IGNORED

if the 5200 was released today..

darklord1977

yes, i use keyboard ONLY for FPS. But the last fps i played was Quake 1. I don't use my computer for gaming, other than online mmporg. So back in the days of the original Wolfenstein, i used only the keyboard, there was no reason to do anything but move around shoot, open doors and strife, Then doom came around, still no reason to do anything but the above, then Duke Nukem 3d came around, it auto aims, so still, no reason to do anything but the above. Yes, you need to swim and stuff, but its all perfectly easy to use with just the keyboard.

Sadly, no. Once a device gets etablished, it's almost impossible to replace.

Oh please. The gamepad completely displaced the joystick in a single console generation. Input devices aren't fashion accessories, they're functional. The mouse wouldn't be such a popular gaming input device if it didn't do the job really, really well.

Back when Doom first came out, people were accustomed to using the keyboard (or, yes, a gamepad) to control the primitive first-person shooters of the day. But Doom also included mouse support. And deathmatch. And in facing off against other players, the community discovered something-- mouse players consistently wiped the floor with keyboard players. By allowing you to turn as quickly and precisely as you could move your hand, it was demonstrably the superior control option.

"Just plain broken", eh? Yeah, right. You're a funny guy.

Just because a mouse+keyboard is better than keyboard+nothing doesn't mean that there is nothing better than a mouse+keyboard.

Aaaaand: the reason everydamnbody uses a mouse+keyboard for FPS/RTS on their PC is probably first and foremost because every computer comes with a mouse and a keyboard. The same reason that people play Halo with a gamepad instead of buying a mouse and keyboard for their Xbox - the Xbox comes with a gamepad so that's what you learn on and end up using.

And to say that a keyboard and mouse is the pinnacle of perfection in FPS gaming seems a little...odd...to me. I mean, is it really preferable to have a gaming device with 80 buttons on it that you never use? :ponder:

It's the best option using the controllers that come with the machine.

Of course, I have a crappy old computer and don't play FPS on it. I mostly use it for playing RTSs and I use...a keyboard and mouse. :P