IGNORED

2600 carts that won't fit in 7800's slot?!

spiderallis

After getting my power supply and hooking up my beloved 7800 and playing some old favorites, I dug into the stash of 2600 carts I found while cleaning out a vacated apartment. There's one cart in there that I really want to play but won't fit the 7800's slot, Demon Attack. It's a 2600 game, but the cart itself is slighter wider than any of the other games, wondering if this is a common thing? Are there certain games with this problem, or a manufacturer with larger cart molds or what?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm not a collector, I'm a player, and fairly new to the atari revival, but it's my very first 7800 I'm talking about, had it for about 17 years now.

Edited by spiderallis

The 7800's cartridge guide is a little too narrow to comfortably fit many third-party 2600 cartridges. They will actually plug in, but might require a little extra effort. Someone on this forum posted some instructions for a quick fix to this problem; I'm sure some searching will bring it up.

Tempest is correct but so is everyone else. It would seem that the original 84 made units have better cart slots that are better able to accomodate the 3rd party games. However, all the 7800s have the cart slot mounted right onto the main board. As a result all the Tigervision carts won't fit since the cart slot release legs on the carts are too long to fit all the way down onto the 7800 cart slot. The fix for that is frowned upon, but it didn't bother me. I just took a pair of nail clippers and snipped the legs down until the cart fit in the slot properly.

The other fix for the later models or those with more narrow cart slots is to take a dremel or something similar and remove the inside casing of the cart slot so that there isn't anything left for the cart to snag on when inserting.

• 4 weeks later...