IGNORED

IT'S ALIVE!

joeybastard

What do you get when you have a dead trackball and some broken joysticks lying around...

FRANKENSTICK.

It works great and is much more fun to use than a regular 5200 stick due to better fire buttons and Start/Pause/Reset that always works.

post-1401-1144283888_thumb.jpg

It plays great on joystick games because it is a 5200 joystick essentially. I removed the trackball innards except for the board with the firebuttons/keypad on it. I had to cut out most of the mounting plastic for the trackball spinners too to make room for the 5200 stick. The stick was cut just below the bottom pot to fit into the TB case. I then cut the TB cord and matched up the joystick wires to the TB connector. I then mounted the joystick to the top half of the TB case with 2 big ugly screws but you can't see those in the picture. I'll take a picture of the inside later on when I get home. It's ugly in there but it works great so far. No more hand cramping for me.

Edited by joeybastard

I'm inspired. Doesn't sound all that difficult to do.

BTW what did you use to cut off the bottom of the joystick, a steak knife?

Man that is one ugly chop job on the stick! :lolblue:

It's not hard just measure out the stick placement carefully, that was my mistake and the reason I needed to use the "big ugly screw" I mentioned.

I cut the plastic out with a pair of dykes. I wasn't concerned with what the inside and bottom of the unit looked like so I just did it the quickest way. Some of it was just broken off with my fingers.

Edited by joeybastard

I did one of these as a kid. The nice part was that I made sure I didn't damage any of the trackball parts so that I could put the track ball back in. Had to sacrafice a joystick though. :( The trackball was too expensive back then to wreck. Not that there cheap now.

Now someone has to make a steering wheel out of one like Dan Kramer, the designer of the trackball, wanted to do. The hard part is finding a small, light-weight, wheel. So far the only one I can think of is the Coleco one.

Allan

I did one of these as a kid. The nice part was that I made sure I didn't damage any of the trackball parts so that I could put the track ball back in. Had to sacrafice a joystick though. :( The trackball was too expensive back then to wreck. Not that there cheap now.

Now someone has to make a steering wheel out of one like Dan Kramer, the designer of the trackball, wanted to do. The hard part is finding a small, light-weight, wheel. So far the only one I can think of is the Coleco one.

Allan

I couldn't figure out a way to fit the joystick in there without hacking out the plastic mounts for the trackball spinners. Did you rig up something else to hold the stick pots?

Allan

Why not use parts from one of the newer PC, PS2, or Xbox units?

Allan

I thought those were stationary? The only one I know of that actually moves is the Colecovision one.

Allan

What about using a driving controller or paddle inside a trakball shell and attaching an older steering wheel to it? That's the easiest alternative I can think of (unless someone is sitting on a stash of arcade steering wheels and lets them go cheap).

Allan

I couldn't figure out a way to fit the joystick in there without hacking out the plastic mounts for the trackball spinners. Did you rig up something else to hold the stick pots?

I think what I did was cut the joystick keypad part off and then used something like a piece of wood to make the joystick case fit tight into the trackball case. It was a long time ago but I remember it worked great and was easy to put the trackball parts back in.

Allan

Allan

I don't mind that just as long as the wheel doesn't look to 'modern' or 'space-age' like many of them do.

Allan