IGNORED

Yars' Revenge shocking surprise

Random Terrain

Yars' Revenge was one of my favorite games when it was new. It's a little too blocky looking and 'flickery' after playing some of my favorite Imagic games though. Getting back on track, I was playing the game tonight and something happened that doesn't bring back any memories. After you play for a while, the swirl can change direction. If you're not expecting it, it can almost knock you out of your seat.

I haven't played more than a few rounds at a time since the 1980s, so I guess it's understandable that I would forget, but with all of the stupid little things I remember, it seems like I would remember that. It was a cool and shocking surprise.

Edited by Random Terrain

Yeah that happens when you get into the higher levels... either when the shield turns pink or blue (blue, I think, but I suppose I could look at the manual to be sure). It's pretty nasty! But the one thing to remember is that the swirl can never go BACK towards the right side of the screen.

Edited by Room 34

It does that when the shield turns gray at 150,000 points.

To kill it, sit just behind the neutral zone with your cannon ready. Let it fire, then scroll to the other side of the screen. The swirl will change direction, travelling vertically. Time your shot as the swirl goes up or down, then move at the last possible second.

Swirl dead, extra life gained. Easy.

Bring those pink shields on with the triple swirl rate.

All the current emulators have options available that completely eliminate 30 Hz flicker (like the shield flicker in YR). Press ALT-P in Stella to toggle it on and off or start z26 with the -f flag.

Actually, in the current version of Stella (with the latest .pro file, I assume), the "phosphour effect" is by-default enabled, which is why I didn't see any flicker when I took a quick glance in an emulator. :dunce:

All the current emulators have options available that completely eliminate 30 Hz flicker (like the shield flicker in YR). Press ALT-P in Stella to toggle it on and off or start z26 with the -f flag.

Actually, in the current version of Stella (with the latest .pro file, I assume), the "phosphour effect" is by-default enabled, which is why I didn't see any flicker when I took a quick glance in an emulator. :dunce:

Thanks. I have Stella 2.0.1 and I don't see a way to get rid of the flicker. Is it time to download a new version again?

Thanks. I have Stella 2.0.1 and I don't see a way to get rid of the flicker. Is it time to download a new version again?

Yes, the phosphor effect was added in the 2.1 release, and is automatically enabled for those games that need it.

I like Yar's Revenge as well. Flicker doesn't bother me either.

No more flicker anyway with the new version of Stella. No more flickering doors in Mouse Trap either. I'm going to go through more of the games and see what else can be de-flickered.

Incidentally, there is a blue shield, according to the instruction manual: http://www.atariage.com/manual_page.html?S...e=8&maxPages=12

Your screen colors may differ, of course.

-DS

OK, good, I'm not crazy. It's just been a long time since I've either played it to that point or read the manual. (I can pretty reliably get to the gray shields if I set my mind to it, but I think I've only made it to blue a couple of times.)

yeah, I just made a reply to one of your posts and ended up seeing three photos of Barbara Streisand. That was scary as hell.

Yep, that was in the thread regarding the microwave. I wish I'd had that picture as a smiley--it would have worked perfectly!

*goes off to play Yars' Revenge*

I just stopped at almost 50,000 point myself on game 2A. I'd been hitting a quotile here and there thinking if I hit the swirl repeatedly I'd get the easter egg. Well, this time, I hit nothing but swirls (all in mid air), and no easter egg. I just shut the game down.

Thanks for whoever clarified this, as the extra lives boosted my score by at least 200K.

Here's another way of killing the swirl when it's chaging directions:

I have a great trick to hit the Swirl mid-air when it's the Swirl that changes directions to follow you (gray and pink shield stages). Remember, you gain an extra life for hitting the Swirl mid-air.

First, gain the Zorlon Cannon by eating a piece of the shield or touching the Qotile. Wait in the center area of the screen staying close to the top and wraparound from the top to the bottom of the screen continuously, thus drawing the Destroyer Missile up and down in the center of the screen where it can't hit you.

When the Swirl forms, go directly to the upper left corner close to the Zorlon cannon. Wait for the Swirl to shoot towards you, (the Swirl should be shooting towards the upper left corner where you are waiting.)

Just as the Swirl is about the hit you, push up on the joystick to wraparound to the bottom of the screen to draw the Swirl back down the left side of the screen towards you. Shift Yar slightly to the right so that the Swirl won't hit you as it comes down the screen. Wait there and quickly blast the Swirl with the Zorlon Cannon at the bottom of the screen!

This takes a few tries but once you master the timing, you will be able to quickly gain extra lives and continue your game. I just played a game and was able to do this several times successfully (the 5th ghost)

The swirl cannot change dircetions if it's on a particular vertical line. That line is near the left side of the neutral zone, but I can't explain exactly where it is. It's not a good area for Yar's accuracy, either, so try to stay off of it and one of the above strategies for killing the swirl.

Also, the swirl can never travel to the right--ever. It can only change direction twice, and it must either travel vertically or diagonally towards the left.

Most times when I die to the swirl, it's one of three ways:

1. I charge to the shield as soon as the stage begine, and the Swirl blasts me in the face.

2. I fly to the middle at the stage's beginning, wrap around top to bottom to avoid the Swirl, then continue towards the midle of the screen, hitting the Swirl after it changes direction.

3. I line up a shot perfectly, goof the timing, and shoot my own dumb self.

Edited by shadow460