IGNORED

Telnet BBS

sniperstorm

How do you hook a 8-bit up to telnet or the internet to run a bbs that way?

1025142[/snapback]

You can use the Lantronix UDS10. Its a serial port to LAN converter. Works great. Thats what I'm currently using on my BBS. DarkForce is an Atari ST based BBS, but the concept should be the same, I'd reckon.

Check out my website for pics of the UDS10. (see sig).

HTHs.

How do you hook a 8-bit up to telnet or the internet to run a bbs that way?

1025142[/snapback]

You can use the Lantronix UDS10. Its a serial port to LAN converter. Works great. Thats what I'm currently using on my BBS. DarkForce is an Atari ST based BBS, but the concept should be the same, I'd reckon.

Check out my website for pics of the UDS10. (see sig).

HTHs.

1025343[/snapback]

Thats cool I have to get my ST working again. I used to run several BBS systems back in the day. I ran "The ST Guild" for all the ST years, and had a few articals about it in several magazines. I ran that on Express, then I switched to FoReM, and ran Shattered Destinies. I still have my 2 Maxtor drives for a total of 225 megs back in the day. What software do I need to use. I am like totaly clueless on the telnet thing.

Thats cool I have to get my ST working again. I used to run several BBS systems back in the day. I ran "The ST Guild" for all the ST years, and had a few articals about it in several magazines. I ran that on Express, then I switched to FoReM, and ran Shattered Destinies. I still have my 2 Maxtor drives for a total of 225 megs back in the day. What software do I need to use. I am like totaly clueless on the telnet thing.

1025365[/snapback]

Thats the wonderful thing about using the Lantronix UDS10. You don't have to have special software! :-)

Seriously, I took my BBS Express ST v1.98a setup that I had been using with a Supra modem, and switched it straight over. The only thing I had to do on the ST side was change the mdm file that sent modem commands. I made a blank one (removed all the entries). Until I did that - Express wouldn't answer any incoming calls. Of course I left software in place like hsmodem and the CPX that sets serial port settings.

Now on the hardware side, I had to do a few things. You can actually telnet or use a web brower to log right into the UDS10. You set your own password so that nobody but you can make changes. You have to set a few things to make it act like a modem and receive calls, but its not too hard. I'm using a Dlink hardware router and I dedicated 1 line/ip address (192.168.0.104) to the Mega ST4 that runs the BBS. I set port forwarding in the router so that anyone who telnets to my actual online ip address is forwarded to the BBSs internal (LAN) ip address of 192.168.0.104. I also arranged with my domain provider (register4less) to setup my actual physical internet address as "bbs.darkforce.org" so that anyone can just telnet to that, instead of having to remember the quad number of the ip address itself.

So basically, when someone enters "telnet bbs.darkforce.org" they are sent to my 24.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address, where my Dlink router forwards them to the BBSs internal address of 192.168.0.104, where the UDS10 converts it to serial data for the Mega ST4, and BBS Express just interprets it as a modem call and answers. :-)

I hope that answers your questions and doesn't confuse you!