IGNORED

5200 controllers

Rik

LOL... "Finished with my woman cuz she couldn't help me with my mind"...

I've been using this nick for years and years... or a variation of it. I'm sure Paranoid had some influence in my choice of it, years ago.

And if you watch me in any of my more heated threads, it isn't uncommon for my opponents to claim that I live up to the nick... so, truth in advertising and all. :D

And to think that song was ment as an album filler..lol.. A total classic and Sabbath banged out the whole thing from blank paper to super hit in about 10 mins.

ODD FACT: Did you know Crazy Trains main riff was just Randy Rhodes tuning his gutiar and a cracked out Ozzy told him it was an awsome riff and they made the tune around it?? I kid you not!!

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Heh... ok... pretty soon we'll be busting out our Zebra skin spandex pants and tassled leather Jackets... which just won't be a pretty sight at all...

<raising my lighter and bangin' my head>

Heh. That reminds me, totally off topic. One night a buddy and I went to a local bar, and a club had just cleared out and come in. It was mostly a bunch of punks, but there were two vintage 80s hair-rockers, a dude and his girlfriend. We got drunk and got to talking, and by the end of the night the guy was going, "Dudes, I've got to hand it to you, man... you guys really know your classic metal... excuse me... your classic *80s* metal..."

It wouldn't have been so funny if we didn't both look like your average late 20-something suburban dorks.

This may be a stupid question but would it be possible to build some sorta adapter that let you use a modern PC controller with a 5200? I'm uselsss with electronics so I don't know the first thing about it. My 5200 has been sitting for years because I took the controllers apart and now they're just a pile of parts.

You can buy the Redemption adapter here, which will allow you to plug a variety of different controllers into your 5200. But to really enjoy the 5200 experience, you want to use a 5200 controller, IMO. All of the Redemption controllers are digital... which makes it a nice accessory to have, but there are a few titles that just do not cut it with a digital stick (or for that matter, a d-pad). No matter how people try, unless you just don't play those games, you can't really get away from needing a 5200 stick.

As far as that pile of parts, I'd say you should try to repair what you have. There is an excellent walkthrough on the disassembly and re-assembly of the 5200 stick... you can buy all the parts that might be pad, either here, or on eBay, or from Best Electronics (as well as being able to buy a completely refurbished gold-dot 5200 stick for about $40, there, too. This is your BEST bet, it sounds like).

If you want more info, you can search the forums, or PM me and I'll give you all the links you need.

Who is the 5200 FAQ owner? Does the 5200 FAQ have links the the 5200 Stick repair page and to Best Electronics and other 5200 vendors?

You might want to browse the 5200 faq, too. At the blue bar at the top of the page where you see the words, "Have You Played Atari Today", go to the far right and you'll see 2600, 5200, 7800, 8-Bit, etc...

Click 5200... and from that page, you'll be able to find the FAQ.

Thanks, I have the link to the 5200 controller and 2600 paddle maintenance bookmarked for a rainy day. I read about the gold sticks but I thought you had to provide a stick for them to replace and it wasn't just a case of sending them $40 and getting a new stick in return. I'll take one more look at that.

All of the Redemption controllers are digital... which makes it a nice accessory to have, but there are a few titles that just do not cut it with a digital stick (or for that matter, a d-pad). No matter how people try, unless you just don't play those games, you can't really get away from needing a 5200 stick.

Both the Redemption 2600 edition, and 7800 edition are digital. However the Redemption PC edition is analog (although it looks like the AtariAge store is out of stock for the PC edition).

All of the Redemption controllers are digital... which makes it a nice accessory to have, but there are a few titles that just do not cut it with a digital stick (or for that matter, a d-pad). No matter how people try, unless you just don't play those games, you can't really get away from needing a 5200 stick.

Both the Redemption 2600 edition, and 7800 edition are digital. However the Redemption PC edition is analog (although it looks like the AtariAge store is out of stock for the PC edition).

If I recall Redemption PC it was gameport only, too. HArd to get gameport sticks now.