IGNORED

variant(s) of 5200 Decathlon box?

Zwackery

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?Soft...7&BoxStyleID=64

I noticed that the box scan for the 5200 version of The Activision Decathlon shows the Activision logo at the bottom uncentered with "For the Atari 5200" in a blue box next to the logo. Were there any made that merely had Activision centered at the bottom? I ask because as far as I can tell with the H.E.R.O. box, there is basically nothing on the printed outside of the box that would distinguish between 5200 and Colecovision versions. There were yellow, round stickers on the outside that indicated which platform the game was for, and inside the cart holder was different because of differing cart configurations, but in terms of external cosmetics the sticker was it. Any info is appreciated.

The "For the Atari 5200" on the front of the box scan in the database is a separate piece of cardboard that holds the gatefold front cover shut. I believe all of the big box Activision games for the 5200 originally had this piece of cardboard intact. The main box should be the same as Colecovision & C64 in some cases too. The plastic trays that shipped inside them, were multi-use as well. Just cost saving at it's finest.

Wow, I've never run across that extra cardboard band or sleeve, whatever it may be with the 5200 designation as a separate piece of cardboard. Weird. It seems to make more (economic) sense just to print the console type right on the box, or as happened later, go to a multi-format box with a sticker, or as they did at the end, recycle all old stock and sticker all the old 2600 boxes.

Pretty much all the Activision releases I have for the 5200 and Colecovision stipulate the console right on the box at the bottom. I suppose you could put a CV cart into the plastic tray, but it would rattle around quite a bit. The 5200 titles I have with those trays, like H.E.R.O. and Pitfall II, don't indicate which format on the outside of the box, and these are also the gatefold style boxes along with Space Shuttle, Zenji, and Zone Ranger. Maybe the gatefold is the key to this puzzle. My CV collection isn't nearly as complete as my 5200 one, so I'm speculating more from the 5200 side of things.