IGNORED

ATARI 800 Questions

LYNXGUY

1. I am having a keyboard problem with the ATARI 800 I got from EBAY and the spacebar is the only key that works, is there an easy fix for this ???

2. I popped the top off to make sure all the memory was there and I saw 4 circut boards instead of cartridges is this right ??

3. What order are the cartridges or circut boards supposed to be in ??

4. Is the OS closest to the keyboard then the three 16k memory boards ??

thanks

1. Possibly the ribbon connector is loose or has oxidation. Clean it with VCR head cleaner. If that doesn't work, it could be anything from broken trace/s to fried resistors or a faulty POKEY chip.

2. I think later models just had boards instead of cartridges. Plus there were heat issues which made it more sensible to do it that way.

3. I'm fairly sure with memory boards that it was either largest ones to the front - or any order.

4. Closest?

4. Closest?

What I meant was the circut board that is closest to the cartridg slots would be the OS right ??

The system reset, option, start, and select buttons are working fine and the 800 is in mint condition which makes me wonder why only the spacebar is working.

Edited by LYNXGUY

I also noticed that the space bar had a different feel and sound to it when pressed and compared to the rest of the keys.

The space bar has the same type of contact as the other keys, but is also supported by two springs and a few little brackets to keep it from flying off the keyboard. It's a bit different from the other keys, but in truth, not too much different in concept to the typical (IBM type) PC keyboard.

In the module area under the hatch...

Yeh, the first board from the cartridge slots is the OS board. After that, 16k boards. You will find them in plastic shells, but most of the time they will be out of those shells due to the heat generated by the memory boards.

doctorclu, can you tell me why the spacebar is the only key that works on the keyboard ??

Wild... none of the others work?

The 8-bit keys I have noticed in the past when they haven't been used for a while just need to be exercised. Or cleaned. Not a perfect solution I know, but the one that comes to mind for the moment.

Strange that at least a few other keys don't work. You would assume that at least some other keys on the same row or column of the matrix would also funtion. Could indicate a mechanical problem, or maybe the thing is just really dirty?

The console keys (start, reset etc) are seperate from the rest of the others (ie not matrixed and going to GTIA, not POKEY, so will usually be fine when the keyboard plays up.

Keyboard matrix here:

http://www.mixinc.net/atari/pinouts/keyxl.htm

See if any of the keys on the same rows/column as <space> still work.