IGNORED

RF Cable Cut

brianrus

Long story short, the RF Cable coming out of my 4 port Atari 5200 is severed. I only want to reattach an RCA connector to the end and use it as is. My switchbox & AC Adapter are fine, and I have no electrical engineering knowledge in order to perform the video or power mods. So I'm fine with using the switchbox and running it through the cable input of the tv.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips on fixing the cable. I was looking around for a similar RCA connector at Radio Shack, and I could only come up with the following 2:

Phono (RCA type) (model #274-321)

RCA Phone Plug (model #274-339)

By looking at how the RCA connector was on the RF cable, it looks like it's just a matter of connecting the inner wiring through the normal opening, and then soldering the outer wiring to the outside of the RCA connector. Does this sound right? Any suggestions? Anybody had to fix their RF cable before and have a suggested connector to use?

I'm assuming the inner wiring was the Atari to TV signal, and the outer was the power?

Long story short, the RF Cable coming out of my 4 port Atari 5200 is severed. I only want to reattach an RCA connector to the end and use it as is. My switchbox & AC Adapter are fine, and I have no electrical engineering knowledge in order to perform the video or power mods. So I'm fine with using the switchbox and running it through the cable input of the tv.

So I was wondering if anyone had any tips on fixing the cable. I was looking around for a similar RCA connector at Radio Shack, and I could only come up with the following 2:

Phono (RCA type) (model #274-321)

RCA Phone Plug (model #274-339)

By looking at how the RCA connector was on the RF cable, it looks like it's just a matter of connecting the inner wiring through the normal opening, and then soldering the outer wiring to the outside of the RCA connector. Does this sound right? Any suggestions? Anybody had to fix their RF cable before and have a suggested connector to use?

I'm assuming the inner wiring was the Atari to TV signal, and the outer was the power?

It all sounds right to me, though I've never had to do it.

Between those 2, I'd use the metal ones. They look nicer, and you only have one left over instead of 7.

Between those 2, I'd use the metal ones. They look nicer, and you only have one left over instead of 7.

Thanks, I'm actually going to give that one a shot!

I should think Best Electronics might have one? Might be worth the hassle

I emailed them to see if they have anything. I noticed that there is also an RCA jack on the motherboard of the console right next to where the cable comes in and connects to the board. I wonder if that is functional, and whether I can use a cable with an RCA connector on both ends? I would think Best Electronics might sell one of this if it actually would work.

Thanks for your help!

I noticed that there is also an RCA jack on the motherboard of the console right next to where the cable comes in and connects to the board. I wonder if that is functional, and whether I can use a cable with an RCA connector on both ends?

Yes, the internal RCA jack is active. That's what I used myself when I bought a 5200 with a cut RF cable.

Mitch

I noticed that there is also an RCA jack on the motherboard of the console right next to where the cable comes in and connects to the board. I wonder if that is functional, and whether I can use a cable with an RCA connector on both ends? I would think Best Electronics might sell one of this if it actually would work.

I believe any standard RCA cable will work with that. May be depth issues on the connector.

Yes, the internal RCA jack is active. That's what I used myself when I bought a 5200 with a cut RF cable.

Did you have to desolder the current cable connection from the motherboard? I know nothing about soldering and the like.. so I was just thinking of clipping the current cable and taping up the end (ugly but sufficient for me).. IF the RCA connector on the board actually will work without any intervention on my part.

I believe any standard RCA cable will work with that. May be depth issues on the connector.

But then I'd lose the power right? The cable has to be this special cable with the wiring on the outside of the inner wiring.. no? It certainly would be cool just to use a standard cable instead!

But then I'd lose the power right? The cable has to be this special cable with the wiring on the outside of the inner wiring.. no? It certainly would be cool just to use a standard cable instead!

There's nothing special about having wiring on the outside. All RCA cables have 2 conductors.

The part connecting the outer shells is typically a ground, and among other things, it shields the signal conductor in the center from interference.

Having said that, I WOULD recommend a fairly thick RCA cable. Don'tgo overboard with a THX-certified MonsterComponent WTFEver, but don't grab a flimsy 2600 cable either. Most retail composite video cables shold do the job nicely.

Aside from the fact that thicker = better shielding = better picture, the 5200 cable is using the ground for it's power supply so it's a good idea to err on the side of caution(even if Atari DID spec for far more wattage than they actually needed).

There's nothing special about having wiring on the outside. All RCA cables have 2 conductors.

The part connecting the outer shells is typically a ground, and among other things, it shields the signal conductor in the center from interference.

Having said that, I WOULD recommend a fairly thick RCA cable. Don'tgo overboard with a THX-certified MonsterComponent WTFEver, but don't grab a flimsy 2600 cable either. Most retail composite video cables shold do the job nicely.

Aside from the fact that thicker = better shielding = better picture, the 5200 cable is using the ground for it's power supply so it's a good idea to err on the side of caution(even if Atari DID spec for far more wattage than they actually needed).

Thank you very much for all your help! You can see how much I know about this stuff.. I didn't realize that the fact that it was on the outside didn't matter. Was kinda wondering how that all worked anyway. So it uses the ground for the power huh? Pretty strange setup. Going to see what I can find as far as a thick RCA cable and give it a shot.

Thanks again to everyone! I guess I certainly came to the right place!