IGNORED

5200 games

atari_2600_master

hey guys I am buying an atari 5200 and it is coming with star raiders and pacman.....typical games....... are there any other games for the 5200 that you suggest ibuy

Qix.

Space Dungeon.

Qix.

Space Dungeon.

and are 2600 compatible with the 5200 system?

Not really. There IS a 2600 "adapter" for the 2-port 5200, but it's really a complete 2600 that plugs into the 5200 cart slot.

Berzerk, Centipede, Kangaroo, Qix and Ms. Pac-Man are absolutely mandatory. If you can, try to get your hands on a Trak-Ball as well...

Space Dungeon is great, but extremely addictive. (But that's the hallmark of a truly classic game, isn't it?) If you get it, try and clear your schedule for at least three days...

If I didn't already own it, I would buy a 5200 for Qix alone. I love it!

The 5200 also has the best home version of Centipede. Aside from those two, I'd say Berzerk and Moon Patrol get the most attention. (The colors and graphics on Moon Patrol are "off" but I think they're better than the arcade!)

Just save yourself the troouble and get a Multicart... either a dipswitch version if you can find one or a USB one if you've got the extra cash.

They're almost all great games. Countermeasure is my must-have title. It is a 5200 "exclusive". But the ones mentioned here, Qix, Centipede... it has a very good Pac Man... Space Dungeon. Joust. I could go on and on...

hey guys I am buying an atari 5200 and it is coming with star raiders and pacman.....typical games....... are there any other games for the 5200 that you suggest ibuy and are 2600 compatible with the 5200 system?

Gremlins

Rescue on Fractalus (best game on the system IMO)

Berzerk

As others have said, the 5200 is a great system, and almost every game available for it is very, very good.

Having said that, I have to advise you on Countermeasure. IMO, Paranoid is wrong; Countermeasure isn't a 'must-have' title - again, in my opinion.

I'd say CM is OK, but not great. When I was 13 and got my 5200, for a time Countermeasure was one of the few games we had. Out of a small handful of games, my brother & I would occasionally put Countermeasure in and play for a while. But we soon got to the point where the game was fairly easy and pretty boring.

If it's cheap or part of a lot, it's not bad, but I wouldn't recommend you spend too much time or money seeking it out.

Now, my favorites:

Star Raiders

Space Dungeon

Ballblazer

Dreadnought Factor

Choplifter

Miner 2049'er

Kaboom (WITH modified, paddle controller)

Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man

Missile Command

Baseball or Football

Here are the games i own. All are good.

Jungle Hunt

Pac-man

Mrs. Pac-man

Real sports baseball

Real sports soccer

Berzerk

Star Raiders

BallBlazer

Counter Measure

Moon Patrol

Robotron 2084

Qix

Vanguard

Super Breakout

Joust

Centepede

River Raid

Super Cobra

Galaxian

Missle Command

Mario Bros

I think thats all of them. Quality system, i've been collecting for 10 years and have only had my 5200 for about 6 months and regret everyday I waited that long to pick up this fantastic system, its easily my favorite retro console.

Edit: i forgot i had Mario Bros, i actually recommend you not get this game, it's not good.

Edited by JagFan422

Noah is my Bro has a point, there. Countermeasure does become repetitive and somewhat easy to beat fairly quickly. The achillies heel of the game is being able to run to the nearest silo and guess the 3 letter disarm code very early on any level, and moving so slow that this becomes the only option.

The advantage is, it is a very common game, and you won't spend much on it, even if you try. If you can find a place that has it new, sealed in the box, expect to find it priced at between $7-$15.

And, despite the negatives, it is still a "must have", and may be the definitive title for the 5200. It captures the era of the 5200, it has incredible graphics, engaging and innovative gameplay (the use of the two buttons to control turrent and tank movement, for example), and is still fun to play, even today. If you don't have Countermeasure in your library, you're not *really* a 5200 fan. The only other titles that really come close to being representative of the 5200 are maybe Space Dungeon and Qix.

But really... again... Superbreakout is a must have title for the 5200, IMO. It is a great version of the game. Pac Man is a must have title for the 5200. Helmet is right, it might be easier to suggest which ones NOT to have.

Gorf gets negative reviews. I don't like Super Mario Bros. on the 5200.

A lot of the games that get negative reviews, though... Q*Bert, Frogger, Miner 2049er... it is because of the joystick.. and I personally find all three of these games I used as examples enjoyable on the 5200. You just have to learn how to use the stick right.