IGNORED

atari modem to pc modem - I don't get it.

Atari-Jess

Check this out:

http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

You can build an adaptor quite easily.

Also, the easiest method, would be to connect both modems to two different phone jacks just like normal, and call a friend. Tell your friend to either mute or be quiet on the phone. Type ATD on one machine and ATA on the other.

Also of interest:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/fax_to_modem.html

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom...e_intercom.html

According to this you can hook both modems to a Y to the phone jack. I would then try typing ATD2 ( or any number) on one computer, then type ATA on the other. Then once they are connected, unplug the Y ( but leave the two modems connected to the Y). This might work:

Possiblities to do the same thing without building the circuit
If you have two telephone lines then it is easy, just use fax to call to your FAXXMODEM. And if you don't have two phone lines, it's still not too hard. If you have your fax machine and pc fax-modem card plugged in to the same phone line with one of those little "T" widgets. You can start to send fax to your own phone number. In that way you get dial tone and line current from your normal telephone line. Then you hit "answer now" on the. When PC answers to the FAX machine, unplug the "T" form telco jack to get rid od overriding busy noise. Now everything should work nicely. 

When you use FAX machine as scanner the resultant scanned image might not be worth the trouble. The FAX image in black and white (no gray scale), and the resolution is quite poor. 

Edited by Cybernoid

Check this out:

http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

You can build an adaptor quite easily.

Also, the easiest method, would be to connect both modems to two different phone jacks just like normal, and call a friend. Tell your friend to either mute or be quiet on the phone. Type ATD on one machine and ATA on the other.

Also of interest:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/fax_to_modem.html

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom...e_intercom.html

According to this you can hook both modems to a Y to the phone jack. I would then try typing ATD2 ( or any number) on one computer, then type ATA on the other. Then once they are connected, unplug the Y ( but leave the two modems connected to the Y). This might work:

Possiblities to do the same thing without building the circuit
If you have two telephone lines then it is easy, just use fax to call to your FAXXMODEM. And if you don't have two phone lines, it's still not too hard. If you have your fax machine and pc fax-modem card plugged in to the same phone line with one of those little "T" widgets. You can start to send fax to your own phone number. In that way you get dial tone and line current from your normal telephone line. Then you hit "answer now" on the. When PC answers to the FAX machine, unplug the "T" form telco jack to get rid od overriding busy noise. Now everything should work nicely. 

When you use FAX machine as scanner the resultant scanned image might not be worth the trouble. The FAX image in black and white (no gray scale), and the resolution is quite poor. 

Wow. Why not spend a few bucks and put together and SIO2PC cable? Youll get literally 100 times the speed, and wont have to deal with term programs or file transfer protocols.

Wow. Why not spend a few bucks and put together and SIO2PC cable? Youll get literally 100 times the speed, and wont have to deal with term programs or file transfer protocols.

Yeah. This would definitely be the best way to transfer data, especially being able to read directly from the PC harddisk via the PC mirror option.

But, he was asking about how to connect two modems together... I should have asked, "why?" :)

Edited by Cybernoid

I think you are thinking of the MPP-1000C or MPP-1000E modem handler. I had the MPP-1000E modem back in the day. It worked great, but it is only 300bps.

I don't think that it makes the joystick port into a RS232 port, but it is something more proprietary... Although, I am not sure of the actual protocol... I thought that it was actually using 2bits in parallel for RX and 2bits for TX...

Naah, There is a PD R: handler that does make the joystick port RS-232 compatible. It is mssing a few of the "handshaking" signals, but as long as you are just using a nullmodem cable, and set your term programs to "xon/xoff" it shouldnt matter. All you should need is TX, RX, and ground.

Naah, There is a PD R: handler that does make the joystick port RS-232 compatible. It is mssing a few of the "handshaking" signals, but as long as you are just using a nullmodem cable, and set your term programs to "xon/xoff" it shouldnt matter. All you should need is TX, RX, and ground.

Cool! :cool: I was not aware of this driver. It does sound interesting.... Do you know where to get this and give it a try... would be cool for dumb-terminaling in to a Linux box...

If no SIO peripherals are in use, it should be possible to use any SIO2PC cable with a special R: handler. Tying the SIO bus is a big drawback, but on the other hand you could run it much faster.

I have done this before. I have a SIO2PC box that I have connected to a mod'ed 1050. The APE R: device is great! I just thought that using the joystick port would be interesting to try... what speed can you acheive.

I have done this before. I have a SIO2PC box that I have connected to a mod'ed 1050. The APE R: device is great!

Sorry, I didn’t express myself correctly. I wasn’t talking about using APE or similar software. Just using a SIO2PC cable (that most of us already have) as a simple connector and voltage level adaptor.

You will need software in the Atari side that will receive and transmit through Pokey in raw mode, without using the SIO protocol. You then won’t require anything at the other side, it might be even a device that can’t run any APE type software.

I have done this before. I have a SIO2PC box that I have connected to a mod'ed 1050. The APE R: device is great!

Sorry, I didn’t express myself correctly. I wasn’t talking about using APE or similar software. Just using a SIO2PC cable (that most of us already have) as a simple connector and voltage level adaptor.

You will need software in the Atari side that will receive and transmit through Pokey in raw mode, without using the SIO protocol. You then won’t require anything at the other side, it might be even a device that can’t run any APE type software.

Yeah he doesnt have an SIO2PC interface. I offered to build him one, but he's really hard up for cash at the moment.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Sorry, I didn't express myself correctly. I wasn't talking about using APE or similar software. Just using a SIO2PC cable (that most of us already have) as a simple connector and voltage level adaptor.

You will need software in the Atari side that will receive and transmit through Pokey in raw mode, without using the SIO protocol. You then won't require anything at the other side, it might be even a device that can't run any APE type software.

Ah. Now I understand. I thought you could bypass the SIO protocol and use the SIO port as a RS232 port... I see! As long as there are no other devices connected like drives... So, load your code from a drive, then disconnect the drive? Does such software exist?

Ah. Now I understand. I thought you could bypass the SIO protocol and use the SIO port as a RS232 port... I see! As long as there are no other devices connected like drives... So, load your code from a drive, then disconnect the drive? Does such software exist?

Other devices don't need to be disconnected or turned off. You just can't (shouldn't) access them while "RS-232" transmission or reception is performed. This is not much different than when using an 850 in concurrent mode. I'm not aware of any such software, but may be it exists.