disk commands and messages:

parachute (homevision) (pal).a26

OPE

APPEN

RENAM

CATALO

MAXFILE

BSAV

BLOA

AVAILABL

RANGE ERRO

WRITE PROTECTE

END OF DAT

FILE NOT FOUN

VOLUME MISMATC

ERRO

DISK FUL

FILE LOCKE

SYNTAX ERRO

NO BUFFERS

These two actually have chuncks of source code left in them:

pompeii (apollo) (prototype).a26

SCRLP1

STA STRTLINE

NOP

NOP

STA WORK

LDA (DNROCK1),Y

STA BULLETR

LDA MNT1,Y

STA HIRESL

lost luggage (1981) (apollo) [a1].a26

LSR A

LSR A

STA SNDTYPE

LDA

LDA #SUITCASE&255

STA INTL

BCS CONTINUE

TAX

.BYTE 0,0,0,0,0,0

SUIT1 .BYT

SUIT3 .BYTE $00,$18,$18,$3C,$24,$66,$42

.BYTE $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00

SUIT4 .BYTE $00,$

BRIEF .BYTE $00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$18,$18

.BYTE $3C,$7E,$7E,$00,$00,$00,$00

SOCKS .BYTE $00,$44,$CC,$66,

This one is very odd, looks like a chunck of disk commands and messages:

OPE

APPEN

RENAM

CATALO

MAXFILE

BSAV

BLOA

AVAILABL

RANGE ERRO

WRITE PROTECTE

END OF DAT

FILE NOT FOUN

VOLUME MISMATC

ERRO

DISK FUL

FILE LOCKE

SYNTAX ERRO

NO BUFFERS 

This appears to be Apple II DOS 3.3. THis game was obviously developed on an Apple II.

OPE

APPEN

RENAM

CATALO

MAXFILE

BSAV

BLOA

AVAILABL

RANGE ERRO

WRITE PROTECTE

END OF DAT

FILE NOT FOUN

VOLUME MISMATC

ERRO

DISK FUL

FILE LOCKE

SYNTAX ERRO

NO BUFFERS 

1022799[/snapback]

I would guess that the byte following each of those messages was the last ASCII character, plus 128 (e.g. $CE following OPE, $C4 following APPEN, etc.)

My guess is that on ROMs where you see assembly or computer commands, you're actually seeing the uninitialized memory from the dev system -- the assembled game didn't take up the whole space, and the assembler didn't clear memory first, so the chunk of memory saved to make the ROM just has what happened to be around in RAM earlier.

Since the 2600 had no character generator, most text was raw pixels.

1024350[/snapback]

Even programs that used character generators (e.g. Stellar Track and Dark Mage, and BASIC Programming) didn't use ASCII. Text would instead be stored as an offset into the character set. Using ASCII would require either having a minimum 59-character (blank=32 Z=90) set or else using a translation table to convert ASCII to something else. BASIC programming probably could have used ASCII (it's got an 81 character set) if the funny glyphs were given the codes of unused ASCII characters, but there still wouldn't have been much advantage. Dark Mage used a much smaller character set, and thus using ASCII would have complicated things.

Even programs that used character generators (e.g. Stellar Track and Dark Mage, and BASIC Programming) didn't use ASCII.  Text would instead be stored as an offset into the character set.  Using ASCII would require either having a minimum 59-character (blank=32 Z=90) set or else using a translation table to convert ASCII to something else.  BASIC programming probably could have used ASCII (it's got an 81 character set) if the funny glyphs were given the codes of unused ASCII characters, but there still wouldn't have been much advantage.  Dark Mage used a much smaller character set, and thus using ASCII would have complicated things.

1024653[/snapback]

You are correct the cartridges you mention don't have any ASCII text in them, but Magicard does contain all the 6502 opcodes in ASCII:

ILLADCANDASLBCCBCSBEQBITBMIBNEBPLBVCBVSCMPCPXCPYDECEORINCJMPJSRLDALDXLDYLSRORAROLRORSBCSTASTXSTYASLBRKCLCCLDCLICLVDEXDEYINXINYLSRNOPPHAPHPPLAPLPROLRORRTIRTSSECSEDSEITAXTAYTSXTXATXSTYA I X) RZ ZXZY)Y() A X Y

Dan

Nice work, DanBoris. Have you tried Millipede yet?

1024076[/snapback]

Actually, I missed Millipede, here's what in it:

DAVE STAUGAS LOVES BEATRICE HABLIG

Anyone know the story behind this?

1024902[/snapback]

I asked someone about this once. Apperently it was a girl (who also worked at Atari) that Dave was hot for. The person didn't recall if they ever got married or not, I'll have to dig out the e-mail and look.

Tempest

1024076[/snapback]

1024902[/snapback]

I asked someone about this once. Apperently it was a girl (who also worked at Atari) that Dave was hot for. The person didn't recall if they ever got married or not, I'll have to dig out the e-mail and look.

Tempest

1024917[/snapback]

IIRC, a similar statement appears in the ST ROMs as well.

-Bry

• 2 years later...

First of all, Dave Staugas is/was a real person - true old school Atari assembler programmer who in the age of the Atari TOS was asked to do really complicated and awkward stuff. He was considerd a programmer thinking "around corners" - coming to very fundamentally different and at the same time truely brilliant solutions. In the Atari TOS and later with the Jaguar the company would ask him to figure out by software workarounds for hardware bugs, so that product development could go on without having to wait for a fixed batch of chips - or - alternatively - without ever requiring to run a fixed batch of chips. in the first place.

For the most time when he was working at Atari in the 1196 Borregas Avenue Building in Sunnyvale I beleive to remember him driving a car with the California number plate "IO DRVR" :-)

Bea(trice) Hablig is/was also a real person, but I am fully unaware if whe ever worked at Atari. She is/was a painter, photographer, installation and overall quite versatile artist. She studied art in University of California, Berkeley, and was living in Oakland - at least back in the mid nineties. She had numerous publications, appearances in local galleries, art projects and exhibitions in the greater SF Bay area starting in the at the brink of the eighties - the newest item on her web site is dated 2003.

She is a very kind lady and it would certainly most appropriate to NOT be bothered with the code Dave left us in the ROMs - she might think it was not such a good idea... On the other hand I know for a fact that she and Dave were still quite good friends well after the time of the creation of any of those ROMs.

I guess it could feel a bit strange if someone creates such line of text but I also still think that - considering it was one of the most efficient ways at that time to spread the sentence globally - is was a truely heartwarming gesture of Dave.

Should anyone EVER get a hint where Dave might be today or what happend to him, i'd be extremely happy to learn about it, after all its well over a decade when we last met....

Have a trigger happy evening !

• Like 1

Theres lots of loving in those old atari games:

In three of the HES games you'll get a proposal message. So instead of a screen like this:

Sports Action Pak

post-7074-1232268651_thumb.png

You'll get this if you press both fire buttons and power on the Atari:

post-7074-1232268808_thumb.png

And if you press left on the on the left joystick while still holding the firebuttons it goes to:

post-7074-1232269038_thumb.png

It looks a little funny that the Activision logo is still scrolling in the meantime. If they only knew. :D

Now the Super Action Pak is also exactly the same, but the Super Hit Pak is slightly different then the rest as it has a row of hearts on the bottom, and no Activision logo. The following screen also starts with "I Love You". The Super Action Pak and the Sports Action Pak don't have this extra row of hearts, and are missing the "I Love You" on the following screen.

post-7074-1232269346_thumb.pngpost-7074-1232269359_thumb.png

Edited by Omegamatrix