IGNORED

Comming Back! To Atari

sniperstorm

Well I just got married a little bit ago. And from Moving from my house to the new place with my wife. I uncovered my Atari 130xe, 1200XL 2 1050 drives, and a sx modem, and some other stuff. I did discover all my drives where missing the screws to hold them together. Any one have any idea where I can get replacement screws, like maybe what size and thread pitch they are. Any info would be helpfull. Also what is the purpose of adding a hard drive to the 8-bits, how do you format them, can someone direct me to where to do this mod and set it up?

Well I just got married a little bit ago. And from Moving from my house to the new place with my wife. I uncovered my Atari 130xe, 1200XL 2 1050 drives, and a sx modem, and some other stuff. I did discover all my drives where missing the screws to hold them together. Any one have any idea where I can get replacement screws, like maybe what size and thread pitch they are. Any info would be helpfull. Also what is the purpose of adding a hard drive to the 8-bits, how do you format them, can someone direct me to where to do this mod and set it up?

1023819[/snapback]

Congrats on the marriage and welcome back to the Atari world!!

All you need to know about how to add a hard drive to your Atari

http://www.mr-atari.com/

Edited by Guitarman

Well I just got married a little bit ago. And from Moving from my house to the new place with my wife. I uncovered my Atari 130xe, 1200XL 2 1050 drives, and a sx modem, and some other stuff. I did discover all my drives where missing the screws to hold them together. Any one have any idea where I can get replacement screws, like maybe what size and thread pitch they are. Any info would be helpfull.

1023819[/snapback]

Welcome back to the Atari scene!!

I've looked at the screws on my 1050 drive and they appear to be screws that are about 7/8th inches long from head to tip. The tip is self tapping, the head is a rounded philips with the turns on the screw at a little under 1/16th inch. My apologies if you don't use the standard system often, I tried to find a metric ruler. :D

Bear in mind that the screws (this one was brass) is a special kind for plastic. So a machine or wood screw, by design, could split the plastic. Basically these plastic screws had a consistant shaft radius with narrow turns (as I mentioned, under 1/16th inch) to fix into plastic without splitting it.

My dad came up with a good solution. Atari generally used a similar screw for various items. I took a screw out of a Atari joystick for example and it measures at 6/8 (3/4) but the turns are still at under 1/16th so it held the drive together basically.

Just some suggestions.

Worse case scenario, the handy man's secret weapon ... duct tape! :D

Also what is the purpose of adding a hard drive to the 8-bits, how do you format them, can someone direct me to where to do this mod and set it up?

1023819[/snapback]

Guitarman's link for the MyIde is a great one. The best one perhaps would be...

http://www.atarimax.com

There you get two choices. The MyIde modules (like the MyIde and 1 meg flash) or the SIO2PC cable.

I always suggest to those setting up for the first time to try the SIO2PC route first. I mean there are thousands of images out there, you hook your Atari to your (IBM or Mac based) PC and then run one of those images. I love it!

Once you have that (and quick access to images all across the internet like that.. which is helpful when people have new programs here to try, or to jump into the game contests here) then later you can set up the MyIde hard drive.

There are other solutions to hard drives BTW. ATR 8000 (ooolllllddddddd I believe MFM and IDE solutions), Black Box (bit costly, but hey, it does SCSI!), and there is a module out there for plugging into the expansion port of the back of the XL or XE. So take your pick.

Anyway, again welcome back, let me know if you need anything to get you started, and keep an eye out for the Atari BBS's available over telnet...

The Cafe (run on real 8-bit Aari)- telnet://thecafe.dtdns.net 8888

Boot Factory (emulated 8-bit Atari) - Telnet://bfbbs.no-ip.com

Dark Forces (run on real Atari Mega ST) - telnet://24.177.23.74

There are other ones, so keep your eye open for them.

Well I opened up the keyboard and found 20 year old goop on the membrane, what is a good way to safely clean it?

1024101[/snapback]

Hmmm... not exactly sure on this one, since my 8-bit fandom leans to the beige side of the Fuji (400/800 primarily) and my only 130 XE only partially works (bad ram sectors) with no keyboard.

If no one else answers in a week I'll try to give suggestions that would NORMALLY work, but I know there are numerous 130 XE fans around there that could give more exact advice. (cough cough... Cybernoid...) :D

130 XE fans.. you're turn please. :)