IGNORED

1200XL

Cool! I tell you, after a few of these minor "bug" fixes to the 1200XL, you may just find out for yourself how much better quality of a machine it is and never look back at an 800XL again! Especially, for upgrading, the 1200 is the shit! So, where did you get the Rambo XL upgrade from? I was looking for one for my 1200 for ages with no luck. I'm going a different route now with a 1MB simm upgrade, but it's more than I need really, all I wanted was a Rambo upgrade...the Supervideo mod is awsome, I have a fantastically colorful and sharp s-video image now.

Cool! I tell you, after a few of these minor "bug" fixes to the 1200XL, you may just find out for yourself how much better quality of a machine it is and never look back at an 800XL again! Especially, for upgrading, the 1200 is the shit! So, where did you get the Rambo XL upgrade from? I was looking for one for my 1200 for ages with no luck. I'm going a different route now with a 1MB simm upgrade, but it's more than I need really, all I wanted was a Rambo upgrade...the Supervideo mod is awsome, I have a fantastically colorful and sharp s-video image now.

1028929[/snapback]

I got the Rambo XL upgrade back in the day I've just pulled it out of ever 800XL that died (like 4 or 5 800XL's) but it keeps going! :lust:

1028929[/snapback]

I got the Rambo XL upgrade back in the day I've just pulled it out of ever 800XL that died (like 4 or 5 800XL's) but it keeps going! :lust:

1029288[/snapback]

Try doing the OS upgrade that is part of adding a PBI to the 1200XL. It gives you the XL 16K OS and built in basic. Just use the OS, Basic and MMU from your dead 800XL. That's what I did to one of mine and it works as the 600/800XL does.

1028929[/snapback]

1029288[/snapback]

Try doing the OS upgrade that is part of adding a PBI to the 1200XL. It gives you the XL 16K OS and built in basic. Just use the OS, Basic and MMU from your dead 800XL. That's what I did to one of mine and it works as the 600/800XL does.

1029325[/snapback]

what do I look for (munbers on the the Chips) to do this OS upgrade?

what do I look for (munbers on the the Chips) to do this OS upgrade?

1029429[/snapback]

Here is the link to the procedure. Just do the first part which is upgrading the OS and BASIC.

I have done this to 1 1200XL and it works great. No more BASIC cartridge needed and more compatibility. I plan on doing this same upgrade to a 2nd 1200XL I have and doing the 32in1 upgrade to the 3rd.

1200XL OS Upgrade (courtesy of Atari Museum website and Bob Woolley)

I just went with the 32-in-1 upgrade, that way, you have every OS you could want, total comaptibility from the 800-130xe and also Warp+ OS, IDE HD OS's, Omnimon 80 column OS, reverse basic XL/XE OS's so you can hold down OPTION to turn basic ON, etc. It's really great. Plus, the 32-in-1 does give you internal basic rev. C. Though I prefer Turbo Basic myself, which works witt all atari basic programs and speeds them up, so no basic in my Atari was never a concern anyway.

Though I prefer Turbo Basic myself, which works witt all atari basic programs and speeds them up, so no basic in my Atari was never a concern anyway.

1030343[/snapback]

I wonder if Turbo Basic could be modified to work as a cartridge?? Hmmmm.......

Though I prefer Turbo Basic myself, which works witt all atari basic programs and speeds them up, so no basic in my Atari was never a concern anyway.

1030343[/snapback]

1030381[/snapback]

I didn't see why not! :lust:

1030343[/snapback]

1030381[/snapback]

I didn't see why not! :lust:

1030394[/snapback]

not only a cartridge, but you could probably burn turbo basic onto an eprom and install it internally just like standard Atari basic! Maybe we can get AtariMax to make a new revision of the 32-in-1 which includes an OS option that uses turbo basic instead of Rev. C!

Edited by Gunstar

My best friend has an ATARI 1200xl and he needs to use what is called FIXXL in order for some games and programs to work.

I am not sure if the FIXXL is needed for the 600xl and the 800xl.

1029263[/snapback]

I really never understood all this fuss about "1200XL incompatibilities." The 800XL requires something like FIXXL to run 800 software too! So how come no one complains about the 800XL like they do the 1200XL?!? I have the 32-in-1 OS now, but before that, I NEVER ran into any incompatibiliy problems with my 1200XL other than the normal 800 ones that all Atari's beyond the 800 have! Every program I used (litrally hundreds) all ran fine. The 1200XL gets a bad rap it does not deserve! The ONLY thing of real concern with the 1200XL in my book was the lack of a 5v pull-up line on the SIO port to allow attachments that get their power from the computer, and this is a 5 min. project of shorting one simple resistor to fix. other than that, as far as I can tell, the 1200xl is every bit as compatible as the 800XL or XE machines!

My best friend has an ATARI 1200xl and he needs to use what is called FIXXL in order for some games and programs to work.

I am not sure if the FIXXL is needed for the 600xl and the 800xl.

1029263[/snapback]

I really never understood all this fuss about "1200XL incompatibilities." The 800XL requires something like FIXXL to run 800 software too! So how come no one complains about the 800XL like they do the 1200XL?!? I have the 32-in-1 OS now, but before that, I NEVER ran into any incompatibiliy problems with my 1200XL other than the normal 800 ones that all Atari's beyond the 800 have! Every program I used (litrally hundreds) all ran fine. The 1200XL gets a bad rap it does not deserve! The ONLY thing of real concern with the 1200XL in my book was the lack of a 5v pull-up line on the SIO port to allow attachments that get their power from the computer, and this is a 5 min. project of shorting one simple resistor to fix. other than that, as far as I can tell, the 1200xl is every bit as compatible as the 800XL or XE machines!

1030639[/snapback]

I ran into incompatibilities with the 1200XL I dont recall what it was, its been some time ago.

Edited by walter_J64bit