IGNORED

Is there a non-standard CURRENT build of MAME that still has the Defender Cheat?

Danno

When I first got into MAME, one of the things I loved was the Defender controls cheat that let you use the joystick for all 4 directions of movement, instead of the stick for up/down and thrust for left/right movement.

But somewhere around ver .86 - .88 it was removed when they converted the controls setup in the source files and never put back in.

Do any of the Non-standard builds still incorporate this cheat?

hmmm I thought you could do that yourself by setting the thrust & reverse buttons to the left & right keys, but now that I think about that.. that won't work because you'd just end up reversing every time!

To be quite honest the old Mame cheat for the controls worked well for the game on an introductory level but once the action got real hot and fast, they failed. Why? Because when trying to do very rapid left/right reversals and movements the controls would occasionally freeze up (so you tried to move the joystick left and your ship would still be pointing right, etc.). If you plan on getting really good at the game, the original controls it was designed for (with a seperate thrust & reverse button) is the way to go.

But for casual play then yeah.. the simplified way works fine. So I guess my question is the same as yours.. Does anyone know how to activate it? :P