IGNORED

Hacking Galaxian into Galaga how hard would it be?

sku_u

As a fan of the 5200, I've always wished Atari had made a version of Galaga for the 5200. I am not a programmer, so this is more a curiosity to me than anything else. Would it be easier to hack Galaxian into Galaga, or would someone more or less have to start from the ground up and make a full blown homebrew to get Galaga onto this system?

While I've always thought the 7800 version was decent, the way the aliens fall is very similar to the way the Galaxian aliens fall (not arcade perfect at all) suggesting to me that at least some Galaxian code was borrowed when creating Galaga and is what sparked also my interest in this topic.

Given the recent wave of hacks for the 5200, I'm also wondering what's next now that the Pacman theme's pretty much been done to death?

As a fan of the 5200, I've always wished Atari had made a version of Galaga for the 5200. I am not a programmer, so this is more a curiosity to me than anything else. Would it be easier to hack Galaxian into Galaga, or would someone more or less have to start from the ground up and make a full blown homebrew to get Galaga onto this system?

While I've always thought the 7800 version was decent, the way the aliens fall is very similar to the way the Galaxian aliens fall (not arcade perfect at all) suggesting to me that at least some Galaxian code was borrowed when creating Galaga and is what sparked also my interest in this topic.

Given the recent wave of hacks for the 5200, I'm also wondering wha's next now that the Pacman theme's pretty much been done to death?

Don't know if it could be done, but would be really cool to have on the 5200.

Start from the ground-up.

No-holds barred, use pre-shifted sprite images, unwound code instead of loops. If it takes 64K then let it take 64K.

Using EORed software sprites in bitmap mode might be the way to go. Probably with some creative combining of PMGs as well.

Or skip the countless hours of work with no financial reward and play Galaga on one of the MANY MANY other systems which are all ready to go.

I think that classic gamers must be getting bored. All that's left is fantasies over playing certain games on certain systems. All of us own nice versions of Galaga for the 7800 or NES (if not one of the many Namco collections). Why dream of a crappy 5200 port? "Galaga is cool on the 7800, but I just wish that it could look worse somehow."

No one system was ever meant to play every game. I can understand wanting better versions of Space Dungeon or Countermeasure for the 7800/Jag/etc but why would we want to move backwards?

Or skip the countless hours of work with no financial reward and play Galaga on one of the MANY MANY other systems which are all ready to go.

I think that classic gamers must be getting bored. All that's left is fantasies over playing certain games on certain systems. All of us own nice versions of Galaga for the 7800 or NES (if not one of the many Namco collections). Why dream of a crappy 5200 port? "Galaga is cool on the 7800, but I just wish that it could look worse somehow."

No one system was ever meant to play every game. I can understand wanting better versions of Space Dungeon or Countermeasure for the 7800/Jag/etc but why would we want to move backwards?

Because the 7800 version is a terrible port of the game and doesn't do it justice. Just out of curiosity, since you do not own or even like the 5200 (you've made that very clear), why even comment on it? Every port is going to be superior on a system like the PS2. The whole point of programming for older systems is to test the limits of that system. Why make homebrews at all by your standards?

I bought my first 5200 in 1983 and I've owned three of them over the years. I have an impressive stack of carts, Wico sticks and even the Space Dungeon holder! I compete on the 5200 against the MegaManFan on a regular basis. Why would you assume otherwise?

Whatever you get off on is your business. I'm just saying that it makes no sense to me. Especially the idea that a shitty Galaxian port could become anything other than a really shitty Galaga hack.

I like to support homebrew developers when i can and support the 8-bit conversions for the 5200, the 5200 is my favorite classic console that stays hooked up to a TV at all times. Galaga on the 7800 sucks. the collision detection is horrible which makes the game very frustrating at times watching bullets go right through the bad guys.

And Nova, your comments are exactly what cause Homebrewers to turn away from doing what they do. Hacking, starting from scratch, homebrew is still a project started by a particular person to satisfy his own need and if nice enough, share with the community. Most homebrewers do this out of their own time with little to no compensation. Being a member of the GP32 forums, i know this all to well and have seen coders stop coding for systems because of 1 or 2 people with attitudes that you have. If you don't like the idea, then don't comment on it. If someone picks up the project then community should support the person regardless.

I like to support homebrew developers when i can and support the 8-bit conversions for the 5200, the 5200 is my favorite classic console that stays hooked up to a TV at all times. Galaga on the 7800 sucks. the collision detection is horrible which makes the game very frustrating at times watching bullets go right through the bad guys.

And Nova, your comments are exactly what cause Homebrewers to turn away from doing what they do. Hacking, starting from scratch, homebrew is still a project started by a particular person to satisfy his own need and if nice enough, share with the community. Most homebrewers do this out of their own time with little to no compensation. Being a member of the GP32 forums, i know this all to well and have seen coders stop coding for systems because of 1 or 2 people with attitudes that you have. If you don't like the idea, then don't comment on it. If someone picks up the project then community should support the person regardless.

If a homebrew programmer decides to stop doing what they love just because 1 or 2 people have "attitudes," then said programmer is a weak-willed pussy. What a childish, gutless position to take.

Listen to the whining in the scene these days. "Oh no, someone said they didn't like one of the games on my favorite system. That makes me :x ." "Oh no, I made a mock-up of GTA for the Odyssey 2 and someone didn't kiss my ass over it." Who promised you people that EVERY single idea EVER concieved of by a classic gamer must be seen as a winner by EVERYONE?

