IGNORED

Food Fight: Getting Instant Replay

7800Lover

One of the features of Food Fight that made it neat was the instant replay feature. According to the manual, if you did well during a round, you would get an instant replay where the game shows what happened on that round with Charlie moving, the chefs coming after him, and food being thrown.

My question is: Has anyone figured out the pattern or conditions that have to be met for the instant replay to activate? Does it have to do with how many points you score or maybe a certain amount of food projectiles you throw? :?

I never really figured how to do it myself but I usually got the replay by doing a watermelon level and just throwing the food anywhere those chefs were. I just waited until the ice cream almost melted and finished the level. That's how I got the replay but I rarely got a replay on the other levels. It seems to me you could only do a replay once every five levels.

I could swear I've gotten it on other levels.. It seems to me that the two things that have to happen are either 1) narrowly avoid touching a chef (possible several of them), and 2) narrowly miss getting hit by flying food... The Ice Cream cone seems to not have any bearing on instant replay (although I could be wrong)

I've seen/had IR on very early levels, well before any watermelon shows up.

It has to do w/ close calls you have, & how long you wait to eat the cone I think. You're more likely to get an IR if you wait longer rather than going straight to it, obviously.

Whoever here had recent contact w/ the programmer, about that secret hidden msg, maybe you could ask him? Keith is his name?

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I have a theory that it's actually TIMING that triggers an instant replay.

If:

- you make it through the level without losing a Chuck AND

- your timing is such that when your level is sped up in the instant replay, it will end just as the music winds down -- and I have a theory that there are multiple "edit points" -- that is, multiple timings so that the music can end seamlessly at certain points.

and I have a theory that there are multiple "edit points" -- that is, multiple timings so that the music can end seamlessly at certain points.

There are. Occasionally I've had an instant replay last long enough that the music kicks into an extra bridge before playing the ending.

Somebody ought to dig the whole song out of the code, to see how long it actually can last.

Ok, since I did a partial disassembly trying to resolve the Food Fight easter egg mystery, I decided to dig into the disassembly further and figure out the rules for instant replays. From my examination of the actual program here is what I see:

As some people mentioned above it mainly has to do with having only a little time left on the cone (you can't leave the level in less then 12 seconds), and having a certain quantity of "close calls" with the chefs. There are also restrictions on which levels it can happen on and how often it can happen. Replays can happen on levels 5-17, 100-499, 600 and up. Seems like an odd set of numbers but that's what the code says. Also once you get a replay you have to wait for 5 more levels where you didn't leave the level early before you will get another replay.

Dan

Ok, since I did a partial disassembly trying to resolve the Food Fight easter egg mystery, I decided to dig into the disassembly further and figure out the rules for instant replays. From my examination of the actual program here is what I see:

As some people mentioned above it mainly has to do with having only a little time left on the cone (you can't leave the level in less then 12 seconds), and having a certain quantity of "close calls" with the chefs. There are also restrictions on which levels it can happen on and how often it can happen. Replays can happen on levels 5-17, 100-499, 600 and up. Seems like an odd set of numbers but that's what the code says. Also once you get a replay you have to wait for 5 more levels where you didn't leave the level early before you will get another replay.

Dan

Whoah! Mystery (pretty much) solved. Thanks for that!

Well that pretty comfirms a good chunk of my theory of how to get the replays. It was always easier to get a replay on the watermelon levels simply because of the unlimited ammo to draw out the level. An odd thing tho' I once got an replay but I died in the replay.

• 2 years later...