IGNORED

Nes Sound Chip Ripoff Of POKEY?

2600khz

No. They're both simple square wave generators which were common in the late 70's to mid 80's.

The NES used a simple Texas Instruments PSG which according to http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=866

could generate 2 channels of square wave, 1 of triangle, and 1 of white noise.

Lots of computers and consoles used "off the shelf" sound generators.

The Atari ST, Acorn BBC, and MSX were just a few.

Since simple square waves sound much the same, and noise generators which don't use filters also sound similar, music on such machines can sound very similar.

Edited by Rybags

The NES has a few different sound generators including a square wave generator with variable duty-cycle, triangle generator, noise, and low-quality PCM for drums and such. The CPU and sound generators are in the same chip (the 2A03).

Look here: http://nesdev.parodius.com/2A03%20technical%20reference.txt

-Bry

The NES actually used a custom soundchip which was combined with the CPU IIRC

1023664[/snapback]

yep! thats why when i overclock a NES, the pitch of the sound gets slightly higher.

1023701[/snapback]

so.. why overclock a NES (apart from 'because I can')? - the software is timed to the system to a varying extent so you wouldn't gain anything.

so.. why overclock a NES (apart from 'because I can')? - the software is timed to the system to a varying extent so you wouldn't gain anything.

1025706[/snapback]

In many games the action will slow down in certain situations, like when there are a large number of enemies on the screen at once perhaps. Overclocking the CPU often takes away the slowdown.

IIRC, if you overclock more than 50% then sprite attributes DMA becomes unreliable (resulting in graphical glitches)

1025706[/snapback]

In many games the action will slow down in certain situations, like when there are a large number of enemies on the screen at once perhaps. Overclocking the CPU often takes away the slowdown.

IIRC, if you overclock more than 50% then sprite attributes DMA becomes unreliable (resulting in graphical glitches)

1025732[/snapback]

Ahh - fair point. It's just in a lot of 8-bit machines inevitably devlopers end up resorting to nasty tricks to push the machine which are cycle-timed and without delving too deeply into NES code I assumed the situation would be similar...

Ahh - fair point. It's just in a lot of 8-bit machines inevitably devlopers end up resorting to nasty tricks to push the machine which are cycle-timed and without delving too deeply into NES code I assumed the situation would be similar...

1026689[/snapback]

On the Commodore 64, most code was either 'fast enough' or it wasn't; the processor could have run a billion instructions per second and many games wouldn't care so long as the timers and video kept running at the normal speeds (most of the games that would be effected weren't being cycle-precise anyway--they were just using CPU speed to estimate game play, so doubling the CPU speed would make everything run twice as fast).

The only things I can recall being really CPU-speed dependent were either floppy-disk or tape loaders, or games and demos which tricked out the left and right borders. Otherwise, stuff didn't care if things got finished "early".

The Nintendo obviously isn't going to use any floppy-disk or tape loaders. Unlike the 2600 which is based upon having the CPU mess with the video mid-frame, or the Commodore 64 which allows it, the Nintendo really isn't designed for such tricks. Generally games on the Nintendo set up the data for a frame, wait for it to be displayed, set up the data for the next frame, wait for it to be displayed, etc. All that matters is that the data be ready by the time it's needed. It doesn't matter whether it's ready 10us before it's needed or 10ms.

1025706[/snapback]

1025732[/snapback]

I tested this out. Several games don't like the overclock at all, including a very small oc from 1.8mhz to 2.0mhz.

RC Pro Am changes colors until everything is at one color at one point

ALL Aladdin enhanced games won't boot at all

And gradius 2 is split at halfway.

This happens on both overclocks, the other games are very minor glitches and all of them have a higher pitched sound.

But, the most important part, almost all the lag is gone on TMNT 3. Remember the jumping foot soldiers and how the game would go to almost a complete stop? Now only a slight lag when the max foot soldiers jump out.

Edited by keilbaca