We're not even talking about a real project here. If you guys insist on throwing a hissy fit over any form of disagreement, might I suggest that you'd feel more comfortable on an American Idol message board with others of your own kind.

wow mr. tuff guy forum poster.. what is your problem? Again, if you don't like the idea, don't post, its just that easy i assure you. All homebrew programs, great or not, came from an idea. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to bash it up and down.

People that aren't familiar with homebrew always have the same mentality. "its all for me", its not, its all for the coder.

Edited by JagFan422

Why is it a move backwards? Yes compared to the 7800 it might be, but...isn't classic gaming why most of us are here? People are willing to pay $$ to have Kaboom hacked into a guy dropping shit instead of bombs so why not improve on Galaxian?

It is pretty clear you dont like the 5200, in fact based on your almost constant bashing of the system I'd swear you and ZylonBane are the same person.

Galaga is my favorite arcade game of all time. I have been hoping that Eduardo would make Galaga for the Colecovision. If anyone makes Galaga for the 5200 I would buy it. I am planning on buying the arcade game soon but I still would like to have a version for both the Colecovision and the 5200.

THAT would be sweet.

The more classic games into classic systems the better. There are classic arcade games that have been released on game consoles in japan like moon cresta being on Nichibutsu Arcade classics for ps 1.

Games systems like the 5200 or the 7800 need their limits to be tested and are more likely to then the jaguar due to the amount of time making a jaguar game with the amount of people working on one game.

I didn't think all the pac-man type games are done for the 5200 or the 7800 yet . There games like lady bug, mouse trap, and Luck'n chase haven't been done. It's not done to death compared to some of the 2600 games that were hacked from like space invaders I think.

Galaga would good for the 5200 if the controllers would work great on it.

Edited by 8th lutz

Anything is possible to port on a classic system as long it something completely impossible like making Final Fantasy 7 for the 5200. Some of the things from games like that can be done as long its not stuff that disc media can do, along with 3d graphics, and the length of the game

We're not even talking about a real project here. If you guys insist on throwing a hissy fit over any form of disagreement, might I suggest that you'd feel more comfortable on an American Idol message board with others of your own kind.

The only problem with that is I didn't ask whether or not it would be worthwhile. I asked how hard it would be. :ponder:

...and who says it's not a potential project? ;-)

Anything is possible to port on a classic system...

Sure, if you define "possible" as "so cut down and simplified from the original version that the only thing that hasn't changed is the name".

A lot can be done on classic hardware, but this rainbows-and-unicorns "anything is possible" attitude isn't good for anybody. Anyone who considers themselves a classic gaming fan should feel obligated to educate themselves about the technical capabilities of their favorite hardware.

In my opinion, it is not at all about testing the Atari 5200's capabilities. When we play a game on the Atari 5200, like any other system, it has it's unique mood, that may come from the controllers, also the look and feel of the machine, and the overall games. The Atari 5200 collection of games are unique. Even Galaxian which is very diffent from the arcade is unique on the 5200. I love it. And if a clever fellow port Galaga on the Atari 5200, it will be unique. If you port, make it from scratch.

There are classic arcade games that have been released on game consoles in japan like moon cresta being on Nichibutsu Arcade classics for ps 1.

..Which by the way is a really crappy port of Moon Cresta.. especially for a "collection". :sad: The patterns and swooping movements of the enemies is so off.. heck everything feels wrong about it.

Sure, if you define "possible" as "so cut down and simplified from the original version that the only thing that hasn't changed is the name".

ehh come on. Of course it'll be stripped down. That's part of the charm! :D

Let's face the fact that a lot of 2600 arcade ports weren't exactly feasible in the first place (hello Crystal Castles & Stargate) yet turned out to be nice little ports. I mean you figure if Entex could put Defender into a VFD handheld, then "a Galaga" could be made for the Atari 8-bits. Why the heck not.. it's definitely not impossible. Strip it down. :P

Edited by NE146

Anything is possible to port on a classic system...

A lot can be done on classic hardware, but this rainbows-and-unicorns "anything is possible" attitude isn't good for anybody. Anyone who considers themselves a classic gaming fan should feel obligated to educate themselves about the technical capabilities of their favorite hardware.

I am well educated on the technical part of my systems the 2600,7800, and lynx to name a few of my game systems by what I play. The 5200 is stronger then the 2600 in technical specs to my understanding, but not quite as powerfull as the 7800 in some areas.

My comment was taking some parts of a game into another game without calling the game the same name. Lets say if ff7 type of a game is on the 5200, There would have a couple towns , a couple other places and a few of the spells from that game in 2d with in being very stripped down. a course games after the 5200 era would be stripped to be played on it.

Edited by 8th lutz

Because the 7800 version is a terrible port of the game and doesn't do it justice. Just out of curiosity, since you do not own or even like the 5200 (you've made that very clear), why even comment on it? Every port is going to be superior on a system like the PS2. The whole point of programming for older systems is to test the limits of that system. Why make homebrews at all by your standards?

you want a good version of galaga ? get galaga 90 for the turbograx 16..its very nice.. and whats wrong with the 7800 galaga? i have both ,and they both fun to play. it was the first 7800 game i bought.... but why would anybody want galaga on the 5200? (i admit it would be nice to see though) when you can get galaxian? its basically the same

.... but why would anybody want galaga on the 5200? (i admit it would be nice to see though) when you can get galaxian? its basically the same

I don't find them the same at all. Gameplay and especially sounds. I like Galaxian, but it's made me wear out my mute button. :)

-Brian