IGNORED

How many 7800s were sold?

Trip_Cannon

I think the 7800 sold 1 to 3 million systems worldwide. I remembered reading about this a long time ago

I read that the 2600 sold over 20 million if I rembered right and has to be world wide

I read in an issue in gameformer back in sometime 95 that the Jaguar sold 140,000 systems. I don't know if that is worldwide. It think the issue was around March-july 1995. It might have around 250,000 units at best. It might have been 500,000 tops worldwide.

Jag cd- no info but was limited in sales. I am thinking around 25,000 to 30,000 units. It came out around the time atari was being sold.

Lynx? no idea. I remembered read in gamepro in 1992 that atari hit a mark in systems, and games together.

5200? no idea

Edited by 8th lutz

The only data point I ever read was in ACE Magazine out of the UK in 1990 or so. This was the same mag where they talked about the guys who made Tower Toppler and how they were working on an upcoming release of GAUNTLET on the system. In the same article, they talked about the 7800 having sold approximately 2 million consoles in the USA at that point.

Given the install base of the NES being about 30+ million, 2 million sounds reasonable. I've always felt that this system coasted on Atari's reputation, but they way they bungled it, subsequently hurt the Lynx and Jaguar's chances.

I read that the 2600 sold over 20 million if I rembered right and has to be world wide

I read in an issue in gameformer back in sometime 95 that the Jaguar sold 140,000 systems. I don't know if that is worldwide. It think the issue was around March-july 1995. It might have around 250,000 units at best. It might have been 500,000 tops worldwide.

Jag cd- no info but was limited in sales. I am thinking around 25,000 to 30,000 units. It came out around the time atari was being sold.

Lynx? no idea. I remembered read in gamepro in 1992 that atari hit a mark in systems, and games together.

5200? no idea

Take all stats with a grain of salt, but if you were the guestimate using the various figures thrown around over the years, it's something like this:

2600: 20 million to 26 million

5200: 4 million

7800: 2-3 million

XEGS: No idea. Compute once said they sold 2 million in on Christmas but I find that REALLY hard to believe.

Lynx: 750,000 to 1 million (using AtariUser's confusing stats)

Jaguar: 150,000 to 360,000

Very much a case of diminishing returns. 2600 had the benefit of a LONG life and big popularity. 5200 was hurt by being discontinued so quickly. 7800 coasted on Atari's history and 2600 compatibility. By the time the Lynx came along, people didn't trust the Tramiels and by the time the Jag came along, they thought Atari was almost bankrupt.