IGNORED

APE and SIOPC

sniperstorm

Basically you can attach your Atari peripheral chain to the serial port on your PC. Dos, Windows & Linux all have software that will work with a standard SIO2PC interface.

You can load disk images and game files directly off the PC. There is also stuff for advanced users like transferring files back and forth, using the internet, etc.

Steve

best is...yesterday i realised how quick the damned ape software (windows version) is in warp mode... unbelievable... a complete disc was read in few seconds.... "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" ;)

and with special ape prepeared atari native software it really kicks some but...

Basically you can attach your Atari peripheral chain to the serial port on your PC.  Dos, Windows & Linux all have software that will work with a standard SIO2PC interface.

You can load disk images and game files directly off the PC.  There is also stuff for advanced users like transferring files back and forth, using the internet, etc.

Steve

1028902[/snapback]

Yea I want to transfer files to the 8-bit and use the internet to get on telnet bbs systems. Will that all work for that?

Yea I want to transfer files to the 8-bit and use the internet to get on telnet bbs systems. Will that all work for that?

Yes. The telnet thing depends on which software you use. The windows versions of APE support incoming and outgoing telnet via whatever tcp/ip connection you have on the PC. The dos version only supports access to a modem.

Steve

steve... can i download the fullversion or unlock it via my credit card? i just need the software not the interface...

1029010[/snapback]

Yes I can send you the registered version by e-mail, just drop me an e-mail after placing your order on the web site. :D There should be a seperate entry on the order form for software only, not the whole kit.

My e-mail address is classics@atarimax.com

Thanks

Steve

Edited by classics

best is...yesterday i realised how quick the damned ape software (windows version) is in warp mode... unbelievable... a complete disc was read in few seconds.... "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" ;)

and with special ape prepeared atari native software it really kicks some but...

1028911[/snapback]

I haven't got mine to work reliably in APE 3x mode. It will sputter and I usually have to end up hitting the BREAK key to have it finish loading something. Then I'll get error 139/140 trying to do further reads. Haven't figured if it's my interface (I have a MAX232) or the software settings, but changing the timing didn't seem to help.

steve... can i download the fullversion or unlock it via my credit card? i just need the software not the interface...

1029010[/snapback]

Yes I can send you the registered version by e-mail, just drop me an e-mail after placing your order on the web site. :D There should be a seperate entry on the order form for software only, not the whole kit.

My e-mail address is classics@atarimax.com

Thanks

Steve

1029040[/snapback]

Hey are you in Cleveland? i am in Parma, what are the chances of you pming me back or e-mail me at cabacon@adephia.net and I can stop by and buy a bunch of your products, ASAP!

I haven't got mine to work reliably in APE 3x mode.  It will sputter and I usually have to end up hitting the BREAK key to have it finish loading something.  Then I'll get error 139/140 trying to do further reads.  Haven't figured if it's my interface (I have a MAX232) or the software settings, but changing the timing didn't seem to help.

1029167[/snapback]

The speed of your machine, and what you have running in the background can make a difference.

For example, I had it running on a Celeron 500, it had that same problem at high-speed and was 95% reliable in standard speed in Win98. But the DOS-only version worked 100% well at any speed.

I now use it on my XP-2400 in WinXP, no problems at any speed.

You might want to try downloading PowerMenu. You can right-click windows and change their priority, it might help.

Edited by Rybags

The speed of your machine, and what you have running in the background can make a difference.

For example, I had it running on a Celeron 500, it had that same problem at high-speed and was 95% reliable in standard speed in Win98.  But the DOS-only version worked 100% well at any speed.

I now use it on my XP-2400 in WinXP, no problems at any speed.

I don't thinks so, i always load the games in the 3x mode in an old P II 400, with the "cubemenu" or the Ape Loader, this software also supports the HD-Mirror feature.

I think your problem is the lenght or quality of your cable, when i use my cable with a large DB9 cord, the high speed modes don't work and disturbing noises comes from the Atari, like a sio error...

I don't thinks so, i always load the games in the 3x mode in an old P II 400, with the "cubemenu" or the Ape Loader, this software also supports the HD-Mirror feature.

I think your problem is the lenght or quality of your cable, when i use my cable with a large DB9 cord, the high speed modes don't work and disturbing noises comes from the Atari, like a sio error...

1029808[/snapback]

Sounds exactly like my problem! I will shorten the length to see if that improves noise immunity. I figured at first maybe it was something in the software I could tweak, but nothing seemed to help it. This is on a 1.7 GHz P4.

Sounds exactly like my problem!  I will shorten the length to see if that improves noise immunity.  I figured at first maybe it was something in the software I could tweak, but nothing seemed to help it.  This is on a 1.7 GHz P4.

1029850[/snapback]

If you built your interface with a 75189 chip try changing it out for a 14c89, or try placing an in-line resistor on the Atari data-out line. The input impedance on the 75189 is much lower than a 1489 and can cause this problem.

Steve

Sounds exactly like my problem!  I will shorten the length to see if that improves noise immunity.  I figured at first maybe it was something in the software I could tweak, but nothing seemed to help it.  This is on a 1.7 GHz P4.

1029850[/snapback]

If you built your interface with a 75189 chip try changing it out for a 14c89, or try placing an in-line resistor on the Atari data-out line. The input impedance on the 75189 is much lower than a 1489 and can cause this problem.

Steve

1030011[/snapback]

I'm using a MAX232. The SIO cable to the small PCB is about three feet long. The DB9 cable I used is about six feet to the PC. SIO 2x mode works fine.

Edited by warerat

I'm using a MAX232.  The SIO cable to the small PCB is about three feet long.  The DB9 cable I used is about six feet to the PC.  SIO 2x mode works fine.

It could be your Atari computer. Some later models have extra decoupling capacitors between SIO out and ground. This was a known issue with the USD, Happy, etc back in the day.

I'm using a MAX232.  The SIO cable to the small PCB is about three feet long.  The DB9 cable I used is about six feet to the PC.  SIO 2x mode works fine.

1030039[/snapback]

Try to shorten the cables, electrical induction appears in very long cables, and if these cables aren't isolated (with an internal shield), another interferences will take place. Try to do the cable with the lenght of a mouse cable ;)

Thanks for the tip classic :D , here in Chile te most common model is the 75c189, but i do the cable using all the resistors and diodes suggested in http://www.geocities.com/atarimods and i get no problems.