IGNORED

Unknown Device

Yes, but the connection is backwards. It looks like an adapter to use an Atari printer on a regular computer. It looks like the adapter plugs into the end of a standard printer cable coming from a PC since the connector is a centronics female instead of male.

Edit... Beat me to it Emkay!!! LOL

Edited by Guitarman

The picture is a little too foggy to see the exact specs of the connector.

Look at the non-atari connector. Is it a 36 conductor (18 wide) or a 50 conductor (25 wide) ?

Centronics printer connectors are 36 conductor. The cable on the printer-end is usually "male".

The connector you show in the picture is a "female," which would typically be the connector built into the printer.

External SCSI cables, however, are a 50 conductor Centronix style connector, and have male at both ends, so if that is the case, you may have some unheard of "SIO2SCSI" type interface.

It is obviously homebrew, so it could be just anything used for testing or diagnostic purposes.

But another possibility is that it’s the Xformer to PC (or ST) cable. Instead of making it in one piece. It was done in such a way that you could hook a standard printer cable. Yeah, the box looks too big for that, yet it could be.

I say open it up. In any case, you wouldn't want to hook it up not knowing what it is supposed to be.

Either a XFormer or APE cable I'd say. But if it's an APE cable, you'd need a gender changer plug to plug into the PC.

Might have just been built that way because the owner didn't want to cannabilize a SIO cable (I built my first one in a similar fashion).

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have opened up the device but as you see it's complete isolated with some kind of plastic/glue :(

atari_device2.jpg

On the backside of the device is an address from England, maybe the manufacturer:

D.W. Fern

265 Chester Road

Streetly

West Midlands B74 3EA

Maybe this can help to identify it